JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh, you wanna see tactica**holery? Get a load of what I was blasted with here after a case where I requested advice, got none, came back and posted my own research so others in my position could benefit:
Optic suggestions for an AR pistol with CASV?
Looks like the mod removed the holery... but some genius posted this pic... looks like he got ahold of some of those new primer point bullets. why didn't I think of that?

4ED6E272-D081-4A45-ABC0-E4521CB0B02B-182-0000009D8F3E7A1B_tmp.jpg

View attachment 382543
Anything beyond this....:D Just kidding!

Once you add enough of extras to your gun and the gun no longer can be seen as a gun , but only as a place to store gadgets ... Then you have gone too far.

I think that many "tacticool" types use a gadget instead of learning and practicing a skill.
Get a basic pistol , rifle or shotgun .... learn how to use it as issued ... develop the skill to use it , then think really hard about your use and need ... then think about what "upgrades" you need versus what the guy on TV , the gun store or internet says you need.
Andy
I'm sure you can but I'm going to ask any way Andy can you reload that thing in the dark lol

Here's where i'm at on the subject of too tacticool. The long version with pictures.
I see nothing wrong with putting enhancements on your guns to make them your own. Like painting, putting nice wheels, tinting windows, and a nice sound system in your daily driver. Like Honda Civics... Some guns 10/22s and AR15s in particular are so modular and customizable, why not play with them a little bit...

But like a car that's been lifted/lowered or suped up to the point that it's unreliable, uncomfortable, and hard and unsafe to drive.. there is a line.. Build a hot rod, or tacticool gun(or 3-4) but keep that one in the garage/safe for play time.... just as long as you already have, and train with a sensible carbine.. keep it at a manageable weight, and never put anything on it that will negate reliabillity, or throw off your muscle memory in any way.

On my "daily driver"... An Anderson based carbine I originally built for around $400... I have a 15" keymod rail, a light, a foldable forgrip that holds extra batteries, a spark AR with BUIS L1/3 co-wittness, and lots of little add ons that while ergonomic, mostly just make it look better (IMO). It weighs a manageable 8 1/2 pounds, and its 100% reliable. It's the one I'd grab in a SHTF situation. It might be a little tacticool for some people's taste, but it makes me happy. IMG_2645.JPG IMG_2681.JPG

Then there's my always evolving money pit Mega SPR build. Eventually Its on its way to being a close cousin to the MK12 somewhere between a mod 0 & mod 1. The barrel(BA made it specifically for MK12/SPR builds), receivers, and POF trigger have and will stay the same. It is an absolute TAC DRIVER... Many would be happy with it as is, but the hand rail and butstock are both temporary because the ones I want are quite tacticool, and thus $$$$. And the Optic I want... forget about it. It's a bench use long range gun so i'm not concerned about weight, or wether or not it's shiny, so It will be Cerakoted in the future. And yes I spent $40 on Titanium takedown pins, and hundreds more on "unnecessary" enhancements, that have come and gone... so many that I built most of a BO pistol out of things I tried here but didn't like.
They were perfect for the ("hotrod")pistol though. IMG_2155.JPG

In fact I just picked up a box full of parts a couple weeks ago from a NWFA member... some of which will end up on my SPR, or traded for parts that will. It's a desease. IMG_2712.JPG IMG_2778.JPG

How tactical is too Tacticool? It's relative. Depends entirely on the application. I go by Philosophy of use, and 1st kind of cool Vs. 2nd kind of cool... coined by Nutnfancy on youtube... Love him or hate him, he has a good outline that he uses for reviewing gear. 1st cool is its cool because it works, and second cool is completely superficial, but it turns you on. If classic bare bones makes you happy... great. If Neon fidget spinners make you happy.. Go for it. I say only God can judge. If you judge others for what they do or do not put on thier guns(or cars), You're either a tactical elitist, or an over judgemental minimalist. the latter is forgivable, but still.. Shame on you;)

Here's where i'm at on the subject of too tacticool. The long version with pictures.
I see nothing wrong with putting enhancements on your guns to make them your own. Like painting, putting nice wheels, tinting windows, and a nice sound system in your daily driver. Like Honda Civics... Some guns 10/22s and AR15s in particular are so modular and customizable, why not play with them a little bit...

But like a car that's been lifted/lowered or suped up to the point that it's unreliable, uncomfortable, and hard and unsafe to drive.. there is a line.. Build a hot rod, or tacticool gun(or 3-4) but keep that one in the garage/safe for play time.... just as long as you already have, and train with a sensible carbine.. keep it at a manageable weight, and never put anything on it that will negate reliabillity, or throw off your muscle memory in any way.

On my "daily driver"... An Anderson based carbine I originally built for around $400... I have a 15" keymod rail, a light, a foldable forgrip that holds extra batteries, a spark AR with BUIS L1/3 co-wittness, and lots of little add ons that while ergonomic, mostly just make it look better (IMO). It weighs a manageable 8 1/2 pounds, and its 100% reliable. It's the one I'd grab in a SHTF situation. It might be a little tacticool for some people's taste, but it makes me happy.View attachment 383080 View attachment 383081

Then there's my always evolving money pit Mega SPR build. Eventually Its on its way to being a close cousin to the MK12 somewhere between a mod 0 & mod 1. The barrel(BA made it specifically for MK12/SPR builds), receivers, and POF trigger have and will stay the same. It is an absolute TAC DRIVER... Many would be happy with it as is, but the hand rail and butstock are both temporary because the ones I want are quite tacticool, and thus $$$$. And the Optic I want... forget about it. It's a bench use long range gun so i'm not concerned about weight, or wether or not it's shiny, so It will be Cerakoted in the future. And yes I spent $40 on Titanium takedown pins, and hundreds more on "unnecessary" enhancements, that have come and gone... so many that I built most of a BO pistol out of things I tried here but didn't like.
They were perfect for the ("hotrod")pistol though.View attachment 383091

In fact I just picked up a box full of parts a couple weeks ago from a NWFA member... some of which will end up on my SPR, or traded for parts that will. It's a desease. View attachment 383084 View attachment 383085

How tactical is too Tacticool? It's relative. Depends entirely on the application. I go by Philosophy of use, and 1st kind of cool Vs. 2nd kind of cool... coined by Nutnfancy on youtube... Love him or hate him, he has a good outline that he uses for reviewing gear. 1st cool is its cool because it works, and second cool is completely superficial, but it turns you on. If classic bare bones makes you happy... great. If Neon fidget spinners make you happy.. Go for it. I say only God can judge. If you judge others for what they do or do not put on thier guns(or cars), You're either a tactical elitist, or an over judgemental minimalist. the latter is forgivable, but still.. Shame on you;)
Well I got carried away at first but guess what I so much junk on my gun I couldn't hold it up and keep it on target lol .and in my younger years I had all the stuff you mentioned on my cars LOL TILL ONE GOT STOLEN guess what your insurance doesn't pay for all that extra stuff just blue book value mmmmmm to quote someone somewhere said KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID LOL

Current/planned roster of Serious Work Irons and "tacticool features":
--Old Ugly (1911): GI-style stub safety, flared ejection port, extended slide stop (not my choice, I prefer full-on WWII GI-spec but it came from its builder this way). ESS not my preference but it served me well through a time when two lives depended on it, so IIABDFWI.
--TPMC (16" midlength AR carbine): Full-length free-float Keymod handguard with cover-panels, Diamondhead BUIS's, Bushnell TRS25 on Leapers UTG riser (the Bushnell is a "starter optic" to be replaced when budget allows), FAB T-Pod foregrip/light/bipod, FAB GL-MAG mag-carrier stock, FAB MBA recoil-pad with retractable rear leg. Lightweight support built in for prone or bench shooting, plus rear leg adds balancing weight. Mag-carrier stock also contributes to balance plus gives me a discreet ace up my sleeve with 10-rounder, or I can rack in any other AR mag to have a ready-spare. Similarly, planning to install a side-rail plus mag-carrier alongside barrel for a boost on that first reload. Badger Ordnance Tac Latch on CH--I'm a southpaw, and the hole in the middle of that big ring-latch is just right for hooking with the pad of my right index finger--I have actually cycled the bolt with just that ONE FINGER. KNS anti-walk pins just for peace-of-mind. Yankee Hill EZ-Pull TD pins for easier knockdown and reassembly.
--Gremlin (pistolized, bastardized Mk 18 CQBR): Mk 18 Mod 1 shorter barrel for lower OAL, Mod 0 FSB for reduced moving-parts. Vltor CASV-EL for recoil-taming overall and front weight. Lightweight polymer lower to offset weight of CASV. KNS anti-walk pins to reinforce lower in FCG-pin area. Strike Industries lightweight extended TD pins for easy takedown but less snag potential than YHM's. Precision AFAB plus Indian Creek BFD to provide suppressor-style backpressure on gas-port and tame muzzle blast/flash. FAB PTK angled foregrip, as much for "break up gun outline" as ergonomics. FAB VTS thumbrest/handstop... came with the PTK, bag room is gonna decide whether it gets used as a handstop or a thumbrest, if at all. CAA sight-mounted rails on FSB for lights, and MPS mag carrier with PMag-30 or -40 on left side for "ready reload" and "outline breakup." LAW sidefolder for reduced stowed OAL and outline breakup; Shockwave Blade for elbow brace and outline breakup when folded. Diamondhead rear BUIS to accomodate my f***ed-up eyes. Two lights, one red for me to see and navigate by, the other a white "dazzler" for positive target identification and blinding. Toolcraft nitrided (other than coating, military-grade) BCG.

If it's on there with a specific purpose and you know how to use it, it's not "Mall Ninja Tacti-Cool Tomfoolery," I'd argue. :)

Last Edited:
That's what I need to start investing in is reload stuff even if it's just the basics one round at a time stuff THANKS FOR REMINDING ME
you might not be thanking me once you realize your plan to save money by reloading, just turned into another giant hole in your wallet. ;)
One round at a time is all i've ever done... I'd rather get more projectiles, than shell out for a progressive set up. If you need advice on what to get, hit me up. I can get you on the right path.
Its definitely a worthwhile and rewarding hobbie. And if SHTF, we hit another shortage, or the ptb try to implement an ammo registration like California.. Its a good to have a bunch of Powder, Primers, and Projectiles ready to load.

I recommend using this calculator to see for yourself if loading is worth it compaired to buying factory ammo...

Handloading Cost Calculator

It also helps decide on what components to buy.

you might not be thanking me once you realize your plan to save money by reloading, just turned into another giant hole in your wallet. ;)
One round at a time is all i've ever done... I'd rather get more projectiles, than shell out for a progressive set up. If you need advice on what to get, hit me up. I can get you on the right path.
Its definitely a worthwhile and rewarding hobbie. And if SHTF, we hit another shortage, or the ptb try to implement an ammo registration like California.. Its a good to have a bunch of Powder, Primers, and Projectiles ready to load.

I recommend using this calculator to see for yourself if loading is worth it compaired to buying factory ammo...

Handloading Cost Calculator

It also helps decide on what components to buy.
I know I have friends that reload they say it doesn't really save them money but to reload when you can't go to the store and buy might come in handy one day mmmmm

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top