JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://humanevents.com/2014/12/01/when-assault-weapons-saved-koreatown/?utm_source=gnpdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl
When 'assault weapons' saved Koreatown
58852252.jpg
By: Ryan James Girdusky
12/1/2014 12:12 AM
This year marked the 20th anniversary of the Los Angeles riots, sparked by the acquittal of four Los Angeles Police Department officers accused of beating the now-deceased Rodney King. During the five days, mobs around Los Angeles looted stores, burnt 3,767 buildings, caused more than $1 billion in property damage, and led to the deaths of more than 50 people and left another 4,000 injured. A story that has been forgotten since then is that of the brave storeowners in Koreatown who fended off mobs with handguns, rifles and assault weapons.
On the second day of the riots, the police had abandoned much of Koreatown. Jay Rhee, a storeowner in the area, stated to The Los Angeles Times, "we have lost faith in the police
With the cops nowhere to be found, hundreds of people marauded through the streets towards Koreatown. The neighborhood suffered 45 percent of all the property damage and five fatalities of storeowners during the riots. Having had enough of waiting for police, Korean storeowners assembled into militias to protect themselves, their families, and businesses.
According to the Los Angeles Times, "From the rooftops of their supermarkets, a group of Koreans armed with shotguns and automatic weapons peered onto the smoky streets…Koreans have turned their pastel-colored mini-malls into fortresses against looters tide."
Rhee claimed that the storeowners shot off 500 rounds into the sky and ground in order to break up the masses of people. The only weapons able to clear that much ammo in a very short time are assault weapons. Single shot pistols or rifles might not have been able to deter the crowd hell-bent on destroying the neighborhood.
By the end of the day storeowners had slain four looters and fended off the mob. It would be 24 more hours until the National Guard arrived and another two days before the riots were completely put down. Had the riots occurred just a couple of years later when the Congress banned assault weapons, many of these storeowners may not have been so lucky. It's situations like the LA riots, which, while being rare, can occur anywhere from the streets of Los Angeles to far off countries during the Arab Spring.
Assault weapons are legal for this reason: they protect people from extreme cases of assault.
Many liberal pundits like talk show host Piers Morgan, who immigrated to this country several years ago, cannot see a reason why assault weapons might be practical to be owned by civilians. Had he been a Korean immigrant in South Los Angeles in 1992, he would have been decrying, "from my cold dead hands."
In the wake of the recent tragedy in Connecticut, it is important to focus discussion with a more broad perspective on lawful gun ownership. Instead of creating a media blitz that fails to remember the day when a neighborhood was saved by an assault weapon. But lest it be forgotten, assault weapons don't save neighborhoods, people save neighborhoods

I remember that like it was yesterday!!!!:eek: That was all the warning I needed and left that place vowing never to return!!! I was a traveling telephone contractor out of Washington (where there was no work at the time) To this day I have kept my word to stay out of that state.;)

I used to work with an amazing salesman. Older black guy that could sell you a $5 bill for $10.
I was learning from him and he had the most amazing attitude just contagious. I asked him how he stays so excited and positive, and he told me he used to sell vacuums door to door in LA duting those riots!
He said every door he knocked on they thought he was a looter and pulled guns on him. He said after that anything is easy.

Anyway,
In the mob, anarchy scenario semi-auto with hi cap mags are the only way to go.
You don't see any single shot rifles on the walking dead do you?!

I remember doing my business around NE PDX with a 1911 and an AK-47 under a blanket on the seat. I was perfectly prepared to run my half ton Dodge PU over any number of rioters if need be! I will never forget Reginald Denny, dragged out of his truck and beaten into a vegetative state! :mad: He77 with rioters and looters! They better never become my problem! I might throw a firecracker or something at them. :cool:

I did not get caught in them, but as a young child, seeing the skyline lit up with burning buildings, and watching the news, these a** clowns now have no clue how to riot.

Of course LA County Sheriff and LA PD were known to swing a pretty hard and fast billy club back in the day, for minimal reason other than just because.

They need to bring back that billy club swinging.
At least when it comes to these riots and "protests"
A bunch of street kids, homeless, and U of P students blocking traffic and just stirring the pit aren't protesting. They are pushing the blue line just on this side of anarchy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top