JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bless you! Blessings be upon you and your house!! Now go and sin no more!!!

I think you are brave to write that up. Sorry to say that it's an excellent report. o_O

I'm getting older and also have health issues... I find that I am not as sharp as I used to be and that unfortunately carries over to firearms. I've always thought I was the safest guy around but I've been making smallish mistakes, errors, and omissions. So I worry now about making a mistake while gun handling. Means I need to remember to focus or not participate. Esp since I shoot action pistol. Thanx for the reminder!!!

With your persimmon, I'd like to re-post your post on another forum - firearmstalk.com. It sure was/is a hard lesson to have to learn, but we should all be grateful, nonetheless, that it was 'only' the OP's foot in the way, and not his own or another person's head.

Get well soon, Bro!

Oh bubblegum! Glad you are ok and suffered no permanent injuries or had any collateral damage.
Props to you for sharing your story. Always a great reminder to us all.
A couple of follow up questions:
1. Will the bones mend back or will it be kind of a soft spot forever?
2. Where is your safe? Top floor, basement, garage etc? Curious to where the bullet came to rest. Did it ricochet, go through the floor/ceiling, disintegrated on cement floor etc?

Best of luck in your recovery.
Thanks for sharing.
Bones should heal. The fact that the wound channel stayed stable through the bones means it was a a cylindrical path. That's actually a pretty stable structure in itself, like a subway tunnel through rock. My pistol safe is upstairs in my closet. It's just above a completely empty bedroom, so that's lucky. I'll be interested myself in seeing where the bullet ended up and how much residual velocity it carries after exiting my foot. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Last Edited:
With your persimmon, I'd like to re-post your post on another forum - firearmstalk.com. It sure was/is a hard lesson to have to learn, but we should all be grateful, nonetheless, that it was 'only' the OP's foot in the way, and not his own or another person's head.

Get well soon, Bro!

Feel free to share it. It was meant for that purpose. Thanks

uh hmmm..... your not alone.

Stuff like that happens so fast the only way to assess it is after that fact. Just doing the normal everyday stuff, not as attentive as you should be, maybe something a little different is going on and bammo!

I've been playing with and shooting guns for about as long as the OP, been through all the training, know exactly what to do right, every time, but it only takes a millisecond of distraction or confusion for something like that to happen. I don't think I know anyone my age who can honestly say they've been 100% 'in the moment' 100% of the time.

I think the roughest thing your going to go through is getting your confidence back, making yourself believe your still the same careful, attentive person you used to believe you were and not being a danger to others. It sounds silly but your emotions will swing hard, your going to be harder on yourself than anyone else will be. Your going to question your ability, your attentiveness, even your own mind for a bit, "how could this happen?".

We all make mistakes, monumental mistakes, most don't leave you with a permanent reminder, you can sweep them under the rug and hope a lesson was learned. Think about the times you've done something horrendous (accidentally or not), your heart fell into you stomach because you realize after the fact the consequences of what could have happened and how lucky you just were. It will leave you cold and scared of yourself for a moment. Sometimes we get lucky, sometimes we pay the price.

I just spent a week w/one of my best buds in the wilderness, we've both got extra holes in us that were self inflicted and can laugh about it to ourselves. I trust him implicitly, I think you have to have been there to appreciate how even the best, most thoughtful, conscientious and careful people can and do have a bad day once in a while.

Those 4 simple rules will prevent these things from happening EVERY TIME but at the end of the day we're human, not machines. People will say all sorts of things, but the ones yelling the loudest that it would never happen to them are the ones I'd be looking at sideways.

Your good SS, the fact your not hiding your moment of stupidity (what else can we call it? Like I said, been there....) is part of your therapy for getting over it emotionally. It's important to hear that people still believe in you and understand. Folks outside or new to the firearm world will see something like this and after they pick they're jaw up off the floor will be railing about how terrible it is and it should never happen and what were you thinking and....yada, yada, yada. F them!

It's not a proud moment, your going to suffer a bit from it. Though you may heal up just fine don't believe for a minute it's not going to bother you later and maybe forever. A constant reminder of one of your worst days, yay.

Head up, your still the same guy. Probably not a lesson you needed to learn but there you go, we don't always get to pick our learning moments. Some of the most important lessons tend to smack you up side the head :p

Stuff like that happens so fast the only way to assess it is after that fact. Just doing the normal everyday stuff, not as attentive as you should be, maybe something a little different is going on and bammo!

I've been playing with and shooting guns for about as long as the OP, been through all the training, know exactly what to do right, every time, but it only takes a millisecond of distraction or confusion for something like that to happen. I don't think I know anyone my age who can honestly say they've been 100% 'in the moment' 100% of the time.

I think the roughest thing your going to go through is getting your confidence back, making yourself believe your still the same careful, attentive person you used to believe you were and not being a danger to others. It sounds silly but your emotions will swing hard, your going to be harder on yourself than anyone else will be. Your going to question your ability, your attentiveness, even your own mind for a bit, "how could this happen?".

We all make mistakes, monumental mistakes, most don't leave you with a permanent reminder, you can sweep them under the rug and hope a lesson was learned. Think about the times you've done something horrendous (accidentally or not), your heart fell into you stomach because you realize after the fact the consequences of what could have happened and how lucky you just were. It will leave you cold and scared of yourself for a moment. Sometimes we get lucky, sometimes we pay the price.

I just spent a week w/one of my best buds in the wilderness, we've both got extra holes in us that were self inflicted and can laugh about it to ourselves. I trust him implicitly, I think you have to have been there to appreciate how even the best, most thoughtful, conscientious and careful people can and do have a bad day once in a while.

Those 4 simple rules will prevent these things from happening EVERY TIME but at the end of the day we're human, not machines. People will say all sorts of things, but the ones yelling the loudest that it would never happen to them are the ones I'd be looking at sideways.

Your good SS, the fact your not hiding your moment of stupidity (what else can we call it? Like I said, been there....) is part of your therapy for getting over it emotionally. It's important to hear that people still believe in you and understand. Folks outside or new to the firearm world will see something like this and after they pick they're jaw up off the floor will be railing about how terrible it is and it should never happen and what were you thinking and....yada, yada, yada. F them!

It's not a proud moment, your going to suffer a bit from it. Though you may heal up just fine don't believe for a minute it's not going to bother you later and maybe forever. A constant reminder of one of your worst days, yay.

Head up, your still the same guy. Probably not a lesson you needed to learn but there you go, we don't always get to pick our learning moments. Some of the most important lessons tend to smack you up side the head :p
Great Post. OP and the one quoted above^

Thanks for sharing this humiliating and sobering event in your life, in great detail. May your story help prevent the same or worse for someone else. Don't be too hard on yourself brother, sounds like you've already started the mental healing process by putting everything down on paper. Praying you heal fast and proper.

Man Thank god it wasn't more serious.
I'm glad your Okay (as good as that could be)
My stepbrother did the same thing.
Only he was a 10 yr police officer, and he did it in the police locker room with a .45.

Your going to be harder on yourself than anyone else, but sharing this story even if it's a blow to you mentally may save someone else from the same incident.

Just like driving, riding motorcycles, living with wolves, you do anything enough and your going to have an accident.

I had one when I was around 21 unloading a .22 pump rifle, luckily I didn't hurt myself or others around me, but it was a sobering experience. One that stuck with me till this day.

Take care if you need anything let us know! Please

Yeah.... All this ^^.

Reading the original post I was squirming uncontrollably in my chair. And the pics. Sobering. Thanks for being here and opening up with the story.

OWIEE!
My ND would have blown my left arm off with a little bad luck.
Lesson learned: don't handle guns when you're intoxicated :eek:, but then I already knew that and was just ignoring it.
I don't ignore it anymore.

:eek:

Thank you for having the courage to post this.

From the hospital none the less, I'm guessing?

You are very brave for showing us how a simple moment or two can lead to a very bad moment in ones life.

Glad you have come out of this with your life, your foot, and your humility!

The fact that you are rebounding quickly and able to comment on how well the type of bullet performed, shows your character. I feel like you are humble and that you wish this upon no one.

So I say once again. Thank you for sharing.

Holy Cow! Thank God you are recovering. Thank you for the painful reminder to all of us to always be extra safe. Prayers for you and yours for a speedy recovery.

I'm glad you're ok. Thanks for having the stones to post this. Hopefully we all learn something from your experience.

I think the roughest thing your going to go through is getting your confidence back, making yourself believe your still the same careful, attentive person you used to believe you were and not being a danger to others. It sounds silly but your emotions will swing hard, your going to be harder on yourself than anyone else will be. Your going to question your ability, your attentiveness, even your own mind for a bit, "how could this happen?"....It's not a proud moment, your going to suffer a bit from it. Though you may heal up just fine don't believe for a minute it's not going to bother you later and maybe forever. A constant reminder of one of your worst days.
Thanks. Just FYI, but after I retired from the Air Force I went back to grad school and became a psychologist, a second career I've since retired from but still dabble in on a contract basis. You're absolutely right in what you say. And even though I know what you're saying is true on an intellectual level, it also helps to hear it from you that maintaining awareness of the emotional component is probably more important. So thanks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top