JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I've been wanting an AR for over a year now. Saved up the money finally last Christmas, but had some family things come up, and had to do the right thing and wasn't able to purchase. Now I'm about to finally get to where I can purchase again, and prices are now soaring! I'm seeing AR's that were going for $850-$1100 just a few weeks ago, to people asking $1500-$2200 for the same setups!

It's a free market, and the rules of supply and demand have made it so that I can't purchase now... very disapointing, but that's life, right?

So my quesion to you all, when will the prices go back down? I'm guessing with the POTUS pushing for a bill early in January, the soonest we'd see the market correct would be if (or after) the bill is not passed and some of this push for the bans dies down.

In the meantime, I'm expecting prices to continue to go up.

What do you think?

They will go down in my opinion - maybe not right away, but there will come a time when either are tired of hanging onto thousands of dollars of inventory or needing to turn the inventory into cash. People have over-bought to the point of being silly, and they will need to unload stuff soometime. Not everyone, but many.

Doubt prices will go down until the smoke clears. So happy I stocked up at non-gouge prices.. Its truly more insane than the 08 epidemic! In 08 everyone contemplated an AWB, but today there really is an attempt of an AWB!

Panic buying lasted about 8 mos. to a year from what I recall in 08' But this time it seems way worse/fast so who knows. We didn't have major manufacturers/retailers crapping on the 2nd amendment last time feeding fires either.

It will be less than 8 months this time. No ban will pass the House in the next two years and in about 2-3 months the tragedy in Connecticut will be out of the news cycle, so the pressure for legislation will die down. My guess is that by March prices will be back to normal, so don't go out and pay $300 or $400 for a stripped lower unless you "need" it right now.

Panic buying lasted about 8 mos. to a year from what I recall in 08' But this time it seems way worse/fast so who knows. We didn't have major manufacturers/retailers crapping on the 2nd amendment last time feeding fires either.

This is so far beyond the '08 "panic"....what took almost 6 months in '08 has happened and more in less than a week.

my quote of the week from one of our favorite dealers " Semi autos have evaporated from the face of the planet."

9-18 months would be my guess, if at all. Depends on what happens. Prices today may be a screaming deal compared to a year from now. If the panic buying subsides, then you have the people who have learned about the laws of supply and demand and may stock up with more than they need. Just a guess tho.

I honestly think its a pointless rush. My gut tells me there are going to be lots of people who suddenly have found they got screwed. $400 for an off brand stripped lower? $30 PMags? Poor investment.
I just saw an ad on Armslist for a Colt LE 6920... for $2,450! That is an impressive $1,300 over retail.
I'll be just fine with my two year old $600 AR and 9 $12 PMags.

It appears to me there are many times more first time buyers of not only ARs but guns in general since the 08 rush. Typically panic buying (of anything) by those who have no former interest in the product, and buy for no other reason than being caught up in the frenzy, are likely to burn the market out very quickly. Regardless of the current statistics guns are still basically a 'nich' market and for the most part are largely in part bought by those who have an actual interest in them and take them out to shoot regularly. I could be way off but I believe because there are so many more first time buyers this time around, and the rush happening so much faster, this will result in the 'wave' cresting much sooner with the fall out proportionally as fast.

Once the Chicken Little's figure out that the sky is indeed, NOT falling. Sales will slacken and prices will come down. In 08, true some prices stayed high for up to a year, but you could still find reasonable prices if you shopped around and stayed away from big box or dealers that gouge.
I am fine with the runs on ammo, mags, and such... I own some very good stocks right now... :winkkiss:
Cheers and Happy Holidays!
Doc

Ok - hypothetical situation - A ban goes into effect then what? Do the available 'banned' guns go into a secondary sell off for higher prices and become held as a 'precious' item like gold? Do they get bought up in great amounts as a commodity by those who can afford to buy and hold on to them speculatively? Unlike gold guns in effect have no real support value, only to those who want them and that market could go away with time. The antique market could be used as a comparison given how it has fallen off dramatically due to a disappearing customer base.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top