JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't believe in 'threatening deadly force,' because that is a challenge to someone. And sometimes when you challenge someone...certain people are SO weird and SO nuts, they will come at you anyway...even if you are pointing a gun at them. And then you have to make a choice whether to take their life or not.

The ONE AND ONLY TIME in my life I EVER threatened someone with a gun was the night the drug dealer decided to set up shop in the parking lot of the condos where I lived. After the third night of this coming-and-going crap with his customers, (cops weren't doing a thing about it) I finally went out there at 3AM with my S/W 4506. And this guy was BIG. He walked up to me, but I never raised the gun. I just held it down by my side. He stops and looks at me.

"Get the (blank) out of here," I told him. "And don't ever show your drug dealing (blank) here again!"

He tells me to (blank) off and says he's bringing back his friends. I told him go ahead, and I would be happy to shoot them all for him as well.
Truth is, I was shaking, scared, usual stuff. I didn't really want to shoot the guy, either him or his friends, but I tried not to show I was scared. I never actually pointed the 45 at him, but he saw it all right.

The guy grumbles, complains...and leaves. Never saw him again. I also don't want to be put in that position ever again. My wife said later I was stupid for even going out there with the gun. Meh. She was probably right. The next time we had problems in the parking lot, I just called the cops and made the situation sound way worse than it was...to get their attention and get them to show up, which they did.

Good article. For sure, review/refresh yourself on applicable ORS sections. If time and circumstances permit: firm, loud, command voice warning "Stay Back! Stay Away! I WILL shoot you!" combined with non-verbal communication of off arm extended, palm out, fingers upward. Create distance or seek cover. If gun is holstered master hand firing grip should be established or if it's in hand then at a compressed ready with muzzle depressed or in SUL. If your training has been ingrained and practiced it will take over at your moment of decision. The Principle of 9P: Prior Planning + Perfect Practice Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

A person can be openly armed on their property at any time. With the couple I think the husband should be fine. The wife is questionable but the DA will have to show women's lives don't matter if they try to charge her.

My take away is I need more slings. I have basically, range rifles. If I were to grab one in an emergency and inadvertently flag a peaceful protester burning my car in front of my house on the public road, I would more likely be in trouble than the arsonists.

Good article. For sure, review/refresh yourself on applicable ORS sections. If time and circumstances permit: firm, loud, command voice warning "Stay Back! Stay Away! I WILL shoot you!" combined with non-verbal communication of off arm extended, palm out, fingers upward. Create distance or seek cover. If gun is holstered master hand firing grip should be established or if it's in hand then at a compressed ready with muzzle depressed or in SUL. If your training has been ingrained and practiced it will take over at your moment of decision. The Principle of 9P: Prior Planning + Perfect Practice Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Command voice warnings are great, may draw others attention (possible witnesses).

No need, IMO, to include threat of force type in such commands used. YMMV.

Practice command voice at the range, PRIOR to draw, acquire, shoot.

Handy.

Threaten?

Nah...

Either do or don't do, no threaten.
Dad always say you never pull a weapon you dont intend to use.

A wise man once said.
b24209681ebd0609dba15399dcd7f3d0.jpg

Problem is.....threatening has been expanded and is not just limited to words anymore.

Is this "Threatening?"

Gun_pointing_finger_2.jpg

Then, perhaps it also includes biting your pop tart into the shape of a gun? Rrrrright..... that sort of "gun" in school warrants grave consequences?

Aloha, Mark

(somewhat in jest, but still...)

Increasingly lately, it appears that one should only threaten deadly force after all the armchair quarterbacks have completely analyzed the situation over a period of days/weeks at their computers, safe in the comfort of their home, and have decided everything that occurred was entirely and completely wrong....
.... In advance one should first have followed their expert, highly experienced opinion that the gun used was the wrong gun, the caliber used was the wrong caliber, the fear of harm/death wasn't harmy/deathy enough, how they never would have been there in the first place, they would have called 911 because you should always wait for the cops that may or may not arrive, should have trained as extensively as they say they have, plus there should have been a good body-cam, car-cam, and, and, and , etc, etc, etc. ...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads