JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, here's the situation: turning 21 in march, gonna apply for my CHL, Dad's already applying now, so my question is this: Since he can buy my gun for me, where should we look? Also, what should I look for in a gun? I'm gonna be mixing OCing and CCing quite alot (a.k.a., concealed at PCC, OC in the nasty parts of Portland), but not so much hunting or sporting. What should I look for in a gun?

Questions....

What training or weapons experience do you have? Why do you go to the nastier parts of Portland, unless you have to? If you have no Idea as to what you want in a personal defense firearm, then I will assume you have little or no handgun experience.

I recommend buying a 22LR semi-auto or revolver and get some professional shooting instruction. After that, you will probably have a good handle on what you will feel comfortable carrying, what fits your hand and shooting style and what caliber firearm you want for self defense.

Well, I don't have any training, so good assumption on your part. Unfortunately, some of the best parts of Portland are also the worst. For instance, going to the Keller to see a play, which gets out at 11. I don't care where you are in Portland, 11 is scary. I also have a federal air-Marshall for a father in law, so that's where my professional training is coming from :) mainly I'm looking for a gun that has stopping power, but doesn't attract the eye. So obviously a nice, bright shining revolver isn't my style. Something more like a jet-black glock or beretta has always caught my eye. Something slim, low profile. Though, I have no idea how I would even "shop" for my first gun.

"turning 21 in march"

"Though, I have no idea how I would even "shop" for my first gun."
...right...because I am...and I don't...I'm confused as to what is so difficult to understand. I am going to turn the legal age to apply for a Concealed Handgun License. Part of that is the enabling of the purchase of a handgun. However, I don't want to purchase a gun that I am not going to like, so I would appreciate some professional advice as to how the more professional owners selected their first gun. The practical ways of which I would normally do research and shop for products doesn't really avail me here, as I have no idea what to search for or what features of a handgun I would actually care about. If there's something I'm missing or some resource I haven't been pointed to yet, then by all means, show me the way. But I would appreciate actual constructive advice, and not vague, dis-understandable comments.

If your FIL is training you and is a federal air marshal he will have at least one gun if not more. Once you get some training under your belt shoot all the guns he has (hopefully a few different calibers) and start from there on your search. Local gunshops to get a "feel" of different manufacturers styles and fit for your hand will put you somewhere in the neighborhood of a good start :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top