JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been wondering the past few weeks, how much would have to go wrong, or how bad would things have to get before you start really taking a SHTF scenario seriously? You don't want to react to early, but if you wait to long, it could be to late.

Most of us have bug out, or stay in preparations, but when do you implement them?

Most people think SHTF is like a flashbulb going off so they will know. Unfortunately we are in a SHTF with the economy and it is happening very slow like the boiling frog story. Most people will stay in the pot too long.

jj

I've been wondering the past few weeks, how much would have to go wrong, or how bad would things have to get before you start really taking a SHTF scenario seriously? You don't want to react to early, but if you wait to long, it could be to late.

Most of us have bug out, or stay in preparations, but when do you implement them?

When? It depends...if a natural disaster hits (i.e. Earthquake) I'm probably going to sit in my house and wait it out for a bit before I hit the road. Heck, in a localized, natural disaster I'll probably just wait it out until the utlities turn back on; nevertheless, if they don't come on after a week, I'm bugged out.

Nobody can give you an exact date and time...some will hunker down until their neighbor's window will get smashed in and some will leave at the exact moment the news says their is looting going on downtown. Who is wrong? Who is right?

If you go right at the moment of a disaster, you risk hitting loads of traffic and congestion (people leaving work to go home, people rushing downtown to loot, emergency workers rushing on scene, ect.) and you might get grid-locked and burn all your gas sitting still on the road surrounded by everyone else that hit the road.

If you wait, you risk being a victim of looters. There is no right answer and each person has to decide for themselves when and what route to bug out. Rural people might bug out immediatly, while urbanites might wait for the roads to clear (or vise versa).

Nevertheless, the main thing is to get in the mindset, study mutliple skill sets, acquire needed supplies, get in shape and make a plan! This is what will save you...having supplies and no plan is like having a bunch of smoke detectors with dead batteries. If you don't take the time to plan out things, it will blow up in your face. Also, having a plan without gear or proper skill set is just as deadly...when your plan fails due to an unforseen event (Marshal Law, Flat Tire, Bad Weather, etc.) then you are up the creek without a paddle.

Prepping for SHTF is a fine balance of supplies, planning, fitness and knowledge. One is not more important than the other.

Most people think SHTF is like a flashbulb going off so they will know. Unfortunately we are in a SHTF with the economy and it is happening very slow like the boiling frog story. Most people will stay in the pot too long.

jj

I agree, however I don't feel the need to hunker down & start using my rashins, or head for the hills at this time. I'm still employed, there is still food on the shelves at the store. I'm not feeling it,----- "yet"

I think it requires some risk management, critical thinking skills, knowlege of human behavor etc... If ref to the boiling frog story, I think we are starting to see frogs jumping out. People are getting pissed at the TSA, people are voting diffrent, people are uneasy. The sheeple are growing restless, they know something is up they're just not sure what yet...

Yep the water gets warm and you just get comfortable:D You must not shop for groceries or gas if you don't feel it. Your dollar is sinking slowly and when you see the stuff not on the shelves then you waited too long.

The S did hit the fan and you are slowly getting the smell before it hits:s0112::s0112:

jj

I think it requires some risk management, critical thinking skills, knowlege of human behavor etc... If ref to the boiling frog story, I think we are starting to see frogs jumping out. People are getting pissed at the TSA, people are voting diffrent, people are uneasy. The sheeple are growing restless, they know something is up they're just not sure what yet...

Glenn Beck had three days of what is happening and who is responsible. Covered what is next too.:s0155:

jj

I agree, however I don't feel the need to hunker down & start using my rashins, or head for the hills at this time. I'm still employed, there is still food on the shelves at the store. I'm not feeling it,----- "yet"

People "hunker down" with their spending in an economic crash. They use the rations they bought much earlier because of the need for rotation and alot of us don't plan to run for the hills but to DRH defending my home.

jj

Tac SS-

This is an excellent question, so getting back to the original question in this thread, I answer "when the trucks stop rolling".

It has been discussed several times how our country is dependent on our trucking industry and if they don't roll on a daily basis our country will implode after 72 (maybe a little more but stores don't stock much) hours. Now this stop in trucking could be a result of one of the following: 1. peak oil; 2. oil refineries in the U.S. have stopped working or?????; 3. some kind of natural disaster that has severed the network of road ways; 4. Some kind of 'incident' of national security; 5. take your own guess.

Americans are very reactionary and if the news is showing some of the big cities starting to make runs on food and goods Americans, like sheep at the tail end of the flock will sprint to catch up to the front who are doing a brisk walk, will make a mad dash to there local stores. Once the shelves are bare and there isn't any sign of trucks rolling to replenish the shelves, then I feel the fan will go from low to high that is already covered in shat.

The no-life, self-centered, paranoid wana-be's that feel the government is coming for them at that time are going to be disappointed. The .GOV is going to secure the 'really important' geographical locations so when they feel that all is good, they will have these places ready to turn on. Such locations would be your Nuclear Power plants, Oil refineries, Damns, Airports already deemed critical by the FAA, railroad stations, seaports, military installations and of course facilities to house your elected officials. The government isn't going to care about your local cell tower, hospital or water reservoir, for those are local issues that your local government is supposedly going to handle... :s0114: I don't know why I find that so amusing.

If the trucks stop rolling it affects everyone. Stores, hospitals, local governments and rural communities (the really rural communities of less than 5,000 people more than 100 miles from a large city). The trickle down effect would be those critical individuals working critical jobs needed to sustain our daily standard of living like hydro generator operators, Law Enforcement (New Orleans P.D. during Katrina), medical personnel and list goes on, that would not show up for work due to "emergency" leave.

Trucks stop rolling... yup that is my indicator that the S has Hit The Fan.

SF-

i believe it will be a slow process in which the government becomes so overbearing that we finally get fed up.at this point that's what is happening.think about how much BS they have been legislating ,and how it spoon fed to us, so we dont freak out.it will come down to survival of the most well armed.

A data point for your decision making: If you're planning on bugging out, you have at most 3 hours from trigger event to tucked safely into your bolt-hole. That's how long it will take big brother to lock down traffic near major population centers. After that, forget about the interstates for sure.

A data point for your decision making: If you're planning on bugging out, you have at most 3 hours from trigger event to tucked safely into your bolt-hole. That's how long it will take big brother to lock down traffic near major population centers. After that, forget about the interstates for sure.

I'd think long the lines of broken down/crashed cars/trucks, etc would be shutting down the roads more then Big Brother.

When I turn on the news and major US cities are burning (L.A. riots style). The wife and I are set for one month, after that, if things don't get better they are going to get very interesting to say the least. Let's just pray we don't ever have to start digging into those emergency supplies.

You can predict and prepare for a natural disaster 'til you're blue in the face. I'm from Florida, preparing for hurricanes was automatic. You can't stand your ground in a lava flow or 180mph winds or raining ash, or a 300 foot wave...

...You can prepare for the human element. I'm with SF on the "When the trucks stop." It's not just food, medications for people and hospitals, can't buy ammo if there's no trucks to carry it, no resupply for local LEO's, no gas for fire trucks, the problems are endless. anyone who's worked retail or a shipping company or a place that relies on trucked goods, even being late causes problems, let alone not showing up at all.
So you realize what people will do. People look for leaders, some can't take a pee without listening to the daily sermons of their prefered orator; be they politicial, religious, people of social influence, or your standard cult leader. But when their leader says "Uh, <Insert SHTF Moment>, we're boned." people, well, forget they're human.
So, two-part answer, prepare against human nature, and the lack of flow of goods. Plus, unless you got a Faraday shielded Vault with a 101 on the front of it, just cross your fingers as far as nukes or EMP goes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top