Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

When it comes to firearms, take nothing for granted.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by IronMonster, Feb 3, 2015.

1. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I had a guy come by my shop today for some help getting a stuck case out of a AR pistol upper. I won't say the manufacturer as in the end they did more than right by the guy. He ordered a pistol upper in .300BLK. He got one new in the box, with the box marked .300 BLK. He took it to the range and on the first round the gun exploded, destroying the lower and blowing the back of the case off leaving the rest fire formed in place. What they shipped him was a .223 Wylde upper. The barrel was marked but the stamp was between the gas block and receiver right under the gas tube so dang near impossible to read without removing the quad rail.

Could have been a whole lot worse as the bullet made it out the barrel, it appeared to have "cored" the round shaving off the outter jacket and just pushing the lead core through.

Anyway just remember humans make mistakes, take nothing for granted.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  2. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Not to pass judgement but had the owner inspected the bore (which should be done on ALL new guns to ensure nothing is IN the bore and it is clean) he would have no doubt noticed the obvious caliber difference. Always check the bore on new gun barrels!

3. IronMonster

I don't know that I agree. How many people off the street can pick out a .067 variance on a hole, let alone back behind a flash hider? Unless you knew what you where looking at and had the experience. Especially through a flash hider.

But anyway that is kind of my point, don't take if for granted, do some hard looking. This could have been way worse. There is a dozen things that if he would have noticed could have avoided the whole experience.

BoonDocks36, Sgt Nambu and Joe13 like this.
  4. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

If there were that much variance he could have found it just by cycling rounds to test the extractor and ejector. I can understand him assuming the MFG had the right part in the box. But that is a mass produced item and had never been touched by a gunsmith to check it.
    To quote President Reagan "Trust but verify"

5. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've never tried but based on the size and length of the 2 cases, it seems a .300blk would cycle just fine thru the gun if unfired. They fit in the same mags and use the same bolts I believe.

6. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I think you have to be more then the average "gun guy" to know the difference between a .223 and .300 sized barrels.

Hell, most guys I know couldn't accuratly approximate half an inch unfortunately.

blackadder likes this.
  7. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

True but that .30 cal brush he SHOULD have been using to clean the barrel before shooting would have been pretty tight in the .223 but hey that's me - definitely not an 'average' gun guy but a discriminating, above average one.

8. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

I always inspect new guns. In fact, I just go ahead and clean them before I shoot them for the first time. Good thing too. A few years ago I was cleaning a brand new rifle and pushed a bunch of metal shavings out of the barrel with the brush! I'm pretty sure it would have KB'd if I had shot it with that stuff in it.

9. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

If they only knew it was the same length they saw looking down down while standing at the urinal.... :rolleyes:

spookshack likes this.
  10. drewp

drewp 503pdx Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

How would a 300blk bullet go far enough into the barrel of a 223 for the bolt allow room for the hammer to come up to contact the firing pin...
    An ak47/30cal bullet and casing shoulder is in no way going to fit into a 22 chamber...sounds fishy...when I get hone tomorrow im going to test this out

d2the3 likes this.
  11. drewp

drewp 503pdx Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I ordered a 762x39mm upper long time ago...went to chamber a round amd the sucker didnt chamber. ..looked at the barrel mark and it said 6.8....those bullets are closer than 300blk to 223. ..

12. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Just don't pull the trigger! :eek:

13. blackadder

blackadder Everett Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Let us know, but 300 is cut down 556, so complete round probably only goes to the neck of a 556. I could definitely see it happening.

14. IronMonster

15. IronMonster

16. IronMonster

17. IronMonster

18. IronMonster

I dont know that its common, But it happens.

19. blackadder

blackadder Everett Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

So you're sayin there's a chance

iusmc2002, jluck and Flopsweat like this.
  20. IronMonster

I am saying I held what was left of a rifle in my hands today that fired a .300 BLK in a .223 wylde barrel. So more than a chance :)

rick benjamin and blackadder like this.