JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Because it is the Feds I think they are purposely delaying, ala the IRS blueprint with the 501c applicants. I mean seriously....how many people are trying to get these stamps ? 100s, thousands? 10s of thousands? Gun owners/ supporters are being profiled, it is painfully obvious. It's the old "red tactic" of work slow down. It would be interesting if someone who has applied for a CPL then was mugged and killed before they got it....if their family sued would any court hear the case?

Well it was either that or Mr. Shady....LOL. I went pending January 15th.

interesting, i went pending jan 30th and they told me by august 3rd, made my call just a few days ago, they probably have absolutely no clue cuz they are so overwhelmed. according to nfa tracker there are forms coming back from the 15 right now, but those times are so all over the place who knows.

For me it's pretty basic. I don't want to pay a big fine and/or spend time in a Federal "correctional facility" being some big pervert's "wife".

So, I'll have to wait because it is a federal law whether you believe it is constitutional or not.

Well, it's sad that anyone believes following unconstitutional laws are "the right thing to do". But hey, keep downing the Kool-Aid. I don't "think" it is unconstitutional, it just is by definition.

My first transfer was 90 days.
It sure didn't take long for that to quadruple now did it?

For those without calendars, it's now 2013. The internet has made everything available, and computers are faster than humans by millions of times. It's crazy that we finally get to submit our forms online as of three days ago, and it's crazy that our information that is submitted is entered by a human, and checked by a computer... Yet couldn't be checked faster.

The Federal Government knows more about me than anybody else that isn't me. Why they can't process that through a computer check system the moment I submit it, and have somebody print it out automatically is only proving that the government wants to hinder our rights to bear arms.

The transfer times are rising because of the craziness following Newtown. Think about it; all the people who jumped on the bandwagon and bought suppressors shortly after Newtown are just now having their applications come up under the previous 6-month timeline, causing a surge in the system and temporarily slowing things down. Just as ammunition and guns started to come back 6 months after Newtown, so will the wait time go back down 6 months after the Newtown-era forms are done being processed.

Should be back down to 6 months next Spring :s0155:

Making you wait... is the point. ;)

This, exactly.

Back when this whole thing started in the 1920's there was no way it cost $3,000 equivalent for the treasury to process an NFA application. The fee was there as a preventitive measure to keep citizens from having things that were restricted for military and police use (i.e., the State could have them but its citizens could not).

Now the wait time is the deliberately limiting factor, along with the paperwork hassle and the multitue of county sheriffs and CLEOs who do not cooperate in singning individual applications.

This has absolutely nothing to do with ROI or covering examiners' overhead costs. Look at the billions the US sends to foreign countries as "foreign aid" (bribes to be our friends) and ask yourself, how does this cover it's own cost?

What's more, think about the person-hours involved in five minutes' work and cost of printing for a tax stamp, which are done in runs of thousands at a time. Not in any stretch of the imagination is the BATFE paying its examiners $2,400 an hour apiece to run 12 applications each hour.

This is deliberately understaffed to make it the pain in the posterior that it is in order to discourage us from even trying or wanting to repeat the experience. And all done without even having to amend the law.

Modly makes some excellent points here. In my capacity as a professional investigator I have to be cleared through NCIC, WACIC, (Washington State crime Information Computer) and CORE government crime databases in order for clearance to enter a prison to interview prisoners.

My last application was submitted August 5th and approved August 8th, and so... approving an NFA transfer for a tube that doesn't even shoot anything takes 7-9 months? Really.

It's actually not crazy, it's deliberate.

My first transfer was 90 days.
It sure didn't take long for that to quadruple now did it?

For those without calendars, it's now 2013. The internet has made everything available, and computers are faster than humans by millions of times. It's crazy that we finally get to submit our forms online as of three days ago, and it's crazy that our information that is submitted is entered by a human, and checked by a computer... Yet couldn't be checked faster.

The Federal Government knows more about me than anybody else that isn't me. Why they can't process that through a computer check system the moment I submit it, and have somebody print it out automatically is only proving that the government wants to hinder our rights to bear arms.

I hate that it takes so long, but it is what it is. I dont think we should even have any NFA laws, but I follow the law cause its the law and the penalites are far too severe, if you dont follow the law, you will end up in prison and it will ruin your life, so what choices do you have? Just wait and wait and wait, beats prison for sure.... If you want to play in the NFA game, you need a lot of patience. If it takes a year, its like a surprise when you finally get your item, thats how I look at it to keep me sane!

How do you find out when your status went pending? I am waiting on a form 4 and my check was cashed on February 8th. The paperwork person at Curt's told me a couple of weeks ago that the waits were running 7 months from the date the check is cashed. https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/30p-1

I sold a suppressed handgun to another Oregon resident earlier this year and he waited just shy of 6 months. His paperwork came back to me rejected because the Sheriff forgot to fill out the transferee's name in the LEO box. He got that corrected and the ATF was nice enough to put him back at the top of the queue and we completed the sale two weeks later.

I have found that the people that I have spoken to at the local ATF office are helpful, polite and knowledgeable. If we are being made to endure background wait times that would be appropriate for the technological capabilities that existed 50 years ago, ie: microfiche, paper files, phone calls and snail mail, it is the fault of the political influences from above and not the local folks.

I once read that silencers were included in the NFA because it was thought at the time that this would reduce poaching. Has anyone else heard this?

Well geez why didn't I think of that. Great advice big_nut.

I just called the East coast office this week to get my status. I was quite polite but the woman seemed brusque to me.

Thinking back on my rearing in the North East corner of the country, this is just how people behave. Three word sentences and ten second phone calls are the norm. It took me several years out West to learn how not to be perceived as a jerk. If you doubt this, try smiling at a stranger in Boston or New York City.

Although I was somewhat put off by her "all business" manner, I could not put my finger on anything except an absence of the type of personal interaction we on the left coast are used to.

I am giving her the benefit of the doubt and chalking this up to regional differences.

I just called the East coast office this week to get my status. I was quite polite but the woman seemed brusque to me.

Thinking back on my rearing in the North East corner of the country, this is just how people behave. Three word sentences and ten second phone calls are the norm. It took me several years out West to learn how not to be perceived as a jerk. If you doubt this, try smiling at a stranger in Boston or New York City.

Although I was somewhat put off by her "all business" manner, I could not put my finger on anything except an absence of the type of personal interaction we on the left coast are used to.

I am giving her the benefit of the doubt and chalking this up to regional differences.

The NFA office is located in West Virginia, not exactly the NE corner of the country ;-)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top