JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wanted to start a discussion about how everyone's sequence of reloading operations works! I'm currently only reloading for 9mm and .380, but I'll expand to .45 once I scavenge enough mixed range brass. So, my process is to collect all the brass from stuff I shoot, and pick up shinies at the range when I'm not in anyone's way. I deprime the brass first with a Harvey hand decapper whilst watching the tube, then wet pin tumble for ~ 1 hour, with a capful of turbosonic, somewhere around 750-1000 pieces in a load. After rinsing it thoroughly, and separating out the media as best I can, I'll tumble it with water and fridge magnets for 15 minutes, which does a great job collecting stray pins. Then dump the water, spread the shiny brass out on a towel on the kitchen table, work it over with another towel to get most of the wet off, and dry it in a 170 degree oven, which I turn off when I put the brass in. ( I've got a dehydrator style brass dryer ordered, so the oven thing will be changing. ) I'll often just leave the brass in there overnight, and collect it in the morning.
I set up my LnL progressive with dies to full length resize, prime, and flare the cases first, and run them in lots, and put them in baggies with what primer I used written on the bag. This frees up a lot of stations for my loading process, and lets me make sure everything got a primer, and that the primers are seated well. There's some inspection as I bag it up, too, that lets me catch issues that I haven't caught already.
For loading, I've got the Hornady case activated powder measure in the first station, a lockout die to prevent squibs and doubles in the second, MrBulletfeeder ( mini) in the third, then the seating die, and lastly the Lee factory crimp die. I am really liking the Lee deluxe 4 die sets, they are producing rounds that case gauge every time, and consistent OALS.

By splitting up loading and case prep, I find that the relatively harsh movements of sizing and priming are kept separate from when there is powder in the cases to be bounced out. It also frees up stations so I can separate some of the operations; the powder thru expander setup seemed pretty sticky to me, and was a frequent source of having to stop and mess with things not lining up. It's all a work in progress, and will surely change over time, but this is working well to produce good amounts of ammo for competition practice.

So, what's your method?

I started hand loading Dec 2011 when I realized Wifey and I could go through $40.00 or so worth of ammo in 1-11/2 hours.

Dirty brass kept in garage until tumbled with walnut/carwax.
Cleaned brass in manageable amounts in loading/computer/small bedroom.
When time permits, brass sized/decapped and placed in container on loading table.
Chosen caliber to be loaded get's primed(100-200) and may sit for a day, or five, on loading table.
Loading day, classic western/golden oldies/sock-hop music turned on low volume.
Single stage loading with RCBS Uniflow and Rockcrusher press commences.
Finished ammo goes in closet or under bed.

1585406529236.png

For pistol.....
Tumble brass till clean
Put in progressive loader and crank out rounds.

For rifle on a progressive::
Stage 1 is a lube/dcaping die
Stage 2 is sizer
Tumble
Swage (if needed)
Trim with 3-way cutter (if needed)
Change out top plate
Stage 2 is prime
Stage 3 is powder
Stage 4 is seat
Stage 5 is crimp (based on caliber)

My process is very similar to yours, although I use a vibratory tumbler with walnut shells and Flitz for cleaning, and I run a single stage press. Just recently added a Lee APP to my loading tool box, which resulted in a considerable increase in my production rate over my Rock Chucker. I use it for decapping, sizing, flaring, seating, and crimping, priming I do by hand with a Frankford Arsenal hand tool. Even though I use carbide dies, I lube the cases lightly with Hornady One Shot, so they get a second cleaning in plain corn cob after sizing. I do each operation in batches, and leaving out cleaning, and priming that I do while sitting in front of the TV in the evening, it's looking like I can get a realistic production rate of around 350-400 rounds an hour with the APP. At best, the RC was getting 1/3 of that, so it was definitely a good investment. Now in the interest of full disclosure, this only applies to pistol ammo, 9mm and .45 ACP, I'll still be using the RC for rifle rounds. Later.

Dave

I tend to shoot frequently but fewer rounds so I sometimes don't have a lot of brass to deal with at once.

Typically after shooting I'll perform a 'pre-cleaning' of my brass, dry it and dump it back into storage.
My pre cleaning is typically rinse the dirt off my brass (if any) then throw it into a single, plastic jug with hot water & Dawn and tumble the brass (without pins) for 15-20 minutes just to get it clean and degreased for storage. I found a large size round plastic container I get my psyllium supplement in fits my Harbor Freight tumbler perfectly and works well for this. I plan to glue some plastic runners inside one of them to 'upset' the brass as its tumbling to facilitate this and maybe try it as a larger container with pins for final tumbling as the two, separate rubber containers that came with it are sometimes a bit short on capacity.

Then I'll start with various calibers and size, deprime, trim & flare if pistol then tumble, dry and put into clear, plastic 'ready' jugs. This way I always have prepped brass ready to prime & charge when ready. Sometimes I'll even prime my 'ready' brass to shorten the final steps one more process.

Bottom line is I basically have my loading broken down into basically four steps - pre clean - brass prep & final tumble - prime - then charge and seat bullets.

I try to keep more 'prepped' brass on hand than I shoot so I can quickly assemble rounds at any given time.

Last Edited:
Hey Mikej! Your room looks amazing like something one might see in a reloading instruction book. Nice! Mine? Well ..... not so much so. ;)

I dug through the "Pictures of your loading room" thread for a "neat" picture. I'm going to neaten and dust the table off today so I can load 9mm. I don't NEED 9mm loaded. I have plenty ready to shoot now. I'll make more as a sorta middle finger to those 9mm hoarders trying to gouge buyers needing some 9mm now in classified ads. :s0155:

I'll make more as a sorta middle finger to those 9mm hoarders trying to gouge buyers needing some 9mm now in classified ads.
Yea - I got caught 'behind the line' on 9mm bullets but I ain't gonna sweat it. Got plenty of other stuff to shoot and I can either order some Xtreme online or wait a bit and hope some show up locally soon.

Mike, I could go through your $40-worth of ammunition in better than five minutes, at four shots of factory .45-70 Govt per minute.
YEAH, no kidding! You've been getting gouged on ammo over there for years.

Yea - I got caught 'behind the line' on 9mm bullets but I ain't gonna sweat it. Got plenty of other stuff to shoot and I can either order some Xtreme online or wait a bit and hope some show up locally soon.

If you weren't several thousand miles away i'd get you a couple/three hundred Montana Gold bullets just for being a nice guy!

If you weren't several thousand miles away i'd get you a couple/three hundred Montana Gold bullets just for being a nice guy!
Oh man ! I appreciate that!

Yea kinda wanted to get out and shoot my PCC but all I have are some hard cast rebated lead 125 gr. RN 9mm and my PCC shoots them like a shotgun! Deadly accurate out of my CZ 75 however!

Oh man ! I appreciate that!

Yea kinda wanted to get out and shoot my PCC but all I have are some hard cast rebated lead 125 gr. RN 9mm and my PCC shoots them like a shotgun! Deadly accurate out of my CZ 75 however!

Hilarious! I though I was replying to tac with the 1000s mile comment. :s0140: What a maroon. (Me). I'd still be happy to get you some? I was just looking at the MG web site yesterday thinking of doing a case buy and splitting them up, for my cost, on the board. I'm thinking there are going to be another rush of folks getting into rolling their own coming along.

For pistol it's a lot simpler and faster. Usually..

Tumble in walnut with a capful of mineral spirits. Separate from the media.

Load on the progressive. All the dies are already set up so its pretty much plug and play.

Used the RCBS Ammomaster 2000 for about 30 years, then switched over to the Dillon 650 a couple years ago.

I still do onesy twoseys on the RCBS Rock chucker supreme for now.

Rifle?
Don't even get me started. I'm so damned anal about rifle reloading it sometimes makes ME sick! :p

I have just two presses, unlike some of you that make each cartridge on a different press - one guy I talk to in ME has fourteen presses - one for each calibre....

My Rockchucker was bought in 1978, I load everything bar the .357Mag on that, slowly, the way I like to do it. The Lee with a multi-stage doo-dad is used only for the .357Mag.

When I finally get into loading the Snider, that will be without any dies at all, although I DO have a set. Unfortunately, they are 1" thread, and my Rockchucker head does not remove...it is, however, easy to load without using any of the hugely expensive die set, just the loading press as a press.

I'm really liking the way the lock & load press has the bushings that allow easy die changes, while leaving the dies set just how you had them. Good system, looks like you can get adaptors to use their bushings on other makes of press, with different sized threads, too!

For 9mm I wet tumble with soap to get off the dirt. I then dry in a dehydrator (I got the American made food dryer rather than the Chinese copy of the same food dryer that is sold for brass drying for about 30$ more) I then lube and feed it to the 650 in station 1 I have a few arms decapping die in station 2 a Dillon sizing die station 3 a lee sizing die (the lee sizer does a much better job than the Dillon) in station 4 is a Lyman m die.

I then tumble again with stainless pins then have my kids separate by headstamp (some cases don't work well with heavy cast bullets) I then run back through the Dillon to load without a sizing die and with a bullet feeder.

By pre processing the brass and separating by headstamp I've been able to get my rejection rate to 1 or 2 a thousand. I finish by case gauging with a hundo gauge and transferring into mtm boxes.

For rifle I run a similar process except I trim on the press using a lee quick trim die then swage pockets with a rcbs die on a single stage or cut with the Lyman tool in a cordless drill.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top