JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Picked up a .300 Blackout upper in a heck of a trade - it wasn't the 5.56 20" I was looking for, but it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

I've looked at local shops, and so far Sportman's Warehouse has the best local price I found - but it was just shy of $20 / box for 110 grain FMJ's (which seem awfully short, and have round noses, not long and pointy like the other 300blk ammo I've seen online, these things have over a quarter inch of wiggle room in the mag!)

For a buck a round, I might as well have built a .308.

Brownells, MidWay, Cabela's, and SGammo haven't been terribly great price-wise either.

So for the .300BLK lovers out there - where can I get some inexpensive ammo to shoot with? I do not reload, so that's out right now. Thanks.

When I first picked up my upper, i got my hands on as many different types of ammo i could and i figured out what my rifle likes. I have a CMMG upper, 16" barrel with 1:7 twist.
The cheapest 300blk ammo i've been able to source locally in the longer variety (147gr+) has been the Fiocchi and the PNW Arms. The smaller projectiles (i.e. 110gr) tend to run too short and don't work well for me. I experienced feeding issues with them regardless of manufacturer.

The heavier projectiles worked best in mine.
There's a big difference in OAL in those cartridges.
I just went and picked up some of the factory ammo I have sitting around and here's the info...

Hornady 208gr AMAX Subsonic - 2.185"
Fiocchi 150gr FMJBT - 2.141"
Hornady 110gr V-MAX - 2.092"
(these are not OAL's from the manufacturer. I pulled out my caliper and measured them.

This is pretty much the cheapest I've ever seen 300blkout. Never tried it myself but at about $0.52 per round, you can't beat that unless you reload.

American Quality Ammunition .300 AAC Blackout, Full Metal Jacket, 147 Grain, 2000 fps, 250 Round Loose Bulk Box $129.79

<broken link removed>

..." So for the .300BLK lovers out there - where can I get some inexpensive ammo to shoot with? I do not reload, so that's out right now. Thanks ".
--------

Purchase of, Inexpensive, Retail Factory Ammo .... ( sorry ) makes me chuckle . ..LOL .
If you buying ammo factory bulk . Break your loads into 2 categories . Sub & High-Vel . Find a factory label that Runs in each & stick with .
If you start to Re-Load . give me a PM . I am actually close in your neighborhood .

for Cheaper-$ ammo cost, Hand-Loading is really where it's at in this particular Caliber . Hand-load fine tuning for reliability & shooting lots of rounds in Semi-auto AR .
In this Caliber with running semi- AR15 platform . Ammo & Magazine are tied very closely together in this Cal. for proper working function with proper OAL of the Round .

Shot this round many years . Semi & Bolt . I hand load & lots of others do also for this particular Niche of Cal. .
This is a fun caliber to shoot . it started off as 30-221 Rem . Bastardized to the 'Whisper' and now it's SAAMI in 300BLK . SAAMI may bring uniformity to Chamber cut and factory retail ammo . but 300blk is still a ' Freak ' odd duck with it's own unique flaws of function from AR15 & Boltaction with Feed and extraction .
Hand-Loading is really where it's at in this particular Caliber . Fine tuning for reliability & shooting lots of rounds in Semi-auto . It's short Brass with a little tiny Shoulder trying to feed and chamber from a longer and very reliable 556/223 magazine .

The ammo I got was HPR 110s - would much rather have the longer 147s - it certainly seems like these shortys would have feeding issues.

My upper is a CMMG 16" 1:7 stainless, mid length gas system.

I have a Colt USGI carry handle on its way - the fellow I traded with for it needec the rear sights for another gun.

Handloading would surely be fun and a way to save in the long run but for now the up front expense is more thsn I care to spend - other financial priorities.

The HPRammo you bought in 110 weight .
for factory retail . If it is those Barnes (black tip) TacTx Rounds ? then they are the bubblegumsizzel for Factory BLK & high Vel. with Good Fungtion on your Upper .
If I was to blow money for boxed BLK ammo I would get those . Those bullets are Long as your going to get with 110 grn weight in .30 cal . They get really good Velocity performance also .

Found some more ammo to try today - Australian Munitions 144gr fmj supersonic stuff. The bullet profile is longer and more like what I have seen in .300 before. Got it for $0.69 / round in a 50 round box. Also grabbed the last 20 round box of the same stuff on the shelf. Its $0.74 / round in the smaller box. Next on my list of stuff to find n try will be some of the ballistic tip or hollowpoint stuff - I dont even use fmj in my 5.56 for bump in the night work - and all of our guns save for the bolt guns are kept ready to repel boarders - I have 40 rounds of 55 grain TAP on tap for the 5.56 gun.

I found some 220 grain subsonic stuff but elected not to shell out $25 a box for it just yet. I dont have a suppressor so not a lot of point for subsonic stuff for me right now.

Either buy the ammo and keep all the brass or find someone with a buch of 223/556 brass and make you own.
Reloading is the way to go with 300bk
Now if you find someone who makes the 300 cases,check them with a gauge.My friend reloads but bought some ammo from a supposed pro reloader and had to resize the cases to fit.
And yes, you should have gone 308 or 7.62X39.
7.62X39 has the same ballistics as the 300.The 300 only shines at subsonic

Little update - My local Bi Mart has a small selection - I picked up a cpl boxes of UMC 220 grain hollowpoints for $18/box to try. $0.90/round wasn't cheap but its what they had - and its the first subsonic i could find that was affordable.

If I like this caliber it may spur getting a single stage reloading press or something - just like it may spur me into getting a suppressor and sbr'ing a rifle. Its all about the $$$ available for the toys tho.

the first go around I did pay the $1/round price to try all the different variations of this caliber to find out what my rifle likes. Once I got it figured out...reload reload reload.
but if you're not already a reloader, the initial invest gets a little pricey. But if you are...the cost is minimal. Just a new set of dies and a new cutter tool.

I've yet to find a reason to take this caliber serious enough to tool up for it.
Now if I was a door kicker and needed a suppressed SBR, well then ok. It sounds like a fun cartridge though, but all the downsides I've read about have given me cold feet.

Anyone willing to take on the upside of it and convince a fence sitter?

It would make a great home defense,suppressed weapon.
A lot of guys wanting a supressor and needing a reason to get the wife on board are going the "do you understand how loud it would be if you shot someone in the house?" route
And rightly so.Set any gun off in the house and your hearing may take a beating for good.For the now,for sure
As for the upside to 3000?
Ah,well, um, you get to play more in the reload room making the brass from 223...!!..?
That's all I got

Heres the best deals going if you ask me.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-products/factory-over-runs.html

The black tip 110 grain at $12.95 a box ( 10% more off if you are a vet ) is a great price . Runs 2100 FPS out of my SBR's and around 2200 out of the ruger bolt gun.

The 220 grain match grade subsonic at $17 a box ( 10% off for vets too ) is great ammo and is stupid quiet through the cans.

I roll my own too and have around 4000 rounds on the shelf but I still buy the Nossler stuff when I have a few bucks I'm not using since I can reuse the brass and its GOOD brass.

The brass is easy to make and form from cheap .223 brass. It takes standard .30 cal bullets which are easy to find and the cartridge can use about any powder you can find. Ive got a buttload of different powders and have tried just about every combination with nary a bad result.

As far as downsides to the cartridge I have found a definite sort of lock jaw syndrome I get from smiling too much while I shoot it. . Is it a bench rest shooters dream? No. Its reasonably accurate out to as far as you can see comfortably. If you ask me people put WAY too much emphasis on absolute accuracy. Its a good shooting reasonably accurate round that you can shoot a lot of for not a lot of money if you reload. It is the best round bar none for shooting with a silencer. Better even than .22LR.

Last Edited:
Got to be careful with that pulled 147 grain. Most Ive used has been good vacuum pulled but occasionally Ive had some that was collet pulled that oblonged the rounds and made the overall neck thickness too tight once loaded. I ended up having to pull a few hundred bullets which is no fun.

When I first started running 300 BLK I cut and formed my own brass. That gave me plenty to do mind you but after a thousand cases or so I'm like F this. I get my brass fully formed and cut on a Dillon from a guy down in TX now for $100 per K delivered. Its perfect and ready to load out of the box. If you want to know where drop me a PM.

Cut first on a harbor freight chop saw with 300 blk jig, lube and run through the sizing die then cut to size with a Little Crow WFT cutter. By far the fastest way to go.

The little crow like nice, but I have access to a hardige large with a collet and collet stop, I won't have to turn the machine off once I start, should be able to trim to length in one shot without a resize again.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top