JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You have to enjoy reloading for itself or forget it. It takes a lot of equipment and space and... There's a lot more needed than a press and some dies.

Yes, although you don't need THAT much space. I have a portable bench and store all the equipment in shelves underneath it. Another foot locker for components and that's about it for space. All of it could fit in a closet.

But yeah, you're right you need more than just a press and dies.

I really don't think reloading pays for itself. I wouldn't get into it for the cost savings. In SOME cases, it can be cost effective...I did the math, and excluding the fixed cost of the equipment (which was not insubstantial), my home-rolled 168gr .308 match ammo, using the exact same components as Federal Gold Match, is about 25% the price of Federal GMM. But that's the extreme case...for something like 9mm, you'll never break even.

People should reload because:

• it "completes the circle" - fills out your gun knowledge
  • you can make more accurate ammo
  • you can fine-tune your ammo
  • you don't have to rely on what ammo manufacturers think you want - you can work up (within safety limits, of course) the exact ammo you want
I guess another reason is you're not likely to run out of ammo. Since you typically buy components in bulk, people usually have enough gunpowder, primers, and bullets on hand to make lots of rounds.

TheHighRoad's reloading forum is very good. They have a sticky thread on the very subject of "break even":

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=18835

Some more points.

During this ammo shortage, I never had trouble finding reloading components except that I paid a premium for primers once from gunbroker. Since then I've been able to stock up on primers at "normal" prices.

A couple of cost examples. TonsOfOregonBrass on here is offering Lake City .223/556 brass at $115 for 2,000 cases, shipped. I can always buy bullets for $80 - $90 per K shipped. Add $35 per K primers and $35 per K for powder and that's around $220 per K to roll those.

Now, that's if you don't own the brass to start. Once you do you can reload it several times so subsequent loads are $160 per K. That's pretty close to Milspec M193.

On gunbroker I've picked up matched head stamp, once fired 9mm brass for as low as $30 per K shipped. Add $100 per K for FMJ or $150 per K for high quality brand name JHP bullets. Another $60 for primers and powder, max.

That's $190 per K for FMJ or $240 per K for JHP. Subtract $30 per K if you already own the brass. When I say "high quality JHP" I mean Remington Golden Saber or Hornady XTP/HP or Speer Gold Dot, etc. I can buy Montana Gold JHP for about the same price as FMJ, but I don't know if it will perform like the others listed in a critical situation.

Now that I have brass, it's $160 per K for .556/.223 and $210 per K for quality JHP 9mm or $160 per K for FMJ 9mm. Other calibers are proportionately cheaper than buying new.

PS. Ammo shortage? I have the equipment and supplies to load at least 3,000 rounds of each caliber I use. Mostly, I have more than that. I actually have enough components including brass to load 20,000 rounds.

That's not counting my various 22lr rounds I've picked up, or the rounds I have new or already loaded.

I think I have about $1,200 tied up in reloading equipment including two Lee presses, several sets of dies, a tumbler, a chronograph, etc.

My personal "best buy" on a press set up is the Lee Classic Turret. Here's a kit I'd give a best buy to AFAIK. No, it's not a Dillon, but it will get it done just fine. It's a four hole turret. <broken link removed>

It's not a progressive press. I HATE progressive presses because I can't watch everything at once. This press accepts just one empty case at a time (on the ram in a shell holder) and performs just one action on that case with each stroke of the handle. A Progressive holds three or more cases at a time, rotates them and performs an action on each of them with each pull of the handle. It's faster maybe, but really hard for me to watch and for me to weigh every tenth powder charge, etc, etc.

$.02

PS If the SHTF you don't need electricity to reload. I keep all of my brass tumbled for that reason, but even then you could get by without the tumbler in a pinch.

My personal "best buy" on a press set up is the Lee Classic Turret. Here's a kit I'd give a best buy to AFAIK. No, it's not a Dillon, but it will get it done just fine. It's a four hole turret. <broken link removed>

It's not a progressive press. I HATE progressive presses because I can't watch everything at once. This press accepts just one empty case at a time (on the ram in a shell holder) and performs just one action on that case with each stroke of the handle. A Progressive holds three or more cases at a time, rotates them and performs an action on each of them with each pull of the handle. It's faster maybe, but really hard for me to watch and for me to weigh every tenth powder charge, etc, etc.

I too am a big fan of this setup.

I too am a big fan of this setup.

Thanks. I forgot to add that it will work as a single stage press for beginning to load. You can disable the part which turns it, and stay on one set of dies for the whole batch. You can install all of the dies if desired and turn the turret by hand for the next process, or just use one hole and change dies.

You don't have to use the primer feeders or the powder measure either until you're ready. Because the shell is in a shell holder on the ram, you actually have a single stage press.

When you get more comfortable, you can put cartridge feeding tubes on it, fill the primer feeder and powder measure, re-engage the turning mechanism and crank 'em out.

If you buy a separate turret for each set of dies, you don't ever have to remove your dies. The turrets pop right out. Turrets are about $11 ea. IIRC.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top