JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Having a gun pointed at you causes an adrenalin dump and it makes it extremely hard to aim correctly. That is why in most shootings you see that multiple shots were fired and in many cases no one was even hit. I would suggest not judging anyone until the same thing has happened to you.

It's not necessarily the training, it's how seriously they took it and how much the tests they take to prove competency actually test for real world competency.

Go out to watch police training and you will see a bunch of them really feel like they have some where better to be. With that attitude whatever proficiency they did develop during the intensive training they revived in the hiring process decays. The test most departments take are only stringent enough to catch the ones that are really falling down on the job. That's how you get a bunch of people who are only marginally qualified to carry a gun as part of their job.

That's my take on it after having to watch a bunch of LEO training and talking with a lot of training officers. There are also crappy training officers and programs but a motivated officer will rise above it if they want to get good at anything and there are plenty of other programs to go to if you want.

Before every one jumps on me there are officers who take their shooting skills really seriously but they are in the minority. There are also crappy training officers and programs

Having a gun pointed at you causes an adrenalin dump and it makes it extremely hard to aim correctly. That is why in most shootings you see that multiple shots were fired and in many cases no one was even hit. I would suggest not judging anyone until the same thing has happened to you.
I'm aware of adrenalin. The training I'm referring to is 33 rnds. fired at someone they claimed pointed the shotgun at them. The article doesn't say the victim fired at them. 33 rnds. fired and only one hit ?
Did the situation warrant a spray and pray scenario ?
Where did all those fired rounds end up. What was their back drop ? If four LEOs fired an average of 8 rnds. each at some one that was sanding there and missed 32 times, they were a hazard to others nearby.

Yes, in another time and place, I knew what adrenalin felt like on several occasions, and I like to think I kept some cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has that ever been successfully used as a defense by anyone other than Law Enforcement? We aren't judging as much as we are pointing out the disparity between the treatment LEOs get that you or I would never be granted.

BTW I have shot with adrenaline coursing through my veins, in competition. I have also had to render aid after hitting an old lady (MUCH adrenaline)-I functioned fine until the incident was over then I fell apart. There also have been studies where Olympic level shooters were injected with adrenaline to see how it affected their performance. IIRC there was some effect but the better the shooter the less the effect was.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top