JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This article lists a lot of opinions, and hardly any fact. Where do criminals really get their guns?

A 2019 survey conducted by the Department of Justice (DOJ) found that some 43 percent of criminals had bought their firearms on the black market, 6 percent acquired them via theft, and 10 percent made a retail purchase – 0.8 percent purchased a weapon from a gun show.

In 11 percent of cases, the criminal had someone else buy a gun for them – known as a straw purchase – while an additional 15 percent got guns from a friend or relative. Some 12 percent of weapons found on a crime scene had been brought there by someone else.

Keep in mind also that a criminal is only prevented from buying a firearm from a FFL AFTER they have been found guilty of a crime that reaches the level of loss of rights.

Over the years I have known people who have commited all sorts of crimes and never even interacted with police except for traffic stuff. SO even BGC do not work all the time.

And.........................The Straw Purchase is only caught if/when the buyer is incompetent, or after a crime is committed!
Had a lady trying to purchase a firearm for her husband who was a felon, which had I not known his status and suspected it was a straw purchase, it would have gone through! So, there's a lot of the "honor system" involved, even when doing a BGC!

This article lists a lot of opinions, and hardly any fact. Where do criminals really get their guns?

A 2019 survey conducted by the Department of Justice (DOJ) found that some 43 percent of criminals had bought their firearms on the black market, 6 percent acquired them via theft, and 10 percent made a retail purchase – 0.8 percent purchased a weapon from a gun show.

In 11 percent of cases, the criminal had someone else buy a gun for them – known as a straw purchase – while an additional 15 percent got guns from a friend or relative. Some 12 percent of weapons found on a crime scene had been brought there by someone else.

Facts, they don't care about no stinking facts...:eek:

iirc i remember reading a FBI (I want to say?) report here a year or two back that said most are acquired under illegal means or were purchased with intent to conduct the crime.

Only a very small margin actually purchased over the counter and then later used them for harm. Most are from theft or under the table meetings.

iirc i remember reading a FBI (I want to say?) report here a year or two back that said most are acquired under illegal means or were purchased with intent to conduct the crime.

Only a very small margin (<2%) actually purchased over the counter and then later used them for harm. Most are from theft or under the table meetings.

Dontray.JPG

Only a very small margin actually purchased over the counter and then later used them for harm. Most are from theft or under the table meetings.

Well, you say that most are from theft, but the study referenced above says that only 6% are from thefts. That is another reason why I STRENUOUSLY object to the proposed gun lockup laws coming in 2020 to Oregon. My guns are locked up in my house. Yet under the proposed new law, if a criminal breaks in and steals one of my firearms, I will be held responsible for whatever subsequent crimes that criminal commits. That's like saying a rape victim is responsible for the future rapes of a rapist because the victim did not stop the rapist!!! :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Regarding BGCs.... why is it that only pro-2A people know they don't really work to prevent crime???

In the 10% cited in the study as purchasing firearms over the counter, the article says that ALL those that went on to commit gun violence purchased their weapons legally and passed the background check.

In fact IMO most of the mass public murders were committed with legally obtained firearms.

You also missed the key note about it being a couple years ago so stats can change. I'm not for retarded lock up nor any state law that rapes our rights to carry/own either.

You also missed the key note about it being a couple years ago so stats can change. I'm not for retarded lock up nor any state law that rapes our rights to carry/own either.

2019 was a couple of years ago???

Stats may change, but there is a big diff between 6% and "most". At least in my understanding. That said, I take all studies with a large dose of sodium, therefore, I might grant you 8% or 4% instead of 6%. ;)

I am terribly sorry I cannot reference the thread I am thinking of. I am not trying to deny the op link Jesus dude all I said is I recall. My reference to a couple years ago was not to the OP link, context here.

About every year here there's a thread on gun stats that vary everytime it's posted again I am sorry for meeting your criteria off of something that's been discussed to death on a gun site.

Last Edited:
I am terribly sorry I cannot reference the thread I am thinking of. I am not trying to deny the op link Jesus dude all I said is I recall.

Don't be upset... you said I missed some key note. That is what I am taking issue with.

It's not a biggie for me, certainly not enough to blaspheme, but I'm puzzled as to what you are referencing. My particular reference is to the article I mentioned and quoted. You don't even need to read the article, because I put the reference to the 2019 DOJ study in italics in my OP. While I don't doubt there are other studies with different stats, my comments were ONLY in reference to the study above.

BTW part of what I was remembering since I am trying to find it here on NWFA was from a news article that linked around to a couple of them.

This vaguely is something that looks familiar of what I am recalling. This is also showing a 2018 gun crime related though, again what I am trying to recall, would have been around 2016-2017 era since I believe it was being related to gun purchases post election scare.

Theres so many stats and links and sources and numbers any given month and depending on how the study is being phrased. Good link in the OP for another to archive.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top