JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I stand by my comments. You were insulting, wrong (the election wasn't stolen) and ineffective. People aren't convinced by other people yelling at them about doing it wrong. They are convinced by calm, measured arguments that encourages them to consider the issues from multiple viewpoints.

This is a discussion about primers, not politics. If you want politics I'll shatter your reality and make you need a safe space with your bought, paid for hack cheater of a "president".

Stay on topic. Primers. Primers. Primers.

It's one thing to have low stock and snag some, but another thing entirely to be like a womb and death, screaming MORE, MORE, MORE!!!

I get it, not everyone has a thousand or two of their favorite flavors.
I spoke with somebody buying some reloading equipment from me and he was floored that I wasn't charging 7x what others were. At the end of the day, I'm going to make sure I can look somebody in the eye down the road and still shake their hand.

Unfortunately for many of us 1-2k of primers can be anywhere from a day's worth of shooting to a few weeks of shooting. I'm about 2000rnds in for 45ACP loading this week. That's a little under 2 minutes of actual trigger time in what it's loaded for and I'd have to load a few less than all of myags for it twice to load all of the 45 I've loaded in the last week. 100rnds here, 200 there between dinner, chores and sleep after work.

I easily run 1k of 5.45 every month or two as well. Projectiles for that are a little harder to get so I run laqured steel for that. Due to my shooting habits I grab primers almost every time I see them on the shelf for an acceptable price. Same for bullets and my favorite powders.

Many folks may never need for than a box of primers for rifle if they just load for their hunting rifle. The stuff people would want to mas produce used to be fairly cheap to buy loaded!

Thank you for not charging folks out the nose for components. I've met a few discouraged new gun owners or new reloaders that regret their entry I to the hobby due to the price gouging and otherwise crazy money people want to ammo and components right now. We need these folks for a stronger future in the hobby.

This is a discussion about primers, not politics. If you want politics I'll shatter your reality and make you need a safe space with your bought, paid for hack cheater of a "president".

Stay on topic. Primers. Primers. Primers.

I didn't bring politics into, the other poster did. Your response is no better though since you've made false assumptions about me.

Might I suggest that now is not a good time to be making enemies of your allies?

I didn't bring politics into, the other poster did. Your response is no better though since you've made false assumptions about me.

Might I suggest that now is not a good time to be making enemies of your allies?

After being on this site for a bit I've come to realize gun owners are gun owners worse enemies. Half the threads on here sound like my kids bickering.

After being on this site for a bit I've come to realize gun owners are gun owners worse enemies. Half the threads on here sound like my kids bickering.
Go try some AKFikes. Makes this place look like it's full of saints.

This place is very, very mellow.

Everyone around me is flipping primers. Heard through the grapevine that one local guy bought some 50-100k of primers and is slowly feeding them into one of the area auctions while trying to not "flood" the market. I can understand why he is doing it but it still pisses me off a bit. I asked a friend to get word back to him that he would have everything sold to reloaders, not flippers, if he wants to sell them through our mutual friend at a reasonable price. I know about what he paid and he would make money on them by selling at $35/1000. This person has even paid $45/1000 from our mutual friend just to flip them into the auction. He bought primers from someone who reloads and cannot afford to replace them at today's prices just to flip them and make a few bucks. Pisses me off.

It may have been mentioned, but anew video was released by the president of federal ammo in which he plainly stated that the primer shortage will last until the ammo supply catches up to demand, or the demand slows.

It may have been mentioned, but anew video was released by the president of federal ammo in which he plainly stated that the primer shortage will last until the ammo supply catches up to demand, or the demand slows.
This right here. Its not just primers. I dont think the vast majority of people truly understand what is happening and are HOPING that prices will come down or stock will be replenished. In that same video referenced above, he also said that if they stopped taking new orders that day, they are over 1 billion dollars in orders behind....this scarcity will last years and prices are only going to continue to increase.

Local PD departments cant even fill orders to train. Know who has plenty though? The Feds. I work with them. More legislation will be passed, and demand for ammo will further increase. 5.56 will be $2/round by the end of the year. Thats my prediction anyway.

If you dont have a small stockpile yet, i would highly suggest sucking it up and buying some now. Its only gonna get more expensive, and eventually it will get to the point that people wont even be willing to sell some of their stash.

This right here. Its not just primers. I dont think the vast majority of people truly understand what is happening and are HOPING that prices will come down or stock will be replenished. In that same video referenced above, he also said that if they stopped taking new orders that day, they are over 1 billion dollars in orders behind....this scarcity will last years and prices are only going to continue to increase.

I agree with these comments... Lots of people here seem to think the primer shortage is caused by their neighbor buying too many cases of primers at Bi-Mart or Cabellas. The retail stores only receive a small amount compared to when supply was abundant.

Local PD departments cant even fill orders to train. Know who has plenty though? The Feds. I work with them. More legislation will be passed, and demand for ammo will further increase. 5.56 will be $2/round by the end of the year. Thats my prediction anyway.

If you dont have a small stockpile yet, i would highly suggest sucking it up and buying some now. Its only gonna get more expensive, and eventually it will get to the point that people wont even be willing to sell some of their stash.
He did also state that he was not prioritizing government sales over civilian. Maybe not those words exactly. It's been a few days since I've watched it.
Edit: new video, released 01/21/2021

I agree with these comments... Lots of people here seem to think the primer shortage is caused by their neighbor buying too many cases of primers at Bi-Mart or Cabellas. The retail stores only receive a small amount compared to when supply was abundant.
I was talking to one of the guys at Sportsman's on 82nd today and he said they received 80 bricks on the last shipment. He indicated that was an anomaly but regardless they sold out very quickly. He also said that they are required (store policy?) to open each brick and tape the sleeves closed prior to putting them on the shelves. I have bought federal primers there before that were not taped so I am not sure he was 100% correct on that issue. Regardless the demand is high and will be for some time. If I was a primer manufacture right now, I would jack the prices up which should help slow the flipping action down a little. Maybe then they could invest in expanding output.

They might be 1 billion behind in orders right now, but l have to think that most distributors have placed big back orders with all manufacturers they buy from hoping they'll get something from somewhere. Sooner or later they will start getting more than what they can handle and will start pushing out or canceling orders.

At some point in 2021 we'll see this in the ammo/reloading world. These things are cyclical.

TP-overstock.jpg

At some point in 2021 we'll see this in the ammo/reloading world. These things are cyclical.

View attachment 813736
The difference is the length of the cycle. Remember the 22lr shortage lasted for quite a long time. People can only store so much tp, and secondary sales opportunities of tp were limited. Primers are much easier to find room for and more easily sold in secondary markets.

The difference is the length of the cycle. Remember the 22lr shortage lasted for quite a long time. People can only store so much tp, and secondary sales opportunities of tp were limited. Primers are much easier to find room for and more easily sold in secondary markets.

Wanna bet on it? ;)

I remember the .22lr cycle well. But, all other ammo didn't depend on it to work, as with primers. So the incentive to meet demand is greater. My belief is the market will respond and panic/speculative buying will ease as everyone starts getting more than they need.

Wanna bet on it? ;)

I remember the .22lr cycle well. But, all other ammo didn't depend on it to work, as with primers. So the incentive to meet demand is greater. My belief is the market will respond and panic/speculative buying will ease as everyone starts getting more than they need.
Hope you are right. tp supplies normalized with in a couple of months. Primer shortage has already exceeded that time frame by three fold and I don't see it ending anytime soon. The day I see primers sitting on the shelf for a week or more with out a buyer and we start seeing primers going on sale again, is when I will feel like things have normalized.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top