JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is not because anyone over 50 is worthless. Its because once you have established yourself, helping and teaching others is what healthy elders do.
Huzzah!

You know them by the number of pills they must take to stay alive and by the insulin for their diabetes.
Pills, insulin and diabetes are not necessarily a function of lifestyle. Some people reached into the gene pool and pulled out a jake. 💩

Seeds - I need to order heirloom seeds in vacuum packaging/etc.
Just thinking about the Heirlooms I haven't ordered either. remember the point of Heirlooms is the replanting of the seeds from the harvest. How many of us have saved seed from our harvest? I plant every year and harvest but I have not practiced recovering and replanting Heirloom seeds.

one thing I haven't seen yet on this thread is Lye, 5 gallon bucket for the latrine with a 5 gallon bucket of lye to kill smell and cut down disease. if you have the Costco warehouse size prep area a 55 gallon drum or two would help with the bodies I keep hearing will be buried or eaten.

one thing I haven't seen yet on this thread is Lye, 5 gallon bucket for the latrine with a 5 gallon bucket of lye to kill smell and cut down disease. if you have the Costco warehouse size prep area a 55 gallon drum or two would help with the bodies I keep hearing will be buried or eaten.
I have a 100-lb supply of clumping kitty litter and several boxes of Hefty "yard-size" garbage bags for that end of my alimentary canal.
If it really gets to the point of "societal" collapse, then that will include the city water and sewer systems.
If there's no water coming in, then nothing's gonna flush out. And I'm gonna eat, so I'm gonna crap, so there has to be a way to deal with that...

Last Edited:
Just thinking about the Heirlooms I haven't ordered either. remember the point of Heirlooms is the replanting of the seeds from the harvest. How many of us have saved seed from our harvest? I plant every year and harvest but I have not practiced recovering and replanting Heirloom seeds.
The best book on seed saving is Seed to Seed by Suzanne Ashworth.

Honestly if things got that bad I would be more inclined to say durable goods are your best bet , sure someone is always going to want precious metal but you can't eat money and in an economy like that barter is going to probably be king .... I stock up on non perishable items that are useful and can be bartered for other things that might be needed

Trade goods (think frontier trading post), easy to store/transport, looong shelf life, often overlooked but essential
- fishing line (mono and braid), hooks
- guitar/banjo/fiddle/etc. strings
- rope, wire, chain, duct tape, zip-ties, work gloves
- thread/yarn/needles/buttons, shoe laces, candle/lantern wicks
- the basic med supplies, rolled bandages, bar disinfectant soap, dry chlorine
- boxes of how-to books

Hint... how many folks do you know with a bicycle, those bikes will become essential when fuel/electricity stops .... but, how many of them have even so much as a spare tire or tube repair kit, or a chain repair kit, or a spare shifter cable?

Last Edited:
Trade goods (think frontier trading post), easy to store/transport, looong shelf life, often overlooked but essential
- boxes of how-to books

Hint... how many folks do you know with a bicycle, those bikes will become essential when fuel/electricity stops .... but, how many of them have even so much as a spare tire or tube repair kit, or a chain repair kit, or a spare shifter cable?
Cards and board games

What is that old saying, "All Empires fail, but not this one, I'm pretty sure ours will last forever."

US Published National Debt
$29,165,301,806,103
The Truth
$134,090,654,762,400
Each Taxpayer's Share: $855,000

- boxes of how-to books

Cards and board games
Salt, sugar. Never goes bad (stored reasonably well). Currently obscenely inexpensive, compared with need/regional natural availability. Everyone needs it...

You beat me to it. Salt. Hundreds and hundreds of pounds of salt. For those that live on the coast, know how to make it efficiently. It was worth more than gold at a point in history. It is necessary for survival.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top