JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So NFA wait times are rising, ATF is now saying the wait is 9 months for a form 4 or form 1, add on top of that that dealer transfers are now taking 3 months, it will take approximately a year to get a can from a manufacturer....... I am sorry but this is absolutely outrageous in this day and age when i can get a response from amazon after placing an order in less than 30 seconds, there is absolutely no reason why it should take this long when NICS can do what it does in 5 minutes. I would write my rep about it...... oh wait its Defazio..... so will surely fall on deaf ears.

/End rant!!!!

see here for more info: More Bad News On NFA Wait Times | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

Hell yeah, we really need to get on them about this.
Not to mention 99% of all NFA item applicants are squeaky effin clean to begin with!
Also CHL wait times!
3 GD months for my woman to get hers.
Just to be able to to it legally we have to jump through all these hoops and wait a ridiculous amount of time.. On top of all the "fees"!!!!

I'm conflicted about NFA wait times. On one hand, I wish they were shorter. On the other hand, I'm loathe to bring it to the attention of anyone. NFA is a small revenue stream for the government, but only because the stamps were never adjusted for inflation. They'd be something over $3k adjusted, apiece.

Sure, I want one month wait times. But do I want $3k tax stamps? Probably not.

If we all made a fuss about it, they COULD hire more examiners, yet keep the tax the same. But would they?

Sent from the ICE Arms Customer Service Cave.

I'm conflicted about NFA wait times. On one hand, I wish they were shorter. On the other hand, I'm loathe to bring it to the attention of anyone. NFA is a small revenue stream for the government, but only because the stamps were never adjusted for inflation. They'd be something over $3k adjusted, apiece.

Sure, I want one month wait times. But do I want $3k tax stamps? Probably not.

This is along the lines I was thinking.

I will gladly wait 6 or even 9 months for a $200 stamp. ;)

It was already ridiculous when it was 6 months. It's not like any "investigation" is actually conducted. So how long does it take a bureaucrat to click on a couple computer programs and lick a stamp? Longer every month it seems. Bastiges...

The problem lies with the absolutely gross misappropriation of the funds that come into the ATF via the $200 tax. the revenue collected goes into the general fund. all we would need to get 1 month wait time is to have 25% of all tax revenue generated from the NFA to go towards the hiring of more examiners. that would make the department self sufficient and as the number of applications rise so will the the revenue generated, IE the ability to hire more examiners to meet that paperwork demand, and as the wait times come down you will see the market just explode meaning MORE revenue for the .gov

this is so simple all we need is one representative to make an ammendment to one of the 2000 page monstrosities that congress passes on a near daily basis. and title it the "NFA Branch efficiency act", or the "NFA Branch self sufficiency act" or something that will make it so no democrat looks to hard into it

One would think that once you are in the system and have been approved subsequent requests would be a snap, only problem is we are talking about the Federal government! My first one took 2 months but the last one took 5 months, background checks take 10 to 15 minutes, go figure!

just got off the phone with the NFA branch, i sent in a form 4 for a suppressor in late march, form went pending on june 6, thats nearly 2 and a half months from forms arriving to pending, and they are calling for a nine month wait after the form goes pending, so the overall wait is now a full year, this will hopefully light a fire under the asses of the industry to start lobbying harder to get the agency organized, I know that the American Silencer Association has been working hard on it, but they have been about as effective as a screen door on a submarine at getting wait times down. these wait times are F****** criminal..........

I am still confused as to why anyone needs to ask permission or wait for approval for something that shall not be infringed upon.

It is very hard for me to take anything like this seriously, since "shall not be infringed" is so clear. Before we go there, no, suppressors are not OK to tax and withhold at the federal or state level, so before anyone starts with the "I'm not OK with that being sold to just anybody" BS, remember that The Constitution protects the individual from just that. Someone deciding that product A isn't good for you because they are scared of what they may do with it. Taking it upon themselves to enact illegal laws does not mean you are required to follow them. In fact, just the opposite.

I am still confused as to why anyone needs to ask permission or wait for approval for something that shall not be infringed upon.
For me it's pretty basic. I don't want to pay a big fine and/or spend time in a Federal "correctional facility" being some big pervert's "wife".

So, I'll have to wait because it is a federal law whether you believe it is constitutional or not.

For me it's pretty basic. I don't want to pay a big fine and/or spend time in a Federal "correctional facility" being some big pervert's "wife".

So, I'll have to wait because it is a federal law whether you believe it is constitutional or not.

This. I have to work within the rule of law, even if I believe the law to be wrong.

I had the same thing happen to me as Chunky Milk. I sent in my forms in March, they went pending June 22nd. Add to that a 9 month wait and you are into the zone of freaking ridiculous.

A right delayed is a right denied, and i believe that since this issue of reasonable "delay" has been addressed with NICS, that there is precedent to sue ATF for the ridiculous wait times. might come to that. paging alan gura

I agree that they should have a required response time and if they don't meet that you should be able to assemble or take possession of your NFA item until the paperwork finally does go through. Similar to what we have here for the background check delays.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top