JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in Northeast Portland, discovered two old rifles stashed in my 1910 home basement rafters which appear to be mechanically intact (no rust, action all seems fluid), but I'd like to ensure they're totally safe before taking them out to a range or some remote shooting area. If anyone has recommendations about good gun inspectors/cleaners in Portland (would prefer to stay in town if possible), I'd appreciate any assistance. (Hard to tell from Google or other sites who's respected in this regard.)

20171124_175617.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Velzey is close.

Looks to be a Marlin 1893 and a sporterized Mauser of some flavor. The Marlin could have legitimate value, the sporterized Mauser likely not so much.

It's a long shot, but you should also have an FFL run the serial numbers to make sure they aren't stolen. Velzey can likely do that for you if you can convince him to inspect them.

If you fancy a drive south a few hours, I would be happy to do the inspection.

i wouldnt restore them. id get them inspected to see if theyre safe to shoot and go shoot'm!!

that marlins pretty sweet!!

Last Edited:
Thanks for all the help, I'll post back here once they're actually functioning and we get an opportunity to try them out somewhere. (Probably raises the 2nd question, which is I don't get out for shooting much around Portland, didn't know where one can do that within some reasonable distance. Shooting ranges, obviously, but would enjoy just being out somewhere natural also.)

If you head to the coast on occasion, there are 4 public lanes off of the 26 towards Tillamook.

N Fork Wolfe creek rd.

Set up by Tillamook State forest in conjunction with active input from users on this forum.

Has its own info thread on here.

I "think" there are also safe areas up Mt Hood, but am not certain, never been shooting up that way.

Likely also info up on here though.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR