JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an old Lyman single stage and it works fine, but I am thinking that as the cost of shooting goes up, loading becomes more important and the press is the critical element, I might move up. I hope this is not something that has been discussed to death. If so ignore me. If not, it would be interesting to know what everyone around here uses. I am thinking more about Progressives, because most people start on a single. It is the second step up that might be interesting. I think the criteria would be
:Cost
:Reliability
:Attachments available
:Accuracy
:Ease of change of Cal.
:How often does it stop up

I still have my Lyman C press after 42 years of loading. Switched to a Rockchucker as a primary press in the early 90's and have been happy with it ever since. I periodically consider moving to a Dillon progressive but have just never made the move. My highest volume shooting has always been 5.56/223 but I have never loaded for it because, until recently, I could buy bulk ammo for less than I could load it for. I doubt you would ever regret moving to a progressive.

Dillon 550 here. The no B.S. warranty sold me. It fits my needs perfectly, changes calibers quickly, and being a progressive, allows me to spend more time shooting and less time loading. YMMV

A Rockchucker, mostly. I have a Lee handpress for when I don't want to be antisocial and Lee classic loader kits for every caliber I shoot. I've got a few that I had made back in the day when you could write them a letter and they'd make it for you, like 338 Win and 244 Rem. Easy to use, not at all speedy, but produce great results.

You'll find a lot of Blue Dillon guys on this forum. There are several threads regarding progressives.

I think based on your criteria and how you weigh them I think you'll find that the Lee, followed CLOSELY by the Hornady will be your leaders. From there, I'd say that Dillon has captured the hearts of many progressive reloaders and RCBS comes in after Dillon.

Given that Hornady throws in 1000 free bullets with the purchase of the press and you can get a case feeder and bullet feeder for it, I think you'd be hard pressed to beat that combination.

Dillon knows what they're doing and they've been doing it a long time. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the big three (Red, Green, Blue) you'll just be spending more GREEN for the Blue, which might have you seeing Green...and getting RED in the face.

There are plenty of reviews on the web and Youtube where you can watch different presses in action and decide which one you want to choose.

If you choose a Dillon, I know that many people really like Brian Enos' site for ordering as he makes it easy to choose. http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.html

Bigger question on what to buy is: How much do you want/need to reload?
How many rounds per week or month? You need to answer, to procede.
After years on a single stage, I purchased a Redding turret press that, if I remember correctly, doubled my single stage press output. Very sturdy and accurate and pretty basic. I still use it for my single shots.
Then I bought a Dillon 450(discontinued) and went to over 300 rds per hour at a comfortable pace. Now a Dillon 550 at 400 plus, and a Dillon (used) RL1000 and close to 1000 per hour.
A friend of mine has a row of Lee progressives set up for pistol calibers, as they are very affordable and he doesn't like change-overs.
Pick your medicine, you just have to FEED these things. This game will allow you to spend any amount you are comfortable with!

I still have my rock chucker for loading my hunting rounds. I use a Hornady Lock n Load for all my bulk reloading. I did a lot fo research before deciding on the Hornady and in the end what sold was that caliber changes were far easier and A LOT less expensive than that of the Dillon. The customer service and warranties are virtually identical so that never had an effect on the decision.

A Rockchucker, mostly. I have a Lee handpress for when I don't want to be antisocial and Lee classic loader kits for every caliber I shoot. I've got a few that I had made back in the day when you could write them a letter and they'd make it for you, like 338 Win and 244 Rem. Easy to use, not at all speedy, but produce great results.

Wow, classic loaders, I just can't wrap my mind around hammering cartridges together, something about fear of BOOM! They must work and be safe but heck.

Wow, classic loaders, I just can't wrap my mind around hammering cartridges together, something about fear of BOOM! They must work and be safe but heck.

More like tapping them together, but I feel your anxiety. I don't use them for priming since that part to me just seems crazy. But they do a great job of neck sizing and COL.

I still have and use my Lyman turret press I bought 20+ years ago. Use it for my hunting loads for my rifles, which I load carefully one at a time. For my pistol, revolver and practice rifle loads I use a Dillon RL550B. Can really crank out the rounds on that machine.
Love 'em both. Good quality never goes out of style.

I use my Dillon RL550B to pump out .45, .40, and .357 mag. I use it in single stage mode to do .223 and have some Redding Competition dies set up on it for the .308.
It seems to do it all just fine.
Its the only press I've ever had.

B

Thanks guys, this is really interesting, although it makes the decision harder. One question that I thought of. How accurate are the powder drops. 1/2 Gr. or 1 gr?

I use my Dillon RL550B to pump out .45, .40, and .357 mag. I use it in single stage mode to do .223 and have some Redding Competition dies set up on it for the .308.
It seems to do it all just fine.
Its the only press I've ever had.

B

Never thought of that. Since I have the "luxury" of having two presses, I just use the Lyman. Might have to try that. Maybe I'll have a turret for sale!

Old Rockchucker for rifle and short run pistol--38-40, 44 mag.

Dillon 550B for 9mm, 40, 45, 38/357, 38 S&W, 32 ACP and soon 223.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top