JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently hold CWP's in WA and OR. I am a bit confused as to where I CANNOT carry. I'm not speaking of places like courthouses, airports, or POSTED places. Anyone have any advice?

Hey there Rum,

I'm not familiar with Washington's law and how they may vary, but Oregon is fairly permissive as far as where you can carry. Schools, banks, etc, places that a lot of people think would be off limits, are not. Basically, the only places you can't carry in Oregon are:

-Federal facilities, essentially meaning any building where the employees are employed by the Federal government, ie, Social Security Office, Ranger Stations, etc.

-Secure portion of PDX, ie past the security checkpoint.

-National Parks, although this is now set to change in... January? Can't remember the exact date. Currently in Oregon includes Fort Clatsop, Oregon Caves, Nez Perce Park, John Day Fossil Beds, and Crater Lake.

-State Forest lands like State camping areas, state day use areas, etc

-Potentially Indian Reservations, depending on the individual Reservations policies.

-Courthouses, although this is technically at the discretion of the Judge, who in some cases do permit firearms.

-And last (and least), Private Property when clearly, properly posted, meaning every entrance is posted, and you were unable to reasonably enter the facility without seeing the signs. Any private business (meaning any business that does not except public money, ie public schools, etc) can post that weapons are not permitted. However, it is not a violation of the terms of your concealed weapons permit to carry there anyway, technically the only thing you can be charged with is Trespass, meaning the owners of the business can ask you to leave if you choose to carry anyway, and only if you refuse to leave could you be charged with a crime. This last section means different things to different people, but there's a saying that many of us use, which is "Concealed means concealed!" Meaning, if you are carrying concealed, then no one knows it but you. That's an individual decision to make.

State Police or County Sheriff web pages are often good sources for this type of information, if you have more questions or need more info about Washington.

Of course, this is only advice you read on a gun forum on the internet, so as always, take it with a grain of salt, but most of that is straight off the Marion County Sheriff's Office CHL application.

Stay safe..!

State forest lands are OK, as far as I'm aware. Multnomah County Sheriff office's letter says you cant but I believe that's just hot air (or so says OFF)

Edit: Not sure about WA, I would check the applicable statutes if I were you...

Generally speaking, I would say you can't carry anywhere there is a metal detector. Other than that concealed means concealed, right? ;)

Thanks for all the input! Seems like all of the responsibility falls on those who chose to do it right. I just don't unknowingly want to do something that would jeprodise my permits.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top