JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What's a CCW permit? Neither Oregon or Washington issue such a thing.

OOOO mister technical has showed up!! Gee glad you could correct everyone.:s0054:

So in Washington,if you have had your permit for ever and never let it lapse,I believe they won't delay?
But since I let mine lapse a few years back,they have to call and I get delayed,sometimes until I'm done BSin',and most times I get a call on the way home.
So maybe an hour.
I don't have a common name but they still do some checking anyway

OOOO mister technical has showed up!! Gee glad you could correct everyone.:s0054:

So in Washington,if you have had your permit for ever and never let it lapse,I believe they won't delay?
But since I let mine lapse a few years back,they have to call and I get delayed,sometimes until I'm done BSin',and most times I get a call on the way home.
So maybe an hour.
I don't have a common name but they still do some checking anyway

Details are important, especially when the only "weapon" you are allowed to carry in Washington with a Concealed Pistol License is a pistol. "CCW" is a misnomer.

If your concealed pistol license is expired the dealer has to wait for your local LE agency to do the background and proceed. On that note, I'd encourage everyone to write their legislators in Washington and tell them they need to eliminate the local LE agencies from the equation for handgun transfers. There is no point with NICS, especially since all the locals do is NICS along with a locals check that won't show anything that NICS doesn't. All the current handgun transfer system accomplishes is making YOU the customer wait for your handgun if you don't have a CPL.

That still won't help you if you get constantly delayed by NICS.

Details are important, especially when the only "weapon" you are allowed to carry in Washington with a Concealed Pistol License is a pistol. "CCW" is a misnomer.

Actually, you can also carry a concealed revolver or other handgun in Washington with a CPL. You are not limited to pistols. If you want to pick nits be nit picky.

I buy all my weapons from Sweetbeard. Usually new, unfired, or very limited use (Nothing over 200 rounds), no background check, and always competitively priced and he rotates his stock weekly.

(Just don't buy a scoped rifle from him) :s0131:

I don't have my CWP yet. I'm currently living in Washington. I was told 2-4 days waiting time for a background check for the handgun i bought Wednesday ( 2days ago ). Is there any way to speed up the process for me without my CWP? I'd really like to have some range time this weekend to break it in and have some much needed fun. I'f it doesn't go through today then i'll have to get it on Monday or Tuesday and wait till next weekend or even worse two weeks from now till i can find some more time.

I buy all my weapons from Sweetbeard. Usually new, unfired, or very limited use (Nothing over 200 rounds), no background check, and always competitively priced and he rotates his stock weekly.

(Just don't buy a scoped rifle from him)

LOL No more black fishnet stockings for you.:s0114:

By law, an FFL must receive a response from the NICS within 3 days or the firearm sale can proceed, although they are not required to do so. If, after 3 days, the sale is completed and later it is determined the buyer should not have received the firearm, then the firearm must be retrieved. If a buyer is denied the firearm, the buyer can appeal the decision.

Just stumbled upon this. I'f this is true i could get it tomorrow if the background check doesn't come by today... right? I know my background check will come back approved.

By law, an FFL must receive a response from the NICS within 3 days or the firearm sale can proceed, although they are not required to do so. If, after 3 days, the sale is completed and later it is determined the buyer should not have received the firearm, then the firearm must be retrieved. If a buyer is denied the firearm, the buyer can appeal the decision.

Just stumbled upon this. I'f this is true i could get it tomorrow if the background check doesn't come by today... right? I know my background check will come back approved.

I think that is true in OR as well, but a lot of the gun shops will not release the gun without hearing from the NICS. The key there is that it may be given to you, not that it has to be. It is possible that they will release it to you if you show them what you found, but they also have the option to hold on to it until they hear back.

It's up do the dealer. The dealer does not HAVE to release it to you. In fact acting too anxious might make them a little leary of doing business with you. ;)

I think that is true in OR as well, but a lot of the gun shops will not release the gun without hearing from the NICS. The key there is that it may be given to you, not that it has to be. It is possible that they will release it to you if you show them what you found, but they also have the option to hold on to it until they hear back.

I guess i hoped there was a number for the background checkers i could call or something along those lines to get it through the system quicker. Today is the nicest day in a long time and i was praying for it to get processed today. Only chances of showers this weekend too... which is great compared to what we have been getting near Vancouver. Looks like I'll just have to be patient. The government offices close in an hour >.<

5 day wait in WA without a permit,so no matter how long they have to respond.And I believe that 3 day thing is for permit holders.
So if I,a person with a CPL,buy a gun and get delayed,then in 3 days they should give me the gun.

Or do they do the nics after the 5 day wait? Been a few years.
Since the early 80s that I bought a gun without having a carry permit.

A few months ago I picked up a pistol, the background check was done online (no phone calls) and I was out in 10 minutes. The FFL never cared for my CHL and called it "just another piece of ID". I have never had to wait X amount of days to get my gun so I don't have any comments on that topic. If someone has a CHL, they should be able to just get the firearm without a BGC..... because if the criminal wanted to get a gun, he or she would go the private route.
The comment was made that someone with a CHL/CCW or whatever can conceal a rifle or whatever..... I am not sure if that is legal because my license is for a conceal HANDGUN not a conceal firearm.... so if anyone knows the laws please share. I know by law I can conceal my Draco AK pistol.... :) and a lot of people think that is a rifle... but it's not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top