JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know where you can set up some steel targets and shoot out to at least 1000 yards? I live in Damascus. I am a member at Douglas Ridge but they don't allow steel on the longe range, only paper and you have to have someone else in the pit to handle targets which stupid because if you want to hang out and shoot together one of you is always back in the pit. I tried to talk to the powers that be at Douglas ridge about the long range and could steel be set up and it just seemed like they weren't interested. Everyone I know wants long range and with steel. I haven't talked to a single person that likes the current set up.

I hate to say the obvious, you're probably going to have to explore public land. In my area I can find 500 yard spots pretty easily but the longest I could range was about 900 and that was between two landings. You may have better luck than I do. Benefit of public land is you can use tracers if it's not fire season

It's pretty hard to see your POI at 1000 yards if someone is not in the pits pulling and tagging your target. Steel at DRRC that high up on the hill is risking a potential ricochet to surrounding areas/homes, so I'm not sure how DRRC is not in the right on this one.

DRRC allows steel on a couple of areas. You could shoot at least 700 yards at steel in the allowed areas. I am looking for some place within an hour drive of Portland.

Would be a tough call for folks to share their known safe spots, with that distance within an hour of Portland.

If you all enjoy dry camping, may be worth your while to check out COSA. They have gongs set out to 1000. Never been, but knew folks who did & had a great time with bolt guns and gas guns. IIRC they would occasionally set up steel fun/practical at distance as well. Anti-mortar team & such...

COSA:

I've completed in matches at COSSA. It's roughly 3.5 to 4 hours from here. They have targets out to a mile! That's why want a closer place to practice.

Benefit of public land is you can use tracers if it's not fire season
Actually, TT! Tracers are illegal all year long on many public lands. Sorry to burst any bubbles!

Here's some links to official rules:

BLM: https://www.blm.gov/visit/recreational-shooting
"Do not use plastic pellets, tracer rounds, exploding rounds, or steel-core rounds."

Ochocco Nat Forest: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ochoco/recarea/?recid=82848
"Exploding targets, tannerite, and incendiary and tracer ammunition are prohibited on Forest Service lands (36 CFR 261.52(b)."
That applies to all National Forests Lands.

WA Dept Nat Resources: https://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52-145

And there's also Fish & Wildlife lands.

USFS Mt Hood, Siuslaw, Willamette, Deschutes and ODF don't specifically mention tracers, but they certainly will stop you and may write you a citation for using them, no matter what time of year (because it's in the National regulations). Their local websites only mention the restriction of exploding targets. I'm sure if they updated their web pages we'd see that tracer rounds are actually prohibited.

Always best ask an official first. Could save you some hassels in the field.

Why is tannerite "prohibited"? I thought that was a common thing pretty much...
Because it's an explosive. And it's been known to cause fires from the blast. They say there's no flames or spark, so it must be the heat of the thing that sets things on fire. I haven't dug into it enough to learn the real truth.

Still, since they wrote it in law, that's all I need. I'd love to have some private property to blow up some stuff! That'd be a kick in the bubblegum! But when it's public, I wouldn't want people seeing or hearing what I'm doing.

Any places east of Portland? Hood forest?
You'll have to go way East, Ilike. Like Central Oregon or beyond. Foliage is too thick around here for that kind of yardage. If you set up on one hill and shoot to the other, you're likely to be shooting over a roadway and/or a body of water that is prohibited by law. On top of that, If you travel out 1000 yards to set your target, and have a valley between, how can you be sure no one has entered the line of fire once you returned to the firing line? You would have to be absolutely sure no one could cross your path, and that's not easy around here.

I can see Central Oregon as being a place to do that, because you could find a spot that is flat to the hillside backstop you'd be shooting in to. You'd be able to spot anyone who came into the range, or was about to. Otherwise, around here, there's a rare opportunity to get that kind of a shot.

If anyone offers up an area to explore in Central Oregon, it might be worth a trip and a camp setup to check it out.

Good luck,

Bill

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews