JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I've got a hankering for another NFA project. It has been too long since the last one. Said last one was a dumpster-fire, process-wise (thank you 41F), but that is another topic.

The main interest at the present is adding a machine-gun to the stable. I found a great one here that fits the bill, the side-kick is more than hip, and financing is not a problem. The coming train-wreck of Oregon gun laws, however, is a concern. I will hash out that last hurdle with the aforementioned life-mate tomorrow on the way up to a rather funky cocktail party with friends this weekend.

All that aside, a class of NFA-regulated shotguns that has been kind of my list to build some time now is a Whippet:
  • Semi-automatic.
  • Cut-down barrel.
  • Shortened stock, but still enough to kind of shoulder it.
  • Some have a loop to carry over the arm, but under a coat. (Though historically interesting, I don't consider this an essential even remotely.)
Some vintage examples, would be the kind the Barrow gang employed:

bonnie-and-clyde_lovers-on-the-lamb_hd_768x432-16x9.jpg

7XM1Snl.jpg

bc_8.png
Not totally set on how to approach it. A few options —

Kick'n old school:
  1. Obtain a vintage self-loader (e.g., Model 11, Auto-5, et al.).
  2. File the paperwork and pay the tax to los Federales.
  3. After approval, engrave, chop the barrel and stock.
Or cut a Russkie down to size:
  1. Acquire a Saiga.
  2. Handle paperwork/tax with our alphabet soup friends.
  3. With stamp in hand, engrave, and cut the barrel.
(Leaning away from this one because I can't believe what Saigas are going for now.)

Or Yo, slap a butt on that Remington:

1. Obtain a V3 TAC-13.
  2. Handle the brain-dead, bureaucratic horsecrap.
  3. Engrave and slap a stock on it, assuming some standard Remington stock would work on this contraption.
(Leaning towards this one the most, assuming they run right and stocks are available.)

Or

z6UYh65.jpg

Thoughts? Caveats? Wacky ideas? Thanks, friends. :s0155:

Sweet Jesus, this one has gone so wildly off-topic so fast, it is most stunning. Fortunately, I love the surreal and have the great patience. :s0112:

Thank goodness that it is Friday. Best of wishes, amigos! :s0155:

Sacrilege! :eek: Chop down a Mossberg or Benelli or even a Drilling if you must. Poor John browning will be rolling over in his grave I tell ya!

Get a new fab A5 and chop it down. ;)
I'm not a big fan of the stock conversion, but a shot barrel would be cool! A short barrel would make it a lot like what some British used in the jungles of the south pacific. My pops is planning on dooing this to some Stevens 520's... ran into a snag with the 520-30 having a single hump tho.
With the 1897 action having that bolt slam back, it's just a range toy to me now.
I'd get a newer A5 and get the barrel down to 20" or 22".
Tho i doubt that constitutes NFA...

I thought you just mispelled "whip it"...

Cool idea @Flymph. I didn't know they were making new ones. Thanks much.

Interesting point on the etymology; I've seen both, "whip it" and "whippet". The latter being more common in print, at least what I've seen in my travels, but former as well. :s0155:

Owning one of these requires the donning of leather chaps...you prepared?

I'm more of a pomaded, sport-coated, Khaki-panted, and occasionally ascot-wearing man. But if sacrifices have to be made, well, I'm prepared. However, how leathery are we talking?

Dios mío ... you guys know how to make me laugh. Not much help on this project, but, damn it, the belly laughs are something else. :p

Cool idea @Flymph. I didn't know they were making new ones. Thanks much.

Interesting point on the etymology; I've seen both, "whip it" and "whippet". The latter being more common in print, at least what I've seen in my travels, but former as well. :s0155:
Well, since I only know the song I guess I learned something new! ;)

The problem with the new one is you could buy three or four old models for the same price as a new one.

As I quickly skimmed this thread I started to think and worry that I ate a big bag of shrooms, NPH style!

Well, since I only know the song I guess I learned something new! ;)

Well, it is vintage, raunchy fun:

The problem with the new one is you could buy three or four old models for the same price as a new one.

Holy crap, that is what I found too. Wow, good they are making new ones, I guess, but at that rate ... :eek:

OK, well, the new wacky Remington shorty may be the way to go. Or, screw it, @TeacherSmurf may be right on the machine-gun plan. (We'll be confined in a jeep for a couple hours tomorrow, then again the following. I reckon we'll figure it out. :s0155:)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top