JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Blackened stainless. There are a couple different processes, and they are guarded by the manufacturers. I've had a blackened stainless Sig 239 for many years. It is holding up extremely well. I also like Ruger's blackening treatment of their stainless.

God I hate chrome and stainless.
Stainless isn't a finish - it's that metal the entire gun is made of. AND I appreciate your sentiment in that I used to DESPISE guns made of SS - Until I broke down and bought one and now own two ! Nearly hassle free upkeep and if you scratch it you can polish it out. Nickle? I owned ONE nickle plated gun and never will again - look at it too long and it starts wearing off.

Also Cerakote... not a plating. Its paint.

Black Nitiride. Not plating either.

Mag Phosphate ...not a plating

Black oxide .... assuming you mean caustic bluing. Also not a plating.

You left out Gold plating...

4bb4712552074b0b200715ec3d27bed8--soaps-photos.jpg

Fair enough, should have been more general. Base metal, coating, finish, plating.

I understood that Cerakote is a ceramic. I think that would put it in to the coating category...?

I prefer bare Stainless on any gun, all of my guns are Stainless except for two of them.

I am an ocd freak about my guns and I like that I can fix a scratch and not have to worry very much about rust issues.

I have had very good service out of electroless nickle. The last Python I bought new was ordered with it and the wear is unperceivable after 35 years of moderate use. I have always liked classic nickle but the electroless seems to be harder and wear better.

If this is for a muzzle brake, looking at BCM's website, they use use either stainless or nitride treated carbon steel for corrosion resistance.
Corrosion resistance seems to a big deal with the top muzzle device manufacturers.
Makes sense.
Then it's that secret blackening treatment.

I have a nitrided barrel and it is black, so maybe that treatment produces a black finish as a by-product ?

Old School COLT bluing!!!
Polished Before Bluing, and Rust bluing are also tops!
For really special projects, Bone char, or Wood char bluing ( color case hardening) are my preferred finishes!

If this is for a muzzle brake, looking at BCM's website, they use use either stainless or nitride treated carbon steel for corrosion resistance.
Corrosion resistance seems to a big deal with the top muzzle device manufacturers.
Makes sense.
Then it's that secret blackening treatment.

I have a nitrided barrel and it is black, so maybe that treatment produces a black finish as a by-product ?

I'm partial to Electroless Nickel for it's mechanical properties, but substrate needs to bead blasted first for a matte finish.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top