JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At this point in life (I'm 68 and retired), I rarely drink outside the home. My alcohol consumption dropped precipitously when my first child was born, and both our children are independent adults now. I do have a CCW, and carry discreetly where permitted.
I have not had to draw a sidearm in 27 years (home intrusion) but I try to remain relatively alert to my surroundings. I enjoy a drink in good company around the dinner table, since it often fuels conversation, but if it's a distinct possibility that I will have to drive, I don't drink. If I'm traveling, I dine wherever it's convenient to do so and the menu items don't qualify as toxic waste, but I don't drink unless I'm in my hotel room, staying overnight at the home of a friend or at home.
Briefly, if I am carrying or driving, I don't drink. You may be certain it will become an issue in a court of law, even if it doesn't legally reach the level of impairment, should circumstances develop badly. I want to remain sharp and responsive to the best of my ability. Yes, I am usually the designated driver. I'm fine with that. I will not bore this forum with my reasoning. My choices are made.

Just thinking, I do not drive after a drop of alcohol. I believe that carrying concealed or not. It is just as important.
Weather if your angry or impaired in any way, The responsibility is huge. So when do you disarm? Me, I carry pepper spray after a coupla of brews and just stay home.
Be well.
I'm with you. If I am vising the local watering hole, I leave my c-carry in the safe and then pull out the pepper spray. I just need to remain sober enough to remember that unwarranted use of pepper is STILL a possible felony.
I must be getting old: I prefer drinking at home more and more. Too many loud yahoos in the bars these day. Quietly drinking scotch while listening to The Chairman of the board (if you need to ask, you don't know) is a pretty cool way to unwind.

I'm a grown up I do not drink enough to worry about disarming. Nor do I carry all the time. I don't drive if I have had more then two drinks. I weigh 270 and have a CDL (only allowed .04% even in my own car) so its not a problem. I do understand there are many people who 2 drinks is two drinks to many and for them I mention an old but applicable bumper sticker.

Reality is for people who can't handle Drugs

I would add that is all drugs even religion

IMHO

I must be getting old: I prefer drinking at home more and more. Too many loud yahoos in the bars these day. Quietly drinking scotch while listening to The Chairman of the board (if you need to ask, you don't know) is a pretty cool way to unwind.

Its not getting old. I'm 37 and I think the same way. Now I'm not sure what The Chairman of the board is but as far not hitting the bars/clubs any more I am right there with you.

I seldom drink to the point of significant impairment.[...]
Being a responsible person, the chances of my doing something foolish after a drink while armed are even more remote. [...]
If I were one who drinks to the point of having any substantial impairment, I.would choose differently

There is a distinction here between "a drink" and "significant impairment."

With that said, anyone with a CHL in Oregon can walk into a bar, order a drink with no one the wiser, drink, and leave. I'm sure this is happening even now. ;)

The only thing I've ever seen killed while drinking was my buzz or someone else's.

To be clear I do not support mixing guns and alcohol, the alcohol just spills right out the bottom of the barrel. Forgive my joke

But even a drunk has 2nd amendment rites and and the rite to defend himself and/or others. Unless you live back east, then it becomes more dicey. Not sure about CA, but I'm good to go in OR, WA and ID.

I just do not disarm and if I am required to I don't need to be there.
I doubt anyone could even get a buzz on the amount of alcohol I have drank in the past ten years.
As for the rest of those places mentioned. I seldom ever, and by that mean never disarm to do things I need to do. PERIOD. :)
I have carried for 47 years since age 21 when the permits were paper and gun specific.
I just viewed concealed as concealed, and it has never been an issue anywhere I went.
I do not fly so airports be damned :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads