JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Newbie to guns here and just recently bought a .38spl/.357 revolver. I've purchased some "range" ammo and some SD ammo in both .38 and .357 calibers, but obviously I paid dearly for it and had to look hard to find it. I read people here talk about prices returning to "normal" after the panic is over, but I have no idea what "normal" is. And maybe there will never be a "normal" again. But can some of you give me an idea of what prices were per round of the above categories of ammo before this latest panic? I suppose I'll just keep buying from time to time and "dollar cost average" my supply, but I'd kind of like to know a ball park figure of what would be a fair price in a non-panic environment. Thanks in advance for your help!
Clark

If you are currently only shooting 38 and 357 I would recommend reloading as the same dies can be used for both. A pre panic for 38 would have been 15-18 per 50rnd and 357 20-25 for range type rounds. The defense rounds usually a buck a round for 357 and .80 for 38

I only reload .38s for my dad and he brings me all the cases and bullets, so I don't know exactly. I do know that I am currently at about $4.00ish/50 for 9mm and $8ish/50 for 230gr .45s. That was pre-panic, but I have so much in reserve that I expect to cruise through this panic without even noticing....

A pre panic for 38 would have been 15-18 per 50rnd and 357 20-25 for range type rounds. The defense rounds usually a buck a round for 357 and .80 for 38

Thanks, deadeye. I bought ammo today at Bi-Mart and paid .34 a round for 38 spl range ammo, .87 per round for Hornady 110 gr. FTX Critical Defense ammo, and for the .357 ammo I paid .52 per round for range ammo and there was no .357 SD ammo available. The range ammo i bought was FMJ. So the prices are up, but maybe they aren't too far off the pre-panic prices after-all.

It's only natural to think that a panic induced shortage will result in much higher regular prices when it ends.

Not necessarily. Ammo is pretty much a commodity that will vary in price due to demand and availability. The last "panic" just happened to coincide with a rapid run-up of the metals market. Lead, Copper, Zinc, prices were among the largest factors in higher ammo (and components) price increases once supply returned to normal.

On the other hand, if factories today are turning out as much as they can, as fast as they can, and the raw materials prices remain somewhat stable, we may see a glut of product on the market once everyone has filled their closets, under the bed, and every corner of their basements, with ammo. The rush will also slow down as those who are just "buying for the sake of buying" have maxed their credit cards out.

Who knows, maybe even Uncle Sam will have some "surplus ammo" to sell off when all the troops are home from Afghanistan. Even if not, there will be excess capacity at the factories so prices will more likely than not go down to encourage more sales.

I can't help much as far as the cost of ammo because I haven't bought any in a long while, but reading about what folks are paying makes me glad that I cast and reload. If my .38 special reloads cost me a nickel a round it's too much.

Of course I reuse the brass and lead, and there is the time factor. If you value your time it's not quite as much of a bargain.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top