JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went up shooting at Jones Creek today and couldn't help but see piles of trash and spent shells. I'm planning on coming up later this week or next week to clean the area up, but I do not know what to do with the spent casings and shells afterwards. Where do yall get rid of spent brass and shells?

Brass cases can usually be resold easily, shotgun hulls probably can be, too. Separate by caliber and list in the classifieds. Or, all of the brass can be taken to a local recycler, like RS Davis and sell it by the pound.

Scrap yards will give you decent money for brass. I reload and throw all my unusable cases in a bucket. Once its full I take it to Binford in Kent. You get $1-2 a lb. for brass. Not sure what the shotgun shells go for likely much less. Selling the brass to reloaders will be better money wise but likely a bit more work.

Most all currently manufactured shot shell cases heads are silver or brass colored steel. Currently, Winchester AA compression, Federal Gold metal or Remington STS have brass heads.

Shotgun shells that are reloadable can bring up to .05 each. Winchester AA, Federal Gold Medal & Top Gun, Remington STS, Nitro Gold and Gun Club are the most desirable, in any gauge. Even the economy grade name brands and off shore brands can be reloaded once or twice. But most of them are throw-aways. Any shotgun range will have dumpsters full of them. If they've been out in the weather.... their garbage.

Went up there today, took about twenty minutes to fill a bucket. Our garbage service switched to the articulating truck last summer so I ponied up for a double size (64 gallon) can for an extra couple of bucks it is fun trying to fill it full each week.

Shooting was good, saw nobody, high clouds and not cold at all in just a T and hoodie.

pit1.JPG

Last Edited:
Went up there today, took about twenty minutes to fill a bucket. Our garbage service switched to the articulating truck last summer so I ponied up for a double size (64 gallon) can for an extra couple of bucks it is fun trying to fill it full each week.

Shooting was good, saw nobody, high clouds and not cold at all in just a T and hoodie.

View attachment 1818543 View attachment 1818544
Thanks Jay Walk! I've been frequenting the lower L1500 (412th) lately. I've cleaned up several spots down there. Planning on going tomorrow or this weekend.

Thanks for helping on that spot. It's always a mess because it's the first place to shoot when you enter the Burn from the Jones Creek Trailhead parking area. A couple other spots there need some cleanup too!

Give a shout when you're going up again. I'm often available Thur's - Sun's, but soon won't be so available due to spring & summer cleanup events.

The big Pick Up The Burn event is coming up for April 27th. Hope you can be there. TNL will be leading a group to target shooting spots.

Thanks again!

Bill

View attachment 1818543 View attachment 1818544
Awesome . Way to go . :)

More notes;

• You will get far less for unsorted brass than sorted. Unsorted brass typically goes for close to scrap value.
  • Sort by quality as well as cartridge, if people see damage cases in the lot they will be less likely to give much above scrap value even if sorted.
  • Deprimed and first cleaned brass goes for more than even well sorted dirty brass. It is easy enough to sort and deprime at the same time, so that is what I do.
  • Make sure you know the difference between brass (and nickle plated brass) and steel/aluminum/other cases. Brass is more valuable than scrap, the others not so much. Also rimfire brass is next to useless unless you get into crazy stuff like making your own bullets or rimfire reloading, you can sort that into the scrap brass bucket too.
  • You can reload almost any shotshell, but this actually works against you because it is hard to give away used hulls to reloaders. They need to be very well sorted, cleaned and basically ready to use to have any real value. I have buckets of unsorted hulls that I have not had to dip into for years. Granted I don't do much shotshell reloading, mostly just playing around with funny rounds, but I know guys who do a lot and have the same problem. If you do want to do all the work to sort, clean and prep hulls they can be worth a little bit.

If you just want a place to dump it without having to sort it or pay to throw it out I have a porch you can leave it on. I don't even care how clean it is ;-)

Most all currently manufactured shot shell cases heads are silver or brass colored steel. Currently, Winchester AA compression, Federal Gold metal or Remington STS have brass heads.
This is something I did not know previously.
Now I will take my scrap cleanup magnet with me to the range next time we go out.
It will make picking those up way faster.

I've always wondered why the easiest things to pick up are what makes the biggest eyesore and mess. I'm talking about shotgun shells. I think there should be a deposit fee for shotgun shells like on bottles. (Sarcasm) Or maybe the people who leave hundreds of shotgun shells laying on the ground should put on their big boy pants and pick up their eyesore.

Cog's
I plan to contribute to the big cleanup this year in addition to cycling through the arsenal and filling a five-gallon bucket with each trip.

Make it not hot this year. :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top