JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is it with some members and their "locations"? I can understand, and actually I encourage people to be creative with their user names. Locations, on the contrary, should simply follow the "city, state" format. Although I can sort of deal with "PDX", "Southern Oregon" and the like, we need to realize we are getting new members from all over the nation. Some people like me may have trouble knowing where "The Cap, Oregon" is. Only people from the NW or who travel to the NW understand "Seatac". Check some of these price winners:
New England
Granite Falls
Meridian
Purtlund (I know, Portland phonetically, but still...)
somewhere special

This is a very small sample. I don't find them cute anymore. I think it important we have accurate locations especially when posting ads on the classifieds. I say, if you can't find it accurately with Google maps, it needs fixing.

Now, let's the sword fight begin.

What is it with some members and their "locations"? I can understand, and actually I encourage people to be creative with their user names. Locations, on the contrary, should simply follow the "city, state" format. Although I can sort of deal with "PDX", "Southern Oregon" and the like, we need to realize we are getting new members from all over the nation. Some people like me may have trouble knowing where "The Cap, Oregon" is. Only people from the NW or who travel to the NW understand "Seatac". Check some of these price winners:
New England
Granite Falls
Meridian
somewhere special

This is a very small sample. I don't find them cute anymore. I think it important we have accurate locations especially when posting ads on the classifieds. I say, if you can't find it accurately with Google maps, it needs fixing.

Granite Falls is in Washington. Also, this is NW Firearms Community. I don't really care if people that aren't from the Northwest get it. This is a regional firearms board.

Granite Falls is in Washington. Also, this is NW Firearms Community. I don't really care if people that aren't from the Northwest get it. This is a regional firearms board.
...until the day you want to buy a handgun face-to-face from someone in Granite Falls, NC or MN. This is a NW forum, but it is transcending. NWFA is taking people from everywhere and they will start using their cute little names you and I won't get, and won't find funny any more.

I know the last thing we want is more rules regulating everything we do. But we should be able to find some common ground here, maybe not require but at least encourage people to use actual map locations, especially if one wants to post firearms buy/sell ads here. Is that really so much to ask?

...until the day you want to buy a handgun face-to-face from someone in Granite Falls, NC or MN. This is a NW forum, but it is transcending. NWFA is taking people from everywhere and they will start using their cute little names you and I won't get, and won't find funny any more.

I would prefer if we didn't take people from everywhere. There are plenty of other gun forums; part of the attraction of this one is the fact that it was regional.

its pretty irritating when i'm trying to strike a deal and suddenly discover, 5 PMs into it, that the person i think i'm getting/sending is 2,000 miles away. kind of makes me go "why the bubblegum are you trying to do business on a PNW board when you live in Nova Scotia?"

but rules are gay... and so is this thread, um'fraid.

I joined this site because it was local and have been able to get face to face deals. I am also on GlockTalk and theHighRoad and every ad on those sites seem to be people back east but I already knew that when signing up. They also have a feature for the seller when posting their ad that makes you type in your zip code. When a potential buyer is looking they can type in their zip code and the distance between the two parties shows up in miles. I'm from Grants Pass, Oregon by the way.
Mike

I joined this site because it was local and have been able to get face to face deals. I am also on GlockTalk and theHighRoad and every ad on those sites seem to be people back east but I already knew that when signing up. They also have a feature for the seller when posting their ad that makes you type in your zip code. When a potential buyer is looking they can type in their zip code and the distance between the two parties shows up in miles. I'm from Grants Pass, Oregon by the way.
Mike

That is a good idea!

Mike

Seconded.

uhhh, Im from Minnesota, and know where granite falls is. I've lived in Oregun now for over a year. CAN I please stay...Forever, I really don't want to go back except for opening of Walleye fishing, and for Whitetail deer opener, which is today and it is the first time I have missed it in 22 years of hunting. But I do agree somewhat with the OP.

If a member wants to put something weird in his personal info I'm fine with that. But if he's advertising something for sale, or want to buy, I think he should in his ad give his general location. I'm near Medford, and lots of the for sale items are far North of me.

When you unfold a map (yeah, I know, low-tech) of the US, Oregon is "waay over there on the left". I have no desire to narrow it down more than that for the general populous. If I'm looking to buy something, I let the other person know where I would be coming from in the PM. If I ever decide to sell anything, I'll put it in the ad, both title and body. I've been trolling the internet since it was the internet and I've had more than one psycho decide he didn't like me and thought he was going to come after me so I don't feel like making their job easy.

elsie

I don't care if you are located at the dark side of the Moon. My peeve is when you try to do business thru NWFA. I've seen a couple of good, actionable ideas and I hope my rant will stimulate a coupe more. Let the sable rattling continue.

I hear what you are saying... It is kind of annoying when you see something you want to buy but can't immediately discern if its in practical driving range. Its a problem easily solved through posting specific details in your ad though - just got to get people on board with crossing the t's and dotting the i's. Perhaps expanding the required menu before posting ads would do it, Craigslist for example uses county's in at least some menus.

When you unfold a map (yeah, I know, low-tech) of the US, Oregon is "waay over there on the left". I have no desire to narrow it down more than that for the general populous. If I'm looking to buy something, I let the other person know where I would be coming from in the PM. If I ever decide to sell anything, I'll put it in the ad, both title and body. I've been trolling the internet since it was the internet and I've had more than one psycho decide he didn't like me and thought he was going to come after me so I don't feel like making their job easy.

elsie

Shiiiiaaait If you want to come find me,I'll make it easy for ya. Heck Sequim ain't that big anyway.

I do like the zip code idea.That would make it easier.But elsie,I want to know before the start,how far you are away as I am 100 miles from the city

New England
Granite Falls
Meridian
somewhere special

Rumor has it that 26 additional states would qualify if we were to recognize Utah as part of the great NW...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top