JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We lost a 10+y family member a few months back and are starting to consider another dog. OMG - $600-$1000+ to get a dog. OHS want's $500 to adopt. CL 're-homing' fees are $200-$300 assuming they are not a breeder.

We don't want a show dog. We're not even all that particular about a specific breed. We just want a pet that we can enjoy, run off the neighborhood pests and let us know when someone's at the front door.

I had no idea you had to be rich to get a dog anymore.

/rant

For reputable breeders, regardless of "show quality" or not, there's a lot that goes in cost-wise to those pups. To name a few items that need to be considered when establishing a sale price...
Stud fee
Pre-natal care for the bubblegum while she's pregnant
Food costs for the bubblegum and, later, the pups
Vaccines and any other health clearances for the bubblegum and, later, the pups
Paperwork costs if they're registered with a national kennel club (regardless of "pet" or "show" quality)
The cost of time off of work for the owner during the first couple of weeks of the puppies' lives to ensure they're healthy and no issues with pups and mom.

People who think breeders make a lot of money off breeding dogs are sadly mistaken. If we ever even broke even on our few litters, I'd be amazed. Those that do make money off it are, a lot of times (I won't say all since there's always exceptions), cutting corners somewhere to stay profitable.

Even places like the humane society, where they're mixed breeds, re-homes, etc, have expenses that they try to at least partially cover.

Finally, there's something to be said for putting a price tag on the animal. If it was cheap/free to get, people are less likely to take proper care of it. If it's more expensive, you may think more about better care to protect your investment. Regardless of the initial cost, you're going to be spending a heck of a lot more than that over the pet's life.

EDIT: Sorry, just one of my "trigger" subjects over the years.

Last Edited:
I don't begrudge reputable breeders. If I wanted a purebred or something specific - would seek one out and be willing to shell out the coin to 'do it right'.

I'm talking about 'the good old days' of going down to the shelter to rescue an unwanted dog that has a few week shelf life before it gets put down.

I also understand the 'something for nothing' but after I adopt, I have to take it to the vet to get checked out ($$$), vaccines and registration ($$$), supplies ($$$) and who knows what else. Getting priced out of a rescue when we can provide a good home is frustrating.

Keep your ears open and you should be able to find someone whose dog got knocked up and they are desperate to unload some pups. Also mixes are less likely to develop some of the hip/knee problems a lot of pure bred dogs are plagued with.

20171201_120147(0).jpg
The old man on the left is a lab/border collie and was $200. The pup on the right is a lab/husky and was $150.

My wife has found us 2 dogs on facebook pet pages targeted to our area and eastern side of the state. If you dont mind a drive or high energy dog, you can get cattle dog breeds on the east side for cheap! We got Dally 2 years ago in Baker for $50 and shes been an awesome dog. If you have a facebook, I can ask my wife the name of those pages and let you know if you're interested. Shes found dogs for 2 friends and my Sister and her husband as well.

Found Hunter (lab) on there too, but he was closer to $500. Dally is a border collie/mini aussie mix

LBJF7588.JPG

$2000.00 8-weeks and only because he was 'defective' in that he had white tips on his feet.
His siblings would typically go 5-10x that price

ren110204lg.jpg ren.jpg

Kimber,

Try the dog pound in Vancouver. I
Last I checked it was $65 but may be a little higher if you want to adopt.

Otherwise, I found 2 of my best dogs in CL.

Yea, I know it's a dirty word but keep an eye out for unpapered dogs and you will find some better deals (mutts usually do not have the normal 'medical issues' of pure bread dogs).

Best of luck in your hunt.

Side note: you should have an idea of the amount of attention you can give the dog - somebreads are very high maintenance and others not as much. I.e. A Doberman or other working dog will need a tremendous amount of stucture, discipline and attention.

Our "Adopted" Golden Retriever cost my parents over $1400 as a pup with all the papers and trimmings, and this was 16 years ago! Our Neufy cost $2000 from one of the oldest breeding lines in North America, and he was one of the best investments ever! The price of a 4 legged fur kid is nothing compared to the companionship we both get! Besides, dogs are way cheaper then kids:oops:

Most reputable dog rescues do not charge an adoption fee. You can make a tax deductible donation but they should not be requiring an adoption fee. Almost every breed has a reputable rescue looking for homes for great dogs that often were purchased as cute puppies and folks find out there is care involve.

Wife runs a non-profit Beagle rescue, it's a labor of love, and we find homes for many Beagles and Beagle mixes. No high priced Euro's here, just sweet companions looking for their forever home.

IMG_0136.JPG IMG_0126.JPG

My first was free. We bought the little one off craigslist for 100.

I agree with those above, find someone looking to give pups away for free. Likely those dogs are in more need of an owner than a dog sold for a significant sum of money.

0543270E-3015-4774-B518-7031E2BDC3F6.jpeg

The 2 I use as my avatar were both around $400 but that was 10 and 12 years ago. We did not want papers since no intent to breed. Looks like I will be lucky to find a couple more for less than twice that this time around. Just spent $700 on the youngest ones teeth a little while ago. As they get older they do often get expensive.

First thing your post made me think is The Humane Society up on Columbia might give you a deal on a middle aged pit bull? They had like 8 of them last time we were in there. Multco animal control out in Troutdale had a bunch too. :rolleyes:

It sounds like you take really good care of your dogs. Call your vet and tell them you're wanting a new one. If they get word of a dog needing a new home, they can call you and see if you're interested in it.

Dogs have become the biological equivalent of the 'bitcoin' market.
I would "guess" a lot of this is supply and demand. While ago when I started looking for a breeder for future use, our dogs are getting old, I was finding a LOT changed. It used to be common to see dogs for sale and free in a lot of places. Now I see a lot of places that either say no ads like this or they severely limit them. Too much publicity about "backyard breeders and puppy mills.". I'm sure there are still a lot of dogs out there, just harder to find them now. When we bought our dogs it was still common and easy to find people like the ones we bought ours from. People who had a couple dogs and let them have puppies now and then and basically just wanted homes for them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top