JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I find there's a 'diminishing return' return factor to take into account with scopes.

Does your life depend on it?

How often will you use it?

Me, I find Vortex excellent - no not Nightforce or Trijicon excellent, but well beyond 'el cheapo' scopes.

Plenty good enough for me and I can afford better, but the dollar increase doesn't exceed the benefit when comparing this brand scope to more expensive ones...

Overall I have not found a more expensive scope that made my group sizes smaller or make me shoot better. I do think more power helps...at least it does me. For me to shoot small I have to aim small.

I decided to step up to higher end optics when 1) I had a rifle capable of shooting small groups and 2) when I could afford one. If you don't have a rifle capable of small groups I think a person is wasting their money. And to spend a lot of money on a great scope and then not seeing any improvements could really be a disappointment.

The first rifle I had that would shoot small groups was a custom 6mmBR, capable of consistent 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. The first scope on it was a 5-20x Nikon Monarch I paid $400. Next up it got a 36X Weaver picked up used for $300. No change in group size. After that I bought my first "high" end scope for me, a 8-32X SIII Sightron for about $700. Group size improved marginally, but wow, so much clearer than the Weaver. Was a pleasure to shoot that scope compared to the Weaver. Smallest 5 group agg I ever shot was with the Sightron. It now wears a 10-50X SIII Sightron ($900) and again group size pretty similar as before.

I have a few other rifles similar to the 6mmBR, and one has a Nightforce Competition 15-55X scope ($2300) and the other has a Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60X ($1500) scope. Neither of them shoot better now than they did with the previous scopes, that included a Sightron SIII, Nikon Monarch and Sightron SII. The NF and Vortex are excellent scopes and the Nightforce is the clearest scope I've ever used. But I just don't think they improved my groups that much. On the other hand I have no regrets spending the money since I appreciate quality.

I find all scopes these days have pretty good glass. I still use the Nikon Monarchs all the time and while the Nightforce is clearer, I don't feel hindered by the Nikons while at the range. One place I do appreciate the difference though are the days I hunt sage rats. The more expensive scopes are easier to look though all day and I don't seem to have some much eye fatigue.

My eyes are not great any more, so while I do think a high end hunting scope will provide a minute or two more shooting light at the start and end of the day, I have not been able to notice it.

I shoot at Tri County and hear guys talk about doing things to improve group size all the time, with scopes being one of them. Yet not a single one of them bother to put out any sort of wind indicators. I can cut my group sizes by probably 40% with any scope just by putting some surveyor tape on dowels and putting 3 or 4 of them between me and the targets. A 5mph shift in wind from left to right isn't really noticeable at the bench without wind indicators, but that change can increase group size by 1/2 inch.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top