JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
a LOT of people have been arrested for disord conduct/menacing for OCing in places where it's not "illegal" to do so. i've read countless articles where guys have been told things like "no, it's not illegal- but that doesn't make it legal" and "the sight of a gun sends people into panics" and so forth..

so long as you cooperate, the charges will be dropped and you'll get your gun back. but failing to hand over your sidearm to a bunch of overaggressive cops pointing theirs at you isn't wise.

I'm not sure about the laws in OR, but I imagine they are similar to those here in Washington. The thing that you need to be careful about is that although you have the right to openly carry, there are ordinances and laws against intimidation with a weapon. For example, if you walk down the sidewalk in Seattle carrying a weapon, you can be arrested if someone feels threatened by your presence. I think it is a silly law, but it is something you should be weary about.

There is absolutely so such thing as 'being arrested if someone feels threatened by your presence.' Please don't spread BS like that OR back it up with some proof.

a LOT of people have been arrested for disord conduct/menacing for OCing in places where it's not "illegal" to do so. i've read countless articles where guys have been told things like "no, it's not illegal- but that doesn't make it legal" and "the sight of a gun sends people into panics" and so forth..

so long as you cooperate, the charges will be dropped and you'll get your gun back. but failing to hand over your sidearm to a bunch of overaggressive cops pointing theirs at you isn't wise.

This, too, is complete hogwash. Countless articles?? I challenge you to post ONE from Oregon or Washington where anyone has been arrested for open carry.

I open carry everyday, everywhere I go, and I have never been arrested.

This, too, is complete hogwash. Countless articles?? I challenge you to post ONE from Oregon or Washington where anyone has been arrested for open carry.

I open carry everyday, everywhere I go, and I have never been arrested.

i dont have any from oregon or washington- most i've read are from wisconsin and surrounding areas. I'll dig some up and post at my leisure.

did you somehow miss developing the basic psychological skills required to express skepticism without being blatantly insulting?

i dont have any from oregon or washington- most i've read are from wisconsin and surrounding areas. I'll dig some up and post at my leisure.

did you somehow miss developing the basic psychological skills required to express skepticism without being blatantly insulting?

I agree my post could have been a little kinder, but when you say 'countless articles', which is obviously a ridiculous exaggeration, it gets my hackles up.

How many articles from Wisconsin are you talking about? One? Two? Certainly nowhere near 'countless'.

I have an idea that may keep the rumbling back and forth down and give people that open carry a place to hang out on NWfirearms.com Administrators what say you we add a Open Carry forum on this great NW website? This might eliminate some banter in the General Discussion forum.

I might just start a gun forum on my 4x4 website tonight, since it is a 4x4 site mainly and global not local like this one I would only need a general 2nd Amendment forum. Sorry just thinking out loud here.

With all due respect to each of you!

There is no such thing as an "appropriate" time to OC. If its lawful it is appropriate. Opinions like MountainBear's are just what the doctor ordered for gun control advocates (again MB this is not an attack). As we continue to buckle to political correctness, we are choosing to NOT exercise our god given right(s). We actually aide in the erosion of those rights. Community organizers and gun control activists are more than willing to see all of us walk away from our freedoms without as much as a whimper. They swallow up yet another small freedom on their way to total gun confiscation.

We must not ignore these issues nor should we "avoid" the hassle of the OC question. This is a perfect example of the "slippery slope" that many people deny exists.

I will admit to not Open Carrying often but I now see the error of my ways. I will attempt to OC regularly just for the sake of the right.

Respectfully,

T_H

:s0013:

I don't take your opinion personally. However, allow me to respond.

Just because something is legal does not make it right or appropriate. Rather I think open carrying in certain venues give ammunition to those who would seek to infringe on our rights. Instead of being concerned citizens who care about the people around us, even the strangers, and doing all we can to maintain our right to carry while respecting their rights not to be made uncomfortable, we are being seen as gun toting gangsters (I liken back to the old mobsters, rather than the modern gang-bangers) or cowboys ready to shoot things up. The urbanization of the US means that we are beyond the point where open carry will become common place again, right or wrong. Even in the old west, in more urban areas, vest guns and pocket guns were the norm (suits being a more common urban thing), rather than belt rigs and Winchesters. I'm sure men still carried in belts, openly, but even then I imagine people looked at them a bit sideways, although certainly not to the extent they do today.

We have the right to keep and to BEAR arms. We do not have the right to impose our beliefs on those around us, nor do we have the right to knowingly and purposefully make those around us uncomfortable. My argument is based on the idea that carrying concealed (some attempt at least) is in good faith with the second amendment. We are still, after all, exercising our right to keep and bear our arms. By concealed carrying rather than open carrying, we have not given up our God-Given rights. We are simply choosing to exercise them in a way that is respectful (not politically correct, after all we still have our guns) to those who do not share our decision to defend ourselves.

When and where CCW is outlawed is where I believe our rights are being infringed on. And that is where I will focus my efforts.

Some people feel as though they shouldn't need permission to carry a gun. And by law, they would be correct. So, legaly, OC is their only option. Is it still wrong to OC in this instance?

Second, who cares if they feel uncomfortable? Seriously. We praise about tolerance in this country; Race, religion, sexuality. Being armed and safe is a HUGE pat of a lot of our lives. In some instances, bigger than religion is to most people. They make me uncomfortable if they paint me as a criminal for OC'ing. So what should I care if THEY are uncomfortable?

Some people feel as though they shouldn't need permission to carry a gun. And by law, they would be correct. So, legaly, OC is their only option. Is it still wrong to OC in this instance?

Second, who cares if they feel uncomfortable? Seriously. We praise about tolerance in this country; Race, religion, sexuality. Being armed and safe is a HUGE pat of a lot of our lives. In some instances, bigger than religion is to most people. They make me uncomfortable if they paint me as a criminal for OC'ing. So what should I care if THEY are uncomfortable?

In a "shall issue" state, yes OC is still inappropriate in many, if not most, instances. It is simply a matter of meeting the requirements. In a "may issue" or no CC state, then it becomes more of a gray area.

As for not caring if they're uncomfortable, try to remember, we will need all the help we can get to preserve our rights. We will need the help of people who don't necessarily own guns. We should not alienate them if at all possible. Thats not groveling to keep rights we shouldn't even have to ask for, its simply a matter of keeping as many people on our side as possible.

Is it right that we care more about them than they do about us? No. But thats the difference between being a sheep or a sheep dog.

Very well said, Bear.

Thank you for not having a horrible attitude like others on this topic.:s0155:

No point in getting nasty with each other, we're all wanting the same thing. Its okay if we don't necessarily agree with each other on the best way to achieve or preserve it. This is an excellent place to discuss the various viewpoints we all have regarding how we exercise our rights to keep and bear our arms.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. Because we don't OC people are shocked and terrified when they see it. MB......your response(s) are more than polite and you are certainly entitled to them but remember. You will soon lose rights that you choose to not excersise. Also the gun control nuts will never stop until all law abiding citizens have lost our 2nd ammendment right. Just look at New York. It will never stop and the best way to preserve our right(s) are to guard ALL of them including via excersizing them.

If we all OC'd regularly whereever legal it wouldn't feel "inappropriate".

Don't wait until the water is up to your neck before you try to patch the hole in the boat. It's too late to stem the tide then. I'm going to begin as soon as my ankles get wet.

G'Day!

T_H

Don't wait until the water is up to your neck before you try to patch the hole in the boat. It's too late to stem the tide then. I'm going to begin as soon as my ankles get wet.

With all due respect, the OC boat sank before either of us were born.

And I choose to exercise my right to concealed carry every day. I actively support our right to CC and support all others fighting for their rights to obtain permits (in IL and WI) as well as converting "may issue" to "shall issue" and the nationwide reciprocity of CCW permits. My efforts go towards being able to exercise my right to concealed carry no matter where I may be forced to travel (see CALIFORNIA).

Unfortunately, I think I have to agree too.

CC'ing is great, and I love the idea. But I, personally, don't see how it is "furthering the cause", so to speak. All I see, is it proves to the government that they CAN regulate your right to defend yourself, and once more, people will fall in line.

However, I do prefer to conceal. One advantage I like about open carry is quick access. But generally, it's just better off concealed. But what does that accomplish in the long run? Well, nothing. But some could argue, and wouldn't be off-base, that walking around with a gun everywhere turns people's noses up to the idea anyway.

Just one of those things!

This thread has inspired me. I think i will start open carrying more often and see how it goes. I'm much happier carrying a fullsize 1911 over the little PT145 I usually carry in the summer. Longer guns are simply much easier to shoot accurately and hit harder. I perfer fullsize guns.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top