JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here is a "news" story from the washington post on the weapons used in the tragic killings in Connecticut! What I do not understand is why there is no rebuttal or opposing story that even makes an attempt at calling out the complete BS that the media outlets continue to flood the populace with!!! Please explain to me how a non firearm owning individual is supposed to discern between two sides of an argument when only one side is presented???? I get that print media is on life support and failing miserably but there are so many other options including massive avenues for social media! It really disgusts me to read ALL the garbage that is all over TV, newspaper, etc etc. But just in the last 96 hrs there has been an overload of misinformation and lies!!!!!

I am not a member of the NRA for this exact reason! In my opinion they do not near enough to balance out the lies that are being circulated!

Here is a link to the story Sandy Hook mass murderer Adam Lanza, 20, 'deeply disturbed kid' - NY Daily News

NRA, SAF and others are not jumping to conclusions, not going for ratings. They will respond when the dust settles and FACTS, not opinions are learned.

Some good is coming from the Newpapers. With respect to the Conn. shooting, the newspaper reporting is showing how disturbed this young man was. There my be a theme developing about the school district which maybe that the mother suffered fustration in obtaining services for her impaired son and she was overly protecteive of her son ????

Less mental illness reporting is being produced by the news for the Clackamus shooting. In both circomstances there appeared to be two shooters who were mentally ill and committed criminal acts of mass homocide as different from criminal personality types. Both shooters may have vented their catathymic rage and felt relief with their twisted suicides.

Most folks that work in jails are fully away that both types (mentally ill or criminal types) that are intent on getting a gun illegally, will do so. No law will stop them. Conn. had the 10 round clip limit and that did not stop the shooting.

...What I do not understand is why there is no rebuttal or opposing story that even makes an attempt at calling out the complete BS that the media outlets continue to flood the populace with!!!

I am not a member of the NRA for this exact reason! In my opinion they do not near enough to balance out the lies that are being circulated!

Here is a link to the story Sandy Hook mass murderer Adam Lanza, 20, 'deeply disturbed kid' - NY Daily News

Uhhhhhh:

Obama wants ‘action regardless of politics' for gun-free zone tragedy.

<broken link removed>

Anti-gun mayors, including Seattle's Mike McGinn, have wasted no time pushing their gun ban agenda in the wake of the Sandy Hook school tragedy, and one Democrat pol has even been quoted suggesting that President Barack Obama exploit the massacre.

<broken link removed>

And then there were the radio shows Gottlieb and I did Friday, and the television interview Gottlieb did Friday and the radio show I did Saturday morning and I'll be on Gresham's GUN TALK on Sunday

You just gotta know where to look and what to listen to....

I read that article twice thinking I had missed something, but I am not seeing why the OP is so upset (other than the firearm pics). Can JackFrost or someone point to why there is outrage? Seriously - not a troll, just don't get it.

Let me re-phrase my point then. Why is there not a stronger push back from the 2nd Amendment crowd trying to dispell the misinformation campaign??? I get that there are people out there (including you Dave) that are vocal and obviously there is talk radio but what I am trying to ask is why is there not a national push from gun owners and lobyists alike to right the lies being spread?? I am not outraged by it, merely curious more than anything! I do not think it should be about who yells the loudest or about "competing" for attention. Simple, logicaly stated facts and numbers go a long way.
I don't want to ruffle any feathers with this question, especially those that have been dedicated to providing accurate journalism reporting. I guess more than anything I am wondering if anybody else feels the same way I do?
I read that article twice thinking I had missed something, but I am not seeing why the OP is so upset (other than the firearm pics). Can JackFrost or someone point to why there is outrage? Seriously - not a troll, just don't get it.

Last Edited:
The NRA folks are probably polishing their resumes.

As for SAF, I hope Alan is looking for a better spokesman after his performance on CNN last week. I know SAF is a big business for him personally, but he really needs to find someone better to handle the PR side.

It's not helpful for us to engage with the gun grabbers this early. Let the hysteria die down a bit first.

I write a letter to the editor after every one of these incidents, but I usually wait a couple of weeks. The gun grabbers do more harm to themselves than anything we would say by exploiting this stuff to make a political point mere hours after the event. Let them have some rope.

I am thinking Misterbill is correct. My guess is that anti gunners expect a knee jerk reaction from NRA and others, but maybe by giving people a breathing room period more folks will actually take the time to listen to pro gun arguements than they would now. Just a guess, but it seems to make sense to me.

PS, on kind of related topic, while there is a lot of anti assault weapon (or whatever people call them) hysteria I saw on the news last night that gun stores are doig overwhelming business nowadays - folks either are buying for personal protection or in anticipation of gun control in the future. The store featured in the newscast had its biggest sales day ever in the 27 years it has been in operation.

How many of the mainstream mass media outlets do you think invited comment from the NRA, SAF or others? I'm betting none. Not on their agenda; not when emotional 'debate' pumps ratings so well. They might be heard from on outlets that they normally have access to, but at this point, it's a lot like having an emotional fight with your wife. No one wants to hear, or even can hear and acknowledge, any other point.

Maybe after things have settled a bit, then more might be heard on both sides.

Plus the fact that I have heard more changes in this story, more different versions than any since 9/11. First it was a 24 year old named Ryan, then it was his younger brother. Used only handguns and an AR in the car; no he used an AR, etc. I'm feeling like the media should be restricted on what they report until they can actually get the facts straight rather than throwing every little unsubstantiated tidbit out there the second they hear it. But I guess that's what happens when the talking heads try to compete with twitter and faceplantbook.

elsie

Wait, what?
You are expecting the NYT to interview pro-gun spokesmen (PC ALERT for spokes"persons") at a time like this?
Even if an NRA or SAF spokesperson raided the editorial room and made (a) statement(s), the NYT would either decline to print it, or manage to misquote them.

Media bias is more about what they don't show you, than the slanted way in which the make their presentations.

You need to revise your expectations.
This is NOT the NRA's or the SAF's fault.
This is the fault of the media (Note that I didn't say "news") sources made available in the mainstream.

How many of the mainstream mass media outlets do you think invited comment from the NRA, SAF or others? I'm betting none.

elsie

You'd lose that bet. We got calls from, lemme see now, KIRO (Gottlieb did that one, they're a CBS affiliate in Seattle), the Associated Press, Fox News, I did the BBC Friday evening, a radio show in Rhode Island Saturday morning, I turned down NPR, and I know a lot of the press reads my screed... and the next week will probably be just as much fun,,,, ;)

http://now.msn.com/pro-gun-senators-turn-down-meet-the-press-after-newtown-shooting

All 31 U.S. senators who support gun rights reportedly declined to speak on Sunday&rsquo;s "Meet the Press" in the wake of the Newtown shooting. The show featured discussions on gun control but only had participants speaking who favored limiting access to firearms. MTP producer Betsy Fischer Martin clarified via tweet that pro-gun politicians were invited too, but had turned down the offers.

They are doing a favor to all gun owners by keeping silent while the country processes what happened. If, and when, discussion of any new firearms legislation takes place at a legislative level, they are ready to act.

Right now the general, uninformed public regards the NRA as some wackos that spend oodles of money with politicians because they believe every American should own a machine gun to hunt Bambi. They're wisely keeping quiet until the facts get in and there's actually legislation to counter beyond the usual hysteria and rhetoric

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top