JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Whats a main firearm? Are you talking home defense weapon? Cause I would have a hard time chosing anything to be called my main weapon. The last weapon I chose in the house was a girls softball bat. Before that it was a paintball pistol (defending it against the herd of raccoons dancing on the roof). I have various weapons around the house.

Pistol is on my body if i'm upright and awake, nightstand if i'm asleep! There is a Shotgun next to the bedroom door so ether the wife or I can grab and go, and there is an AR next to my side of the bed while asleep, and by my chair during the day! If we're in Colorado, there is a .338 Win Mag next to the back door, a .45/70 Marlin XLR in the living room near the kitchen, and a 12 gau next to the front door! We have Big arsed Grizzlies there, and wolves at times, so gotta be ready in case of trouble!

Regarding CCW/primary pistol:

In/on my belt if awake.

Next to me in garage if working out though.

In battleBelt on nightstand when sleeping, next to AR in wall cabinet.

Pants on gun on wether at home or away from home.

When going to bed, carry gun in my clothes dresser(wouldn't be the first thing I'd grab if SHTF), "duty" gun (pistol) on belt w/ spare rifle and pistol mags, ready to go next to carrier / kit, Mk18 SBR right next to bed in condition 1.

Many other items around the house. Never know where you'll be when f**kery will strike.

And for those worried about how I have my items around me when sleeping, don't you worry. My own fart will wake me up at night. I wake up many times through the night. Last night, a beer can that I left on my grill blew off in the wind and it woke me up.

Short answer :
Depends...on who is over , what is going on etc...

Long answer below.

My main firearm is a bit different than what most folks would think of....:D
Its usually out in my library , with some friends....near the section with the old west history books.

In all seriousness...How one stores their firearms , in their home , should be up to them.
What works "best" for storage in one home , for one type of situation , may not work in another.

Speaking only for myself :
Its not so much a matter of : Is the firearm safe...?
But more of a matter of : Are the people who are around the firearm , safe with firearms...?

One could have their firearms locked up in a safe , unloaded , safeties on , etc...
And if whoever is handing the firearm is unsafe with it , then those things won't help as much as some folks would like.

Safe firearm handling is the answer.
'Course what that means will vary from time to time and place to place.

With all that said....
"Safe" storage...be it in an actual safe , or safely storing your firearms , needs to be taken seriously.
As well as being tailored to ft each household.

In my experience , using a variety of safeguards like :
Teaching firearm safety...
Safe firearm handling...
Teaching the understanding of just what bullets and shot do....
Teaching respect for life....
Understanding that there will consequences for your actions...

As well as being paired with :
Using a safe...
Storing my firearms unloaded...
Putting the firearms that are out...back in the safe / or a hidden location when company is over...
Has worked for me.
Andy

Besides the 1911 I have with me, I keep a fully loaded AR-15 with a trigger lock hanging in my son's closet and a loaded shotgun in a safe in my wife's sewing room.
Sometimes when we get into heated conversations, she walks into her sewing room and I pray a little.

Like others, I guess "main" varies depending on what I am doing.

I keep a subcompact in my pants pocket most of the time, or at least in my "going to town" pants. Around the house it just depends.

Full size lives on the headboard.

I keep a compact in my computer bag with a spare mag.

In my lightweight battle belt I have a full size. Typically lives in my shop, where my gun room is.

Whichever vehicle I am in has my belt and a rifle.

Last Edited:
12 gauge in the bedroom closet; Shield 9mm in the nightstand with three 12-round mags; Smith 4006 on the main floor; Glock 30 in my office desk; Smith 642 on me at all times. Everything else is in the gun safe. Oh, except my trusty 40 year old Daisy Red Ryder kept handy for trash pandas. 4486A037-2847-44A0-85A9-2220E6D813FD.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top