JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been thinking about acquiring an inexpensive revolver with exposed hammer in 38spl or maybe even 357 Magnum. I have been scanning classifieds here and checking out sales elsewhere online and it's slim pickings out there in the low end revolver world.

Last Edited:
You can pick up a Rock Island M200 .38 Special for around $200. Bimart has them. They're a decent budget revolver, for the money. I know an FFL nearby who has a couple old police surplus S&W Model 10s (38 spl) for $230 each. They're not pretty but they're mechanically excellent, and a heck of a deal for the money. I passed up an older Taurus (I know...) .357 Mag revolver a while back, for $250.

Quality revolvers are definitely not cheap nowadays, but you can find a good deal now and then.

I'll second the rock island. Picked mine up years ago for practically nothing so I can't really complain. It shoots reliably. Two piece plastic grip it comes with is hot garbage, though.

It seems like the '90s were the heyday of inexpensive used revolvers, as all the police departments were trading them in for autos. I remember seeing Model 19s and 586s for $250 - $300 commonly. Model 10s were cheap and plentiful, and not very desirable. You can still find a good deal on a quality used revolver nowadays if you're patient.

I still see police trade in wheelguns float into various surplus dealers, but it was not like the glut in the past. Charter Arms and RIA put out decent low budg' revolvers. Ditto Rossi and Taurus too, though their business practices has stopped me from ever buying again.

"You can pick up a Rock Island M200 .38 Special for around $200. Bimart has them. They're a decent budget revolver, for the money. I know an FFL nearby who has a couple old police surplus S&W Model 10s (38 spl) for $230 each. They're not pretty but they're mechanically excellent, and a heck of a deal for the money. I passed up an older Taurus (I know...) .357 Mag revolver a while back, for $250."

IMHO, of the ree-volvulators mentioned, the Mod.10 is the best choice. If something is req'd to bring it up to correct function, the gun is worth the effort because of the original build quality and the ease of working on it. I worked as a gunsmith in a S&W factory warranty shop, and I still think the old ones show superb innate quality in the fit and function. They were truly a gun the average shooter could expect to use for the rest of his/herr life (assuming one doesn't shoot in the quantities that Jerry Miculek does).

IMG_3215.JPG IMG_3214.JPG

"You can pick up a Rock Island M200 .38 Special for around $200. Bimart has them. They're a decent budget revolver, for the money. I know an FFL nearby who has a couple old police surplus S&W Model 10s (38 spl) for $230 each. They're not pretty but they're mechanically excellent, and a heck of a deal for the money. I passed up an older Taurus (I know...) .357 Mag revolver a while back, for $250."

IMHO, of the ree-volvulators mentioned, the Mod.10 is the best choice. If something is req'd to bring it up to correct function, the gun is worth the effort because of the original build quality and the ease of working on it. I worked as a gunsmith in a S&W factory warranty shop, and I still think the old ones show superb innate quality in the fit and function. They were truly a gun the average shooter could expect to use for the rest of his/herr life (assuming one doesn't shoot in the quantities that Jerry Miculek does).
I will check my local bimart for a look at the M200.

I still see police trade in wheelguns float into various surplus dealers, but it was not like the glut in the past. Charter Arms and RIA put out decent low budg' revolvers. Ditto Rossi and Taurus too, though their business practices has stopped me from ever buying again.
Highline has a Charter Arms Undercover in Stainless for $320.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top