Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

When did a used Ruger 10/22....

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by mikeybuck, Oct 19, 2014.

1. mikeybuck

mikeybuck Clark county Active Member

Be worth 300-350 for a run of the mill 10/22?
    I can buy one brand new for 200-229 all day long but I see them listed all the time in the 300 dollar range....????

What am I missing???

2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'm guessing people may be valuing the older metal and wood models higher?

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  3. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Things like a Timney drop in trigger assembly can add a couple hundred to its value. I know that one, as I bought one for mine. A scope maybe, or special stock ? People can put a K into accessories for them????????

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  4. Mr. Ben

Mr. Ben Snohomish Co. Active Member

It's only worth what you are willing to pay for it.

5. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

New 10/22's come with only 1 mag and no optics. The older 10/22 with a metal trigger assembly, multiple mags, and a 3x9 scope would be valued higher. Really depends on the gun and accessories.

6. U201491

Or what the seller/owner values it at. Works both ways.
    Depends on how bad a buyer wants t0 buy it and how bad a seller wants to sell it .

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  7. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I just paid $250 for a pretty basic 10/22

It had three new 25 rd mags and had all the metal bits. I went and looked at a new one $219 + tax = $240 with plastic parts and a ten rd mag.

It was not a deal, but it was easy, they guy brought the gun to me to buy and I think its a better unit than a new one.

My thought is the days of $100 10/22's are long gone and I would rather have a good old one than a new one at the same price

8. mikeybuck

mikeybuck Clark county Active Member

Idk, I just remember every Christmas they going on sale at bi Mart for $120, now I see them for over $200 new. I still don't think they are worth that much.

Bet my pre warning 10/22 gotta be worth a pretty penny then Lol....

9. U201491

If you really look at the 10/22, it is really worth about twice what they sell for. No Other 22 has the adaptability, reliability and number of accessories available as the 10/22. Hard to really admit, but they are worth what ever you have to pay for them. High or low, they are just plain good.
    Easy to work on, easy to get parts for. I have dumped 200 just for the Timney trigger and think the gun is worth every penny of that added investment.

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  10. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

The reality is if you look at what one costs today VS what they used to they are a bargain.

In 1964 a new one would set you back $50 roughly. In 64 you could still get a silver dollar that was 90% silver. (.715 oz to the dollar) So if you looked at what the silver is worth today, even at half of what it was a few years ago its still $600

If you just use the government inflation numbers the 1964 rifle is $480 in today's money

BoonDocks36 and U201491 like this.
  11. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

less than 2 months ago I caught hell here because some one wanted $6oo for a used package CF rifle that MSRP'd
    @$347
    buyer beware

BoonDocks36 and Nick Burkhardt like this.
  12. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I would agree with the OP, if it applies to a standard, off the shelf model with the one mag and no other modifications. But I agree with others who have stated that if modifications have been done, it could easily bump the price up, depending on the mods. The real question may be whether or not the value of the mods is in line with the asking price. I saw one recently going for over $600, but it was very well equipped for that price. I've also seen my share at $300+ that had mods that did justify the higher asking price.

BoonDocks36, Joe13 and U201491 like this.
  13. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

AND we can hardly feed the overpriced things!

14. Mongo1

Mongo1 Santiam Canyon Active Member

I put a Volquartzen trigger in mine. Worth every penny. They make a complete 10 22 rifle. I think it costs more than a thousand dollars.

U201491 likes this.
  15. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

:eek:ff topic:

Marlin 60's are awesome straight out of the box.

I have 2, ones 20 years old and the other is almost 40 (just bought for $80 - needed a lot of cleaning) They shoot the same and have no mods done to them.

If your ok with a tube fed mag and aren't looking for something to Mod, they are hard to beat.

<I smoked a lot of people with higher end 10/22's at that last Rimfire contest>

Nick Burkhardt and etrain16 like this.
  16. lucifermonkey

lucifermonkey Portland, OR Well-Known Member

+1 on the Volquartzen trigger. Night and day difference.

etrain16 likes this.
  17. etrain16

I've got 2 model 60's, both 1983 vintage. They are awesome rifles, very reliable and very accurate. I got mine from my dad for Christmas, and I've got my brother's too - he didn't want his when he got older, so he offered it to me and I took it, happily.

I've got a Volquartzen trigger kit on my 10/22, it really does make a huge difference. I wouldn't sell it for under $300 with that trigger kit on it.

18. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

The Marlin 7000 is a great 22

etrain16 likes this.
  19. etrain16

If you can find them, yes. I bought one a few months back and am working on touching up the finish a bit. You're right, it is a nice rifle too. I really like the bull barrel.

20. BlindedByScience

BlindedByScience Vancouver WA Well-Known Member

I do think the older stock / metal trigger group rifles are worth a little more. How much more is a good question.

Mine is very old, so when I swapped out the barrel and stock, you can bet I saved the OE pieces. The old wood stocks are actually very nice, and mine is in great shape. Other than the trigger which the nice guys at Brimstone worked over for me, I can return it to the stock condition at any time.