JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm not new to firearm ownership, but I did recently buy a .22 lr bolt carrier group from CMMG with the intent that I could easily shoot .22 lr out of an AR by simply trading the BCG. I love it, it makes basic manipulation and basic target shooting very cheap and also is fantastic for training weaker and younger shooters on the basics of shooting the AR if the recoil and noise level of 5.56 is more than they appreciate (remember the best way to have people get into shooting is to keep it safe and fun for them)

$150 for the .22 BCG, it was an easy buy and being able to shoot .22 lr out of the AR you already have all set up for 5.56 is a whole bunch of fun.

Well - I'm sure everyone knows how the cycle goes. PSA had a sale for a free floated upper with a lightweight m-lok rail and stainless steel pencil barrel w/o BCG for $219 with free shipping and I couldn't help but think that it would be perfect mated up with my .22 lr BCG. That way I had just a dedicated upper to shoot .22 lr out of instead of the dirty business of pulling BCG's out and switching them.

I'm sure everyone can probably hypothesize that eventually that upper will get a new lower matched with it so instead of just a upper I have a dedicated complete .22 lr AR (that BTW could be made into a 5.56 AR just with changing the BCG)

I hope everyone is enjoying this period of cheap firearm bliss because I sure am!

As we get closer to the next presidential election all those nice deals are going to vanish.

Could instead buy a m&p 15-22 for around 300ish. Had the same controls as an AR but lighter.

Good point, I'm sure many people could benefit from going that route.

Personally, I find the ability to exchange BCG and fire 5.56 to be of more value than the small savings in weight and in money (about $200) I would otherwise get.

In my opinion, the best .22 rifle is the Ruger 10/22 and if I am going to purchase a rifle only chambered in .22 it will be more of those.

You forgot to mention that you also need special .22 lr magazines.

You are correct that I have not mentioned the magazines yet.

They are $15 a piece for a 25round mag, (one came with the BCG) but I assumed anyone on here would be able to put two and two together that you need .22 lr AR mags if you are going to shoot .22 lr with your caliber conversion BCG.

Otherwise if I was that worried about the intelligence of this forum's users I would also explain to readers what end of the gun the bullet comes out of.... lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top