JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since I moved out this way, I have been coasting on components I bought in bulk years ago. Just started loading 9mm, and I hear good things about APP. Where can I find it locally?

Yeah, Sportsman's usually has a good supply of powders. Alliant powders for pistol look to be all flake powder. I learned early that flake powders don't run through the RCBS Uniflow all that well. Might I suggest Hodgdon HS-6? Being a ball powder, measure like a dream. Fills the case more than some of the faster powders, has a wider range of weights and runs clean in the small cases. I know BiMart on NE Halsey in PDX seems to always have some on the shelf, at $22.95 I think.

I have quite a bit of experience with Power Pistol in 9mm, and it's definitely one of my favorite powders. It's a bit on the slower side, but has a nice, wide range of charge weights. It can go from Mild to Wild, and everything in between!

One word of caution, though... It's FLASHY!

We're talking white hot blowtorch jet flames that are clearly visible on an overcast day! This is really only on the higher end though, the lower charge weights aren't bad at all.

Another powder to consider would be Alliant BE-86. It's very similar to Power Pistol in performance, but I believe it includes a flash retardant. I'm looking forward to trying it out, but still have some Power Pistol to burn through first.

Hope this helps!

Alliant powders for pistol look to be all flake powder. I learned early that flake powders don't run through the RCBS Uniflow all that well.

Mikej, I am using a Lee Auto-Disk which I have had for years, and used with both Alliant Red Dot and Blue Dot in 38 Spl and 357 Mag, respectively. Those are both flake powders, and I've never had any trouble with either, so I think I will be fine with Power Pistol.

To everyone else, thanks for the recommendations, and I will try Sportsman's Warehouse and Fisherman's. Thanks guys!

When your getting "Flashy" from your handgun~~ it shows that your using too slow of a burning powder. Definitely not good in close quarter self defense.
Power Pistol is one of the few powders that lets you get safely into +P velocities, so I don't think it's a matter of it being too slow.

As I mentioned earlier, BE-86 offers almost identical performance, but without the flash. I believe that it really is just a matter of lack of flash retardant.

As for close quarter self defense, what other powder gives you maximum velocity with the added bonus of setting your target on fire? :p

Always check Bimart 1st,for powders. No body local beats their prices,and ours ,here in Florence, will order it in if they don't stock it. They get deliveries once a week, I would think that the Vancouver stores can do that, also.

Along with #7, 3N38, CFE, HS-6, WAC, SP2, 3N37... :)

OP: Curt's Discount Shooter's Supplies.
As I said, one of the few...

I've always preferred powders with the widest usable range. I much prefer having a 2-3 grain window between min & max, vs the faster powders that might only have a 0.6-0.8 grain window.

H110/W296 is always an exciting powder; pretty much max loads only!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top