JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a reproduction 44 cal. Remington 1858 black powder pistol that I want to shoot.
It requires FFF black powder and I can't find any. Maybe it's been banned?
I know there are synthetic powders available, but I'd like to use the REAL thing if possible.
Are there any sources within an hour or two from the Portland area?
Thanks for your time!
P.S. If I can't find any, which black powder substitute should I use and how many grains?

I have a reproduction 44 cal. Remington 1858 black powder pistol that I want to shoot.
It requires FFF black powder and I can't find any. Maybe it's been banned?
I know there are synthetic powders available, but I'd like to use the REAL thing if possible.
Are there any sources within an hour or two from the Portland area?
Thanks for your time!
P.S. If I can't find any, which black powder substitute should I use and how many grains?

Worse comes to worse, you can make your own :)

Last Edited:
Try not to 'cringe' in horror but Pyrodex is much better than what you might have heard. I bought a can a couple years ago to try and was pleasantly surprised. Actually I discovered it had more 'ooomph' than traditional BP and may have better accuracy. I really noticed the difference in my 1851 .36 Navy. Load Pyrodex 'P' the same as FFF. Either burn yourself out looking for 'real' BP or get what is readily available and works as well, or better than traditional. Did you have the same problem transitioning from leaded paint to latex?

When I read that I saw my future self in flames and smoke dailing 911! :eek:

Hell I used to make it when I was 12 yrs old. We made a lot of our own fireworks back then LOL.
Just don't wear synthetics when you handle BP and avoid static making things and leave it alone when the east wind blows :D

Try not to 'cringe' in horror but Pyrodex is much better than what you might have heard. I bought a can a couple years ago to try and was pleasantly surprised. Actually I discovered it had more 'ooomph' than traditional BP and may have better accuracy. I really noticed the difference in my 1851 .36 Navy. Load Pyrodex 'P' the same as FFF. Either burn yourself out looking for 'real' BP or get what is readily available and works as well, or better than traditional. Did you have the same problem transitioning from leaded paint to latex?

Yep but its a good thing to know how to make it also. Ya never know.
We used to get the Sulfur along the tracks that fell out of the train cars on the way to the paper mill and also got most of the charcoal/coal along the tracks too, but you can make your own charcoal too. Potassium Nitrate (salt peter) you can get at the chem and biological supply houses.

Good point, but since I'm shooting "Old School", I wanted to go all the way if possible.

Heck I used to make my own Hydrogen and Acetylene gasses when I was about that age or a bit older - and figured out how to store them and dispense for 'usage' - I'll stop there.......

Add a little oxygen and you can shatter the windows for 6 blocks with a plastic garbage full of that mix ROFLMAO
Don't ask.

Oh yeah and an acetone fuse............... Make it twice as long as you think you need. Don't ask about that one either. :=/\/\/

Yep buying ready made is the best, but making stuff is fun too :)
There used to be a muzzle loader place out in Hillsboro or Forest Grove that might have it too if they are still in business.

Most shops don't carry real black powder because the storage regulations are rather harsh. Grafs or "Powder Inc. " are good choices for mail order but the shipping costs will kill you. I know a few people including myself have horror stories about Pyrodex corrosion. Others swear by it. 777 is another fake black and works fine. Check Dixie Gun Works for starter loads, but for most cap and ball pistols you can use as much powder as will still let the ball sit below the cylinder face. Don't be afraid to compress it. Black powder likes that.
Have fun.

Most shops don't carry real black powder because the storage regulations are rather harsh. Grafs or "Powder Inc. " are good choices for mail order but the shipping costs will kill you. I know a few people including myself have horror stories about Pyrodex corrosion. Others swear by it. 777 is another fake black and works fine. Check Dixie Gun Works for starter loads, but for most cap and ball pistols you can use as much powder as will still let the ball sit below the cylinder face. Don't be afraid to compress it. Black powder likes that.
Have fun.

Black powder is low pressure vs smokeless and hard to get overloads with a little extra, but never shoot smokeless to see what it will do or because you couldn't find Blk powder because you will end up like this. It cost him several fingers.

10461955_1510799485862628_1942503602171680627_n-640x480.jpg

from: http://gunssavelives.net/blog/man-l...le-explodes-smokeless-powder-vs-black-powder/

Shipping is a mother, I bought quite a bit last time just because it made sense to reduce the per pound shipping price. If you where local or get up into the Seattle area I could hook you up with a pound FFF

jackspowderkeg is where I ordered my last batch. 25lbs is a lot to get at one time, but you won't run out for a while, and at $13/lb you cannot beat the price anywhere. Super sketch site, since you have to mail in your 'release and certification form' and copy of your DL with a check. He doesn't even have an order form, so I had to include a handwritten note saying what powder I wanted. Came through though. Also, as IronMonster said, if you make it to Seattle I've got a couple extra lbs I can spare.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top