Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

When the panic is over...what price for ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Clarkie46, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Clarkie46

Clarkie46 Near Portland, OR Member

Newbie to guns here and just recently bought a .38spl/.357 revolver. I've purchased some "range" ammo and some SD ammo in both .38 and .357 calibers, but obviously I paid dearly for it and had to look hard to find it. I read people here talk about prices returning to "normal" after the panic is over, but I have no idea what "normal" is. And maybe there will never be a "normal" again. But can some of you give me an idea of what prices were per round of the above categories of ammo before this latest panic? I suppose I'll just keep buying from time to time and "dollar cost average" my supply, but I'd kind of like to know a ball park figure of what would be a fair price in a non-panic environment. Thanks in advance for your help!
    Clark

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

If you are currently only shooting 38 and 357 I would recommend reloading as the same dies can be used for both. A pre panic for 38 would have been 15-18 per 50rnd and 357 20-25 for range type rounds. The defense rounds usually a buck a round for 357 and .80 for 38

3. safooma

safooma Oregon Member

I only reload .38s for my dad and he brings me all the cases and bullets, so I don't know exactly. I do know that I am currently at about $4.00ish/50 for 9mm and $8ish/50 for 230gr .45s. That was pre-panic, but I have so much in reserve that I expect to cruise through this panic without even noticing....

4. Clarkie46

Clarkie46 Near Portland, OR Member

Thanks, deadeye. I bought ammo today at Bi-Mart and paid .34 a round for 38 spl range ammo, .87 per round for Hornady 110 gr. FTX Critical Defense ammo, and for the .357 ammo I paid .52 per round for range ammo and there was no .357 SD ammo available. The range ammo i bought was FMJ. So the prices are up, but maybe they aren't too far off the pre-panic prices after-all.

5. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

It's only natural to think that a panic induced shortage will result in much higher regular prices when it ends.

Not necessarily. Ammo is pretty much a commodity that will vary in price due to demand and availability. The last "panic" just happened to coincide with a rapid run-up of the metals market. Lead, Copper, Zinc, prices were among the largest factors in higher ammo (and components) price increases once supply returned to normal.

On the other hand, if factories today are turning out as much as they can, as fast as they can, and the raw materials prices remain somewhat stable, we may see a glut of product on the market once everyone has filled their closets, under the bed, and every corner of their basements, with ammo. The rush will also slow down as those who are just "buying for the sake of buying" have maxed their credit cards out.

Who knows, maybe even Uncle Sam will have some "surplus ammo" to sell off when all the troops are home from Afghanistan. Even if not, there will be excess capacity at the factories so prices will more likely than not go down to encourage more sales.

6. CLT65

CLT65 Yamhill County Active Member

I can't help much as far as the cost of ammo because I haven't bought any in a long while, but reading about what folks are paying makes me glad that I cast and reload. If my .38 special reloads cost me a nickel a round it's too much.

Of course I reuse the brass and lead, and there is the time factor. If you value your time it's not quite as much of a bargain.

7. digital0ne

digital0ne Portland, OR New Member

9mm is only 12.97 at bimart when you can find it. I'm surprised they didn't bump the price, I expected (and would have paid) more then that.

8. splnut

splnut WA New Member

Bi-Mart doesn't seem to play that game.

Last time we went through this their prices were business as usual, just as now.

9. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Yep, glad to see they are maintaining price integrity. They have too much at stake to lose any customers over price gouging and any (price gouging) would ruin their reputation as a discount store.