JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently moved to Portland from Las Vegas where there were plenty of outdoor ranges and areas where I can shoot and move about safely. Where are some places to shoot near Portland where I can setup my own targets and do some run and gun?

I'm a okay shooter ( Marine corps pistol and rifle expert badge while I was in, C class in limited and Carry optics) I mainly shoot USPSA (Been at it for about 5 months) and may do some steel challenge in the future. I'd like to get some reps in before I start competing again. If they're any other shooters in the Portland area that don't mind a training partner, I'm your guy! Thanks again !

Last Edited:
At home in my living room. The majority of your practice can be done at home. For live fire I generally shoot at Safe Fire in Camas, plan to get a TC membership some day.

+ on Tri-County for an outdoor range. + on Safefire for indoors.

FYI - you can shoot competitions @ Tri-County without being a member. Good way to get some practice and check out the range, make new friends, etc.

Back yard works okay. IMG_20191012_111540514_HDR.jpg

Tri County is fine if you're shooting pistol and PCC. If you want to run and gun with a rifle, they don't have anything for you. They no longer have an action rifle range. I don't know what Douglas Ridge has to offer but I don't know many ranges around the greater metro area that you can shoot anything other than rimfire or pistol caliber without being static at a bench.

Tri-County does not allow shooters performing semi auto reloads to let the muzzle break the horizontal plain. That is challenging when shooting matches.

Tri-County does not allow shooters performing semi auto reloads to let the muzzle break the horizontal plain. That is challenging when shooting matches.

Main reason I decided to leave them. Being threatened by an RSO in my face didn't exactly make me feel welcome.

Funny, I'm an RSO at another local range, and I've YET to speak to anyone like he spoke to me.

Tri County is fine if you're shooting pistol and PCC. If you want to run and gun with a rifle, they don't have anything for you. They no longer have an action rifle range. I don't know what Douglas Ridge has to offer but I don't know many ranges around the greater metro area that you can shoot anything other than rimfire or pistol caliber without being static at a bench.
The practical rifle range is in "transition " and is supposed to be moved to the lower range complex sometime this fall.

Thats because theyve had rounds leave the range...last thing we need is for the range to get shut down because of some dummy ( not calling you that )

Been shooting Practical Rifle for 20 years there...yes, the whole "muzzle not over the berm" thing takes some practice, but its not a hindrance.

I'll give Tri County another +1. Amazing facility, lots of different ranges. Speed steel every first Sunday of the month. I believe USPSA is every second Sunday of the month.

I'll give Tri County another +1. Amazing facility, lots of different ranges. Speed steel every first Sunday of the month. I believe USPSA is every second Sunday of the month.

TC does have an amazing facility for sure. I've been there as a guest since I left and have had nothing but good experiences. I apologize for my previous post having such a negative tone.

I would recommend them. :)

This is the first I'm hearing they don't have that. That was the reason i was trying to get in there.

I go out into the woods to run my rifle drills or just shoot steel. If you want to shoot USPSA in PDX, Douglas Ridge is your place. The folks at Tri County Speed Steel were very welcoming to me. It's a great range, and don't let the muzzle over the berm thing dissuade you. It's not ideal but there are workarounds

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top