Where are all the cheap (inexpensive) revolvers?

arakboss

Reactions
I have been thinking about acquiring an inexpensive revolver with exposed hammer in 38spl or maybe even 357 Magnum. I have been scanning classifieds here and checking out sales elsewhere online and it's slim pickings out there in the low end revolver world.

Last edited:
Reactions
You can pick up a Rock Island M200 .38 Special for around $200. Bimart has them. They're a decent budget revolver, for the money. I know an FFL nearby who has a couple old police surplus S&W Model 10s (38 spl) for $230 each. They're not pretty but they're mechanically excellent, and a heck of a deal for the money. I passed up an older Taurus (I know...) .357 Mag revolver a while back, for $250.

Quality revolvers are definitely not cheap nowadays, but you can find a good deal now and then.

Reactions
It seems like the ‘90s were the heyday of inexpensive used revolvers, as all the police departments were trading them in for autos. I remember seeing Model 19s and 586s for $250 - $300 commonly. Model 10s were cheap and plentiful, and not very desirable. You can still find a good deal on a quality used revolver nowadays if you’re patient.

I still see police trade in wheelguns float into various surplus dealers, but it was not like the glut in the past. Charter Arms and RIA put out decent low budg' revolvers. Ditto Rossi and Taurus too, though their business practices has stopped me from ever buying again.

Reactions
"You can pick up a Rock Island M200 .38 Special for around $200. Bimart has them. They're a decent budget revolver, for the money. I know an FFL nearby who has a couple old police surplus S&W Model 10s (38 spl) for $230 each. They're not pretty but they're mechanically excellent, and a heck of a deal for the money. I passed up an older Taurus (I know...) .357 Mag revolver a while back, for $250."

IMHO, of the ree-volvulators mentioned, the Mod.10 is the best choice. If something is req'd to bring it up to correct function, the gun is worth the effort because of the original build quality and the ease of working on it. I worked as a gunsmith in a S&W factory warranty shop, and I still think the old ones show superb innate quality in the fit and function. They were truly a gun the average shooter could expect to use for the rest of his/herr life (assuming one doesn't shoot in the quantities that Jerry Miculek does).

OP
A

arakboss

Reactions
"You can pick up a Rock Island M200 .38 Special for around $200. Bimart has them. They're a decent budget revolver, for the money. I know an FFL nearby who has a couple old police surplus S&W Model 10s (38 spl) for $230 each. They're not pretty but they're mechanically excellent, and a heck of a deal for the money. I passed up an older Taurus (I know...) .357 Mag revolver a while back, for $250."

IMHO, of the ree-volvulators mentioned, the Mod.10 is the best choice. If something is req'd to bring it up to correct function, the gun is worth the effort because of the original build quality and the ease of working on it. I worked as a gunsmith in a S&W factory warranty shop, and I still think the old ones show superb innate quality in the fit and function. They were truly a gun the average shooter could expect to use for the rest of his/herr life (assuming one doesn't shoot in the quantities that Jerry Miculek does).
I will check my local bimart for a look at the M200.

OP
A

arakboss

Reactions
I still see police trade in wheelguns float into various surplus dealers, but it was not like the glut in the past. Charter Arms and RIA put out decent low budg' revolvers. Ditto Rossi and Taurus too, though their business practices has stopped me from ever buying again.
Highline has a Charter Arms Undercover in Stainless for $320.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Lead Farm Precision Rifle Match
The Lead Farm
34006 Gwinn Rd, Prosser, WA 99350, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom