JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've used Jacks Powder Keg for years, good people to deal with and never had a problem. When I shot my cannons more I used to buy it 25 lbs at a time. Hazmat kills you on small amounts. If you were in the area I'd give you some to try, synthetics never impressed me at all. When you do shoot it clean that pistol well and then clean it again, black is corrosive and will find the spots you missed.

Black shop in Springfield is supposed to carry black powder.
I have been using Pyrodox RS for years, works good. Word of caution on Triple 7, reduce loads by 10 percent and see how it goes. But still a good powder.
3 smoke poles and a 12 ga coach double. That's called the Thunder Gun. Not worth a darn for hunting, good pattern at 10 yards after that its just fun to shoot.

I have a reproduction 44 cal. Remington 1858 black powder pistol that I want to shoot.
It requires FFF black powder and I can't find any. Maybe it's been banned?
I know there are synthetic powders available, but I'd like to use the REAL thing if possible.
Are there any sources within an hour or two from the Portland area?
Thanks for your time!
P.S. If I can't find any, which black powder substitute should I use and how many grains?

I would highly recommend American Pioneer. The original formulation wasn't that great, it was these powdery big chunks that crunched easily and got foul smelling dust all over everything, the new formulation smells like maple syrup, loads like a dream, and is an absolute pleasure to work with. I load it in my 37mm rounds, and as long as you get the compression right, it's exactly the same as real black, without any of the mess.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top