JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the woods:s0112: In all seriousness, look at salmon berry's right now if your looking for bear. The south facing green slopes for insects is another that I've seen them. The weather is getting hotter though, and they'll be shifting back around to the north soon. Look for Salal berries and huckle berries to be coming on soon which are a major attractant. After that BLACKBERRY'S! There's nothing like ripe August/September Blackberries to attract bears, legally that is, and that's the only way to play the game.

Mostly you are going to see bear when you see them. If you spend as much time in the woods as I do on this dam computer you will sooner or later see bear. The more time you spend just being in the woods the better your chances will be. They might be in the road or on the ridge across from you eating berry's. In the bottom of a draw wile you are looking for a deer, or in the rocks along a river bed wile you are out fishing steel head. Usually not in the same place twice, berry's or no berry's. Now if there is a lot of meat around they will come back. Like a whole cow or steer like that. Something to eat
If you want to hunt them, cross a swamp chest deep in water, when you get to the other side look for a hole in the old growth salmon berry brush big enough to crawl through on your hands and knees. Follow that to the furthest roughest most rugged and dangerous places in the woods. Crawling most of the way with no room to stand up or turn around. You might hear Music or red howling snarling and barking, just up ahead, with the bear bayed up six dogs and Junior taking a shot, crying scream then a few yelps and back to barking and the fight wile Gray takes the ham and red gets hit ten feet back [you know red he has only a part of his voice box from a bear bite]. You see they are waiting on you and taking hard hits but the bear brakes for the fourth time just as you get close with the dogs on him again. Toward you or away from you each time. Ever even seen a bear run or bear trail in your life? Pay the state every year for your tag and kill a bear that don't know you are coming or where you are when you see him. Now that is bear hunting at it's best. Almost as good as the guided hunts with blinds and deer feeders I see watching TV outdoor hunting shows. Get in the brush make it home Kill a bear looking for what you can find otherwise. That is where there are.

A few years ago, I came around the corner on the far end of Skyline Road, high above Scappoose, just north of Portland, a mile or so just before it hits Rocky Point Road. I slowed down because it looked like a big dog was just sitting in the middle of the road. No dog. A good sized sow black bear. Coming home, I stopped at the home right by where I saw the bear just to let him know. "Actually, that's the little bear. The other one's a big boy," he said. "But it's the cougar that's what scares me.". That's all in a place that's become a bedroom community for rich Portland folks who want a mansion on the hill and where I'd seen lots of glamorous housewives out doing their morning power walks with their foo-foo dogs. I mentioned it to the guy, whose family had owned his property for almost 75 years. "Yep," he said. "We call 'em meals, ready to eat."

WELL, here was our fourth of july suprise,,,,not old enough for the dinner table yet.
cute as a bug.

PICT0647.jpg

I've taken many bear, and I can tell you they do come to the same spot again and again.
Blackberries are the magnet when they ripe.
Bear are a lot like people, they tend to sleep in. I've taken most of them in the afternoon when the sun is carrying the sweet smell of berries to your nose.
The one my son took two years ago was 6'7" and over 450#, and that one you could bet your money on was usually in the same patch of berries, but was hard to approach due to the wind direction that drifted into that canyon. The afternoon that it shifted to the east, done deal.

I have seen them come to the same place after finding a dead bull elk with an arrow in his guts. About two years later we found a cow elk with a shaft in her. Best bait the dogs ever came across.
I have seen many numbers of bear since then some wile still hunting, others on my deer stands up high - during bear season. [bear that I have not taken]. My experience has been much different, Times have changed there is no pressure on the bear this day and age and I stand corrected. salmonriverjohn

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top