JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I watched this video this morning and found it interesting. It covers the history and mechanism of wheellocks. It also has slow motion footage of firing said. Anywho, I just thought I'd pass it along. Cheers.

Some day I'd like to get my hands on one of these, but they tend to be a bit scarce.

The guy doing the video must have been on some kind of production schedule, resorting to a bare ball in a rifle. Looks like he just forgot the patches and didn't want to admit it.

Sorry for the late reply...cool video and thanks for sharing CountryGent.
I need to get a video of my wheellock pistol up and on here...someday...:)

In regards to patching a ball...
Patching a ball is a very old method , old as in a 17th century method , of promoting accuracy and keeping fouling down in a muzzleloader...
But it wasn't commonly used in military firearms as it it slowed the rate of fire down...the military solution was to use a severely undersized round ball..which did indeed keep fouling down , ( somewhat ) and the rate of fire up...but also resulted in poor accuracy.

The Patch and ball combo really caught on , here in America with the American Longrifle and the American use of muskets and fusils during the French and Indian War , in addition to a much greater extant and usage during our Revolution and War of 1812....
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads