JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
People give homeless "stuff" (goods, money) to make themselves feel like they've made a difference. I'm not willing to give myself a temporary "feel good" moment knowing that all I'd be doing is extending the continuation of their condition. I'm not that cruel.

People give homeless "stuff" (goods, money) to make themselves feel like they've made a difference. I'm not willing to give myself a temporary "feel good" moment knowing that all I'd be doing is extending the continuation of their condition. I'm not that cruel.
I don't know, it felt good knowing I might have prevented a child from freezing to death in the winter rain. I don't give money, and if they don't take helpful goods then chances are they just want cash to fund an addiction or they're not actually homeless.

Another way to look at it is that instead of getting them directions to a shelter, you gave them another excuse to remain outdoors.

Maybe you found one of the rare families that can use this as a springboard, and I hope so for their sake. But that's not odds-on-reality for most.

I always wonder what % of people refuse to work or continually leech off of others and deserve to be homeless but somehow keep avoiding it... have 4 kids from 4 dads and collect $2000 a month on welfare :(

Wanting what you want is ok. But expecting every other person to pay for it is a huge problem in America especially. The whole universal income idea is scary. It just gives lazy people free money by taking it away from the people who wake up at 5am and work 6 days a week.

Personal desires of random strangers are not my responsibility to pay extra taxes to support them.... some dude that just wants meth and eating rotten food from a dumpster.. gets detox every few years and treatment then goes back to meth..
Or the 20yr old girl that keep having kids every couple years and refuses to get a job but is a pro at collecting welfare.

Legitimate help is great and necessary when reasons are real but there has to be a limit to what an able bodied person can collect. Dudes eating pizza every day and collecting unemployment for 3yrs.. You have to carry the financial responsibility of your own life and own choices...

It's too easy for millions of dollars to keep disappearing or being spent in ways that don't impact the source of the problem.
The money disappears and the problem is not fixed or even efficiently combated.

The stats in 2022 are 500,000+ homeless daily in the USA. 65% in shelters 35% on the street. Something like 1 out of 700 people overall.

66% due to drug and alcohol.
33% due to Mental Illness.
Over 90% of homeless women are rape victims while homeless.

Its a nightmare public health and safety issue.. people CHOOSE to try drugs. Then choose to keep using. Yes its a choice but also an addiction so there has to be support for a path back to humanity. If you want to fix it, you have to temporarily remove emotions from the process. Yes people may be abused or suffer and end up self medicated on drugs. But that doesn't mean they get to go do whatever they want. Stealing, drugs, self harm. Etc etc. If a house is on fire you take decisive actions to put out the fire FIRST then later on investigate the why and decide how to prevent.

Homelessness might be one of the very few instances where we need direct govt intervention. You can be nice and kind to infinity but it only grants a problem room to grow.
The danger is that a brain damaged meth addict on day 4 of withdrawal shakes will slit the throats of 1000 babies to get a single fix.
Likewise.. Schizophrenic hearing voices telling her to burn down an apartment to kill the lizard people will also kill everyone and not care. I know it's dramatic examples but it's happening to real people and can be stopped overnight if anyone in power wanted it to stop.

But if you stop a problem then part of your funding might stop....

Its a fiesta of robbery, assaults and rapes of normal citizens with jobs and families.

Being homeless doesn't make you into a down trodden persecuted group. Anyone who is homeless and doesn't want to be homeless, has access to multiple resources but often that requires that you are capable of being self-sufficient and functional as adults. Those people that can function and want to NOT be homeless will be OK and make it out if they accept help and work to take their life back.

That leaves a large number of people that are unable to function as self sufficient adults. I really suspect that they need to be scooped up. Cleaned up. Medical care, Detoxed, Mental Health Evaluations, sorted out, housed safely. Anyone on the upper scale of dangerous, cannot be loose on the street because that's just letting a dangerous things wander loose trying to feed its hunger for drugs. That story doesn't end well for anyone. I don't know how the danger should be evaluated but it has to happen for public safety. Example.. someone with diseases taking bubblegums on the grass at a playground putting kids at risk etc. A repeat rapist that sleeps all day then breaks into cars all day to buy meth.. etc etc.

I'm not saying that homeless people aren't people. Or aren't suffering. I'm saying that by setting all emotions aside for a moment....we have a 700 to 1 ratio. That 1 is the abnormality and that has to be corrected, for public and individual safety.

So many states like California where they spend $100k+ per homeless person every year but that money vanishes Into a black hole of paying multiple people a salary to "fix" the problem but if your job is based on the problem of homelessness... are you going fix it and be out of a job or just toss pennies out of every dollar from your budget at it and maintain your six figure income.

So many sad questions :(
How often I have wrote similar to our legislators and it was deleted without being read. They care more about how many rounds go into a magazine. Its unfortunate.

I always wonder what % of people refuse to work or continually leech off of others and deserve to be homeless but somehow keep avoiding it... have 4 kids from 4 dads and collect $2000 a month on welfare :(

Wanting what you want is ok. But expecting every other person to pay for it is a huge problem in America especially. The whole universal income idea is scary. It just gives lazy people free money by taking it away from the people who wake up at 5am and work 6 days a week.

Personal desires of random strangers are not my responsibility to pay extra taxes to support them.... some dude that just wants meth and eating rotten food from a dumpster.. gets detox every few years and treatment then goes back to meth..
Or the 20yr old girl that keep having kids every couple years and refuses to get a job but is a pro at collecting welfare.

Legitimate help is great and necessary when reasons are real but there has to be a limit to what an able bodied person can collect. Dudes eating pizza every day and collecting unemployment for 3yrs.. You have to carry the financial responsibility of your own life and own choices...
This has been pushed to get people to give up rights. Just let Gov take care of you from cradle to grave. Cost? Just loss of freedom. A scary number are all in on this. The problem is history. It is littered with examples of how this ends. There is a reason it ends up enforced at gun point. So just don't teach history any more.:mad:
Our Governor here had a great time screwing land owners. Telling people who rented they no longer had to pay rent for a couple years. I warned people what was going to happen. Now many are seeing it. Young guy I work with is wanting to move out on his own. He is finding anyplace "nice" in a house is out of reach. He wants to move in with 2 buddies. Leasing agencies are telling him every person on the lease has to show a gross income of 3 times the rent. He was shocked. I said this is the result of the Gov "helping". Soon those who had so much fun living rent free are going to find NO ONE will rent to them and they will scream for the Gov to help them.

This has been pushed to get people to give up rights. Just let Gov take care of you from cradle to grave. Cost? Just loss of freedom. A scary number are all in on this. The problem is history. It is littered with examples of how this ends. There is a reason it ends up enforced at gun point. So just don't teach history any more.:mad:
Our Governor here had a great time screwing land owners. Telling people who rented they no longer had to pay rent for a couple years. I warned people what was going to happen. Now many are seeing it. Young guy I work with is wanting to move out on his own. He is finding anyplace "nice" in a house is out of reach. He wants to move in with 2 buddies. Leasing agencies are telling him every person on the lease has to show a gross income of 3 times the rent. He was shocked. I said this is the result of the Gov "helping". Soon those who had so much fun living rent free are going to find NO ONE will rent to them and they will scream for the Gov to help them.
And don't forget rules that require a land lord to accept the first renter that meet the property owners requirements. Taking FREE CHOICE away from the property owner. And something else that the busy-bodies in Salem are trying to do is outlaw "Love-Letters" for people selling their homes. Apparently the dims are getting some push back over that one!

This is where i stood on these issues for a long time.

The last 5 years in Potlandistan has destroyed that. Now folks dont get crap from me except a verbal reprimand that is filled with foul epithets when i am approached in public by tweekers, bums, crackheads, ferals, and anyone in general looking for a handout.

Last Edited:
This is where i stood on these issues for a long time.

The last 5 years in Potlandistan has destroyed that. Now folks dont get crap from me except a verbal reprimand that is filled with foul epithets when i am approached by in public by tweekers, bums, crackheads, ferals, and anyone in general looking for a handout.
YEARS ago before it got near this bad. Daughter and her hubby came over. SIL and I run up to stopNrob for some beer. Walking out get asked for money by some guy. I said oh you need some money? He gets excited. I point down the road a few blocks, say see that Taco Bell sign? Its now a day labor place. Show up there in the morning they will send you to work and pay you at the end of the day. He balks of course. So I say Oh, you want me to GIVE you money I had to go to work to earn? My SIN was still laughing when we got home over that one.

YEARS ago before it got near this bad. Daughter and her hubby came over. SIL and I run up to stopNrob for some beer. Walking out get asked for money by some guy. I said oh you need some money? He gets excited. I point down the road a few blocks, say see that Taco Bell sign? Its now a day labor place. Show up there in the morning they will send you to work and pay you at the end of the day. He balks of course. So I say Oh, you want me to GIVE you money I had to go to work to earn? My SIN was still laughing when we got home over that one.

I used to give out my left over lunch items on occasion for the folks at intersections.
Then a chit head ruined it. Said he didnt want food, he needed money. I asked why(it was clear that he was a junkie). He gave me some BS about needing a hotel room(probably true, so he could nod out in safety). I told him he was a junkie and the last thing he needed was money and his next fix. He threatened to slash my tires while i was at the light. I asked him if he ever had lead poisoning. The "no" response helped me educate him about his short lived future if he drew a knife after he threatened me. Never saw the guy at that particular intersection again.
Now and then i see him at the Johnson Creek exit off 205. Barely a shell of his former douchiness.

There's a gal that we see around here that's either at the entrance of a grocery store, or by a traffic light. She's a really pretty, Latino likely, and dressed well. She has a young baby in a stroller. All covered up because it's COLD as hell. I believe it's really a human baby. Year and a half old max, I'd say. Mama can't be 30 YO. WTH?

There's a gal that we see around here that's either at the entrance of a grocery store, or by a traffic light. She's a really pretty, Latino likely, and dressed well. She has a young baby in a stroller. All covered up because it's COLD as hell. I believe it's really a human baby. Year and a half old max, I'd say. Mama can't be 30 YO. WTH?
There are several similar people that I see in specific street corners here in Vancouver. The SAME person every day with the same sign. "LOST my Job Need help with rent and food"

I keep wondering how they will find a job... if they spend every day begging for money and food.

I had an eye opener when I lived in Beaverton and was taking the bus to work daily.. "homeless?" Guy gets on the bus and meets up with a few of his associates.. he's carrying a Starbucks drink holder. Hands them each a coffee and they are comparing their haul from begging. I remember it being 200 400 700. They were showing wads of cash back and forth laughing..

I used to give out my left over lunch items on occasion for the folks at intersections.
Then a chit head ruined it. Said he didnt want food, he needed money.
That's a great one lol.

My wife ran through a McDonald's drive through on her way to work for a coffee and mcmuffin. She also had a small bag of apples and string cheese to leave at work for snacks.

As she was leaving she saw a young woman in the parking lot with a sign asking for food.
She swings back and tries to give the woman the apples and cheese. Woman wrinkles her face and throws the apples and cheese on the ground and tells my wife to give her the bag from McDonald's or some money.

My wife rolls up her window and drove away.

It's a stereotype of demanding beggers but. If something keeps happening it stops being a stereotype and becomes fact.

I had a great big flaming rant all types out, and after editing it several times, I realized it's completely pointless, nothing will change as long as the Blues are in charge, NOTHING! And the Sheeple keep voting for more Blue!

I say wall it all off and light it up, hose the ashes into the river and start all over after the ruins are all trucked off! Toss the bodies in the burn pits and dance in the ashes, this orgy of distruction will only ever lead to one ending, might as well get that party started now!

It's so weird... Someone begging, while refusing to get a job and work hard.. but still so misguided that they will ONLY accept cash because they want what they want.

Among the list of wants is wanting someone else to do the work and pay for it so they don't have to be weighed down by a job or self suffiency.

It's so weird... Someone begging, while refusing to get a job and work hard.. but still so misguided that they will ONLY accept cash because they want what they want.

Among the list of wants is wanting someone else to do the work and pay for it so they don't have to be weighed down by a job or self suffiency.
You copied most of that from the dictionary after "Democrat". Fess up!

I wonder how much trouble one would get, the next time someone asks for money, if they say, "I'll give you more than a buck. I'll give you twenty, BUT in return you have to shove a piece of glass into your right eye. Right here. Right now."

I wonder how much trouble one would get, the next time someone asks for money, if they say, "I'll give you more than a buck. I'll give you twenty, BUT in return you have to shove a piece of glass into your right eye. Right here. Right now."
Bad idea. They'd be rushed to the hospital to have all their needs met.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top