JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I want to do a build(1st one). I want to take it slow. Not looking to make a budget rifle cause I can buy that on a shelve. Something I can pick my parts up when I feel like I got time and I have researched what I want.

So my question is where do you guys buy parts at? Locally? Online? What are good lowers to look at? Im hoping by building an AR I'll appreciate it more. So let me know ow where to go and what to kinda look for.

My uses will be mainly bench shooting and if I'm lucky yote hunting but that's just a fantasy lol.

OpticsPlanet, Lanbo's Armory, Monmouth, Palmetto, White Tiger Tactical and I keep an eye on sponsoring-vendor Gun.Deals. For some specialty parts I watch Mako Group's (FAB Defense's US distro) newsletter for sales and deals--I hold out for 20% off, sometimes like last Black Friday it gets as good as 30.

Monmouth for Toolcraft BCG's, then everything else I decide on 2 or 3 options for parts I want, plug 'em into Gun.Deals's price-search engine and whoever comes out most reliably in the bottom quartile of the price range across the board becomes my primary supplier for the project, with second-best mopping up anything where either they have a much better price or primary doesn't stock it.

Above all, NEVER pay full MSRP!

Look at Aero Precision they are out of Tacoma, WA.
They make awesome parts, uppers/lowers.

I buy parts all over.
Palmetto state armory, joeboboutfitters, Aero Precision, brownells, opticsplanet, amazon

In store
Curts of Mcloughlin/99. They have great small parts, uppers and lowers, barrels, handguards are full msrp.
Shooters supply in vancouver is pretty good too.
Find parts in store is hard to do.

I bought my first AR at Curts and I still got it but man every time I go in there I just feel ignored or I'm bothering them especially if I as noob questions. That's why I'm asking here.

I also like Quantico Tactical--they're a pain in the arse for me to get to, but they've been very good for me on both hardware and helping with my research and education. Sanchez and one of his guys even showed me a few tricks for assembling an LPK... :)

Where is Quantico at?

Yeah Shooting systems I think it's called is really cool in Vancouver. They have two benches set up so you can build your rifle in there.
They are pretty cool and helpful in there.

I learned building ARs by youtube and on here.

Literally had my iphone playing the build videos while assembling. After the first-second one, it was easy.

I tend to buy online, for the most part. I use places like Optics Planet, Amazon, Ebay, Brownell's, Palmetto State Armory, Midway, Aero Precision and some others I'm not recalling at the moment. Lots of good options online, it helps if you know what you want first, then you can shop around for the best prices.

Don't forget the classifieds here on NWFA - I've bought plenty of parts, both new and used here. You can find just about everything you need for a build at some point in the classifieds - start with the Parts and Accessories classifieds. If you need a lower, just know they will be under the firearm classifieds since they are the serial'd part of the gun.

As for Curt's, well, I know they have a great reputation, but my experiences with them are similar to yours, so I really don't bother with them anymore. Too bad too, because I drive by the shop every day.

One resource I poke at frequently is the GunDeals section on Reddit (reddit.com/r/gundeals).

Numerous sales on various parts and firearms get posted there daily. I saved a couple hundred on parts when rebuilding my AR a couple of months ago by keeping an eye on sales that were popping up.

As mentioned above I buy most of my parts online whenever sales occur. For local, try Oregon Rifle Works in Tigard. They have a dedicated section to building your own AR with all parts to build an upper or options for complete uppers. I have only been in once, however they seem very friendly and responsive to the needs of their clients. Good luck!

My favorite guy to buy from is Erik at Limitless. LIMITLESS AMERICA
Really nice guy, great customer service. He specializes in AR and Glock building and has a really good selection. He isn't an FFL so he only has 80% lowers. you can order online, or if you ever have time to visit his shop in Washougal,WA I highly recommend it. It's a 45 min drive for me but worth it. He has dozens and dozens of uppers already built. He goes out of his way to make sure your happy with what you get. Prices are OK.. a little high on some things and great on others... but it's one of those local, family supporting businesses that I like to spend the little bit extra to help support. I got a free "Hillary for Prison" tee shirt for spending over $100. Ive also used Sporting Systems in Vancouver, WA a lot. Very cool shop with huge parts selection. I've bought a couple lowers from them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top