JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I read a recent report published by the federal Bureau of Prisons that they found after interviewing inmates who were incarcerated for weapons charges that 93% had obtained guns through theft. A majority of them were in cars and trucks.

BTW part of what I was remembering since I am trying to find it here on NWFA was from a news article that linked around to a couple of them.

This vaguely is something that looks familiar of what I am recalling. This is also showing a 2018 gun crime related though, again what I am trying to recall, would have been around 2016-2017 era since I believe it was being related to gun purchases post election scare.

Theres so many stats and links and sources and numbers any given month and depending on how the study is being phrased. Good link in the OP for another to archive.

NWFA members have posted the results of many studies over the years. I'm certainly not going to challenge any member's assertions. However, we all know that these studies can be cooked up to say whatever anybody wants to say.

From your PDF:

Studies in
the 1990's put the percentage of recovered firearms
as having been stolen at anywhere from 6-32%, and
surveys of incarcerated persons suggested that 9-
32% of them had acquired their most recent
handgun via theft.

IMO, that's way too large a variance to be considered valid, even if we discount for old stats. Very unreliable and unscientific. A recent post by a different NWFA member cites that prisoners claim 93% of their weapons were acquired by theft.

Guys, that swings the margins from 6% to 93%!!! Now I'm not a mathematician, but something is wrong with these claims!!! Enough to conclude that any conclusion is worthless... Is that the way it is?

I read a recent report published by the federal Bureau of Prisons that they found after interviewing inmates who were incarcerated for weapons charges that 93% had obtained guns through theft. A majority of them were in cars and trucks.

Thats one of the articles I was trying to recall/reference. Thank you so much for bringing that up.

NWFA members have posted the results of many studies over the years. I'm certainly not going to challenge any member's assertions. However, we all know that these studies can be cooked up to say whatever anybody wants to say.

From your PDF:

Studies in
the 1990's put the percentage of recovered firearms
as having been stolen at anywhere from 6-32%, and
surveys of incarcerated persons suggested that 9-
32% of them had acquired their most recent
handgun via theft.

IMO, that's way too large a variance to be considered valid, even if we discount for old stats. Very unreliable and unscientific. A recent post by a different NWFA member cites that prisoners claim 93% of their weapons were acquired by theft.

Guys, that swings the margins from 6% to 93%!!! Now I'm not a mathematician, but something is wrong with these claims!!! Enough to conclude that any conclusion is worthless... Is that the way it is?

pretty much yes, you claimed it in your post. All of these are so varied and so frequent from different sources its hard to put a number on it....literally....

what is factual is that crime accounts for all of this and that criminals have no care or worry for laws as shown by repeat offenders/careers.

The biggest life lesson i've learned from all of these numbers is that people make bad decisions and you often have to pay for it one way or another.

pretty much yes, you claimed it in your post. All of these are so varied and so frequent from different sources its hard to put a number on it....literally....

what is factual is that crime accounts for all of this and that criminals have no care or worry for laws as shown by repeat offenders/careers.

The biggest life lesson i've learned from all of these numbers is that people make bad decisions and you often have to pay for it one way or another.

Beware claims that state high numbers of guns used in crimes are obtained by theft! IMO any researcher claiming that is fudging the numbers to fit an agenda. Falls right into the "lock guns up" movement!!!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top