JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
you can read stuff like this - found today on an Irish shooting forum.

Back story is, a non-shooter found an old beat-up Webley Junior in his dad's garage after he passed away...

He asks the Irish-based shooting forum -

Q. I found a Webley junior air pistol while clearing my deceased Dad's garage. I'd say it's from the 1950's. Do I need to call the Guards to collect it? [Guards = An Garda Sióchána - Irish police]

A. If you do that you will never see it again. Maybe that doesn't bother you. First thing you must decide is whether you want to keep it or not. Maybe it has sentimental value?

Alternatively you could drop it into a registered firearms dealer and apply for a license on it. You will only get a license if you meet a number of requirements and jump thorough several hoops. It may not be worth it.

A. That is up to you, but you have options. Ringing the Gardaí and telling them you have a gun, well put it this way, can you livestream it so we can all watch? biggrin.png

The gun is, and only by the thinnest margins, an actual gun under the law. A single shot, low powered, air pistol that were it a little less powerful would be considered a toy.

You can have An Gardaí collect it, you can drop it into the station (make sure to take it slowly, explain yourself very well before producing it so as not to get rugby tackled by the dude behind the counter, and leave it in whatever carrier you're using and let the Garda unwrap it), or alternatively you can, as said above, drop it into an RFD (Registered Firearm Dealer).

The RFD route is the best option. It gives you more options such as :

• Getting the gun out of your possession.
  • Having it stored safely and legally until you license it.
  • Having it stored until it sells (an RFD can sell it for you without you needing to license it)
If you decide you want to keep it you need to apply for a gun license. This is an easy, but can be somewhat long, process however there are other factors. Such as a gun safe. You need one for a pistol. Now it can be a small safe but with the safe, the license fee (€80) and then you have to show "Good reason" why you want the pistol (which is target shooting so you have to join a range which may cost hundreds per year) its a lot of money if you have zero interest in shooting.

If you already hunt/shoot then you know the process and the costs involved may be less as you'll have had to meet most of the criteria already. If not it'll be expensive.

So the first question is do you want to take up shooting, if you don't already do it?

Are you prepared for the costs (guesstimate of about €450 - €750) to be legally compliant).

If you answer no to both then store it in an RFD's, sell it, and save yourself the hassle.

Remember that in the Republic of Ireland, a nation, just like yours, that was born out of the barrel of a gun and will to use it, EVERY airgun over 1 Joule is considered to be a firearm, just like a .300Win Mag rifle. To have one, you have to have what they call a license. AND you have to be a member of a gun club to have a license. You can't even shoot one on your own land, as that is illegal in the Republic of Ireland. Target shooting can only take place on a target-shooting range.

Last Edited:
Things appear to have changed? some 15 years ago. i.e.

Criminal Justice Act 2006:
"... any airsoft gun that has a muzzle energy of one joule or less is no longer classified as a firearm.
... No license is required for an airsoft gun."

LEGAL NOTICE

Are airsoft imitation firearms and other realistic replicas legal?

Airsoft guns are legal in Ireland since the 2006 Criminal Justice Act altered the Firearms Acts.

As such, any airsoft gun thats muzzle energy is one joule or less is no longer classified as a firearm. No license is required for an airsoft gun.

HOWEVER. Airsoft guns are now classed as Real Imitation Firearms (RIFs)
and cannot be carried in public at ANY TIME. Even if you are carrying your RIF to the boot of your car, you MUST have it in a suitable carry case. If you are playing on private land with the permission of the owner, you must still ensure you are out of sight of the general public. If any member of the public feels threatened by what they see, they may well contact the authorities and you could find yourself in serious trouble.

Penalties for carrying a RIF (Real Imitation Firearms) in a public place include up to a €5000 fine or imprisonment up to 5 years, or both.

Air Soft Guns are not toys! They are used for target practise and war games and only by persons that are at least 18 years old. Make sure always to wear safety goggles or full face masks.

The impact of an Airsoft round will sting sharply for a few seconds and may leave a small bruise or red mark if it hits bare skin. The low velocity and low weight of the Airsoft round ensures its safe use by players

An Garda Síochána

The information below is intended to inform handlers of airsoft replica's as to the some of the powers of An Garda Síochána in the circumstance of the handler giving reason to be stopped. This list is by no means comprehensive.

When transporting, or in the possession of replica firearms handlers should ALWAYS act with due care and discretion so as to avoid the possibility of causing any form of distress to any member of the general public.

Mishandling of Replica Firearms which, intentionally or otherwise, causes alarm to a member of the general public is classed as assault and will be viewed as such in the eyes of the law.

An Garda Síochána will ALWAYS treat replica firearms with the same prejudice as actual firearms.

Well, you read it there - MORE than 1 Joule ME and it's a firearm. Modify your Airsoft toy at your peril.

Remember that in the RoI ALL bullpup design stocks are illegal, so no L85s or AUGs or Famas airsoft toys.

tac said:
Air Soft Guns are not toys! They are used for target practise and war games and only by persons that are at least 18 years old..

4wheels4ever - those words are NOT mine, they are part of the quote from the Garda explanation.

tac said:
Air Soft Guns are not toys! They are used for target practise and war games and only by persons that are at least 18 years old..

4wheels4ever - those words are NOT mine, they are part of the quote from the Garda explanation.
I know it. My comment wasn't directed at you. I probably didn't need to use the quote function.

Back story is, a non-shooter found an old beat-up Webley Junior in his dad's garage after he passed away...

Q. I found a Webley junior air pistol while clearing my deceased Dad's garage. I'd say it's from the 1950's. Do I need to call the Guards to collect it? [Guards = An Garda Sióchána - Irish police]

A. If you do that you will never see it again. Maybe that doesn't bother you. First thing you must decide is whether you want to keep it or not. Maybe it has sentimental value?

Alternatively you could drop it into a registered firearms dealer and apply for a license on it. You will only get a license if you meet a number of requirements and jump thorough several hoops. It may not be worth it.

A. That is up to you, but you have options. Ringing the Gardaí and telling them you have a gun, well put it this way, can you livestream it so we can all watch? View attachment 976306

The gun is, and only by the thinnest margins, an actual gun under the law. A single shot, low powered, air pistol that were it a little less powerful would be considered a toy.

You can have An Gardaí collect it, you can drop it into the station (make sure to take it slowly, explain yourself very well before producing it so as not to get rugby tackled by the dude behind the counter, and leave it in whatever carrier you're using and let the Garda unwrap it), or alternatively you can, as said above, drop it into an RFD (Registered Firearm Dealer).

• Having it stored until it sells (an RFD can sell it for you without you needing to license it)
If you decide you want to keep it you need to apply for a gun license. This is an easy, but can be somewhat long, process however there are other factors. Such as a gun safe. You need one for a pistol. Now it can be a small safe but with the safe, the license fee (€80) and then you have to show "Good reason" why you want the pistol (which is target shooting so you have to join a range which may cost hundreds per year) its a lot of money if you have zero interest in shooting.

If you already hunt/shoot then you know the process and the costs involved may be less as you'll have had to meet most of the criteria already. If not it'll be expensive.

So the first question is do you want to take up shooting, if you don't already do it?

Are you prepared for the costs (guesstimate of about €450 - €750) to be legally compliant).

If you answer no to both then store it in an RFD's, sell it, and save yourself the hassle.

Remember that in the Republic of Ireland, a nation, just like yours, that was born out of the barrel of a gun and will to use it, EVERY airgun over 1 Joule is considered to be a firearm, just like a .300Win Mag rifle. To have one, you have to have what they call a license. AND you have to be a member of a gun club to have a license. You can't even shoot one on your own land, as that is illegal in the Republic of Ireland. Target shooting can only take place on a target-shooting range.
Wow u have to have a license for an airgun? Methinks the british are afraid of the natives getting restless...

I remember the last time I was in Ireland I was in a wooded area near Cong and we heard tons of shooting for like an hour. I thought, "wow that's cool, I wonder if u can target shoot all over like that." Apparently not ha ha.

A. That is up to you, but you have options. Ringing the Gardaí and telling them you have a gun, well put it this way, can you livestream it so we can all watch? View attachment 976306

This is exactly why many Americans view the attempt to disarm us as something worthy of shooting others over.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top