JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, I need a second opinion.

Recently I came into possession of a 1-lb (full) can of IMR-4227 of unknown vintage. The can has a little bit of rust on the top corner, but the rest of the can is intact. I sniffed the powder and it has a slight smell of powder, but no moldy smell.

When I poured it into my powder measure, I noticed a medium brown powdery cloud wafting out of the powder measure canister. That made me suspicious so I poured it back into the can.

I've gotten some advice from a co-worker, but am looking for a second opinion before making a decision. Can powder separate as it gets older? What advice do you have for further use?

I've attached a few pics. Notice the brown "dust" on the side of the plastic container.
IMG_20200324_134659373.jpg IMG_20200324_134708781.jpg IMG_20200324_134806102.jpg

Save it, but not for reloading. Old powder used to reload can have a funky smell to it when burned. There are plenty of uses it could still be applied to. I'll let you figure it out.
:s0155:

The "throw it out" statement was figurative. I was told that smokeless powder can become more potent when it breaks down. Another friend shared about a family event where they were sitting around the fire pit telling scary stories. He was able to surreptitiously fling some powder into the fire at the perfect moment and scared everyone.

With appropriate safety measures in place, THAT is great use for this powder!

How much is your firearm worth? How about a hand? What about an eye?
Sometimes it's not the risk, it's what is at stake!
For the price of a pound of powder vs the risk, I would not reload ammo with it.

I use Universal, stored in the 8# plastic jug, that has that same rust. It's the powder stabilizer breaking down.
I use mine for cheap 308 loads (110gr slug at 1600FPS) that are a hoot to shoot. I don't see any performance difference between that and Unique, but they are both bunny-fart loads.

Considering you're prolly going to shoot it through a nice revolver, I'd turn it into pyrotechnics instead, or have other fun.
For example, I used old powder to show my kids the concept of flame speed propagation.

Here's a good post on Highroad about that very issue.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top