JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And how do I know until they pull out the torch? They don't belong on my land and I should be able to send them packing at gunpoint. Seems to work OK in Texas

A nice retention holster and handgun works fine. If you are only going to carry it on your own land a big old 6" or 8" Colt 45, even in a holster, should be intimidating enough, and still be withing the law (my colt is a 6", with a leather Ross hunting holster). Not very comfortable in a car, but works great on a horse.

A nice retention holster and handgun works fine. If you are only going to carry it on your own land a big old 6" or 8" Colt 45, even in a holster, should be intimidating enough, and still be withing the law (my colt is a 6", with a leather Ross hunting holster). Not very comfortable in a car, but works great on a horse.

A handgun is a way to fight my way back to my long gun.. I would never use one as a primary unless there was no other option.. I always tote one of my mini 14s and reloads when out there. I wear a 40 BHP or .45 ACP 1911 as a backup

Kurt Kirby was charged (and convicted) in Vancouver for "disturbing the peace" not "brandishing". The Vancouver cops kept his 1911, magazines and ammo. My daughter works in the tanning salon next door to the martial arts studio whence the 911 call came from. She is acquainted with him & his family, and says that they are "nice folks". She wasn't working there when the incident went down.

Vancouver doesn't like anyone to have guns. Clark County has a "no guns in county buildings" which no one has challenged, so it's still on the books.

Kurt Kirby was charged (and convicted) in Vancouver for "disturbing the peace" not "brandishing". The Vancouver cops kept his 1911, magazines and ammo. My daughter works in the tanning salon next door to the martial arts studio whence the 911 call came from. She is acquainted with him & his family, and says that they are "nice folks". She wasn't working there when the incident went down.

Vancouver doesn't like anyone to have guns. Clark County has a "no guns in county buildings" which no one has challenged, so it's still on the books.

Cite please? Per an article in the Columbian:
"The Vancouver man accused of openly carrying a gun in a way that witnesses said warranted alarm received a one-year diversion agreement from Clark County District Court Judge Darvin Zimmerman.

If he doesn't break the law, pays a $485 fine and takes a one-time gun safety course in the next year, the charge of unlawfully carrying a weapon will be dismissed with prejudice, meaning it cannot be refiled, assistant city attorney Darren DeFrance said. In other words, the charge will be erased."

Kirby was carrying an XD, not a 1911...

Apologies: I was trying to follow this case while overseas, and haven't looked up anything about it recently. And I think that I assumed a 1911 because the original story stated ".45" but didn't include a type.
I just tried to find some court documents or something at the Clark County and Vancouver websites: No dice. If anyone can find court documents, (charges, judges orders) it would settle some arguments.
I did find several articles in the Columbian, in which it appears that Kirby gave in to the prosecutor after another open-carry case was decided adversely for the defendant. <broken link removed>

Washington Supreme Court has twice determined that "merely being armed does not amount to menacing", but it seems that Vancouver/Clark County didn't get the memo. Until someone has the courage to fight one of these through to the Supreme Court (state-level would work), Vancouver will continue to pull this crap.
Also, we need a law in Washington, like they just passed in Florida, where local officials get punished for doing things unconstitutional.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top